Go Back   Reutterwerk Forums > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 928 Forum

Notices

Unread 05-30-2009, 06:18 AM   #1
Constantine
User
Constantine is on a distinguished road

Default 928 Super Bearings and Super Clamp from Black Sea R&D

Hi Everyone,

For those interested, we are now offering of our new 928 torque tube (TT) "Super Bearings."

The 928 Super Bearings are an upgrade to the original 928 TT bearing units and use a bigger bearing as well as a new bearing insert which grips the drive shaft better than the original bearing insert. Especially since the original Porsche bearing unit inserts have now shrunk and gotten brittle with time. The units have also been lengthened and the rubber composition changed from the original. These two changes help keep the units in their positions better.

Three Super Bearings approximate the weight of the heavy 928 TT dampener installed by the factory to do the same job. These Porsche dampeners have been known to come apart and cause problems within the TT.

The new bearing units were designed to easily rebuild your TT at your site so you can spend your money on the product and not shipping charges.

These bearing units are available for the 25mm and 28mm drive shafts at this time. All 5 speeds have 25mm drive shafts and most of the early 928s too, but later S4 versions usually have a 28mm drive shaft. Some TTs might have been changed out so what one would suspect would have a 25mm might have a later version 28mm. It is best to check before ordering.

We also offer rebuild services of your own TT that is sent to us at Vero Beach, Florida 32963 with the purchase of our Super Bearings. Buyer pays for shipping both ways but no core charge is involved and your own TT is rebuilt and sent back.

We also reduced the pricing of our 928 "Super Clamp" to better service automatic 928 owners who are concerned about thrust bearing failure of their engines. A picture showing the Super Clamp is shown below in our sig line compared to the original Porsche front flexplate clamp. Since this is an excellent WYIT upgrade while doing your TT rebuild, special package pricing is available as shown below.

All of our products are made in the U.S.A. and we are very proud of this fact. Although some believe these products can be made overseas cheaper, we chose to stay within the U.S.A. to better control the end product.

P.S. Before flaming begins, we did contribute to Rennwish but our status has not yet been changed.
928 Torque Tube (TT) Super Bearings -Rebuild your own TT to better than new specs!
928 Front Flexplate Super Clamp -Save your engine from thrust bearing failure, for all 928 automatics!
924/944/968 TT Super Bearings -Now available!

Last edited by Constantine; 06-12-2011 at 07:16 AM..
Constantine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
GlenL
Workin' on it
GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough

Minneapolis
Garage

Those are kool.

Almost makes me wish my torque tube was howling. Almost.

And that superclamp is for TT clamp creep leading to thrust bearing failure. Correct?
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
chris white
He Who Builds Things
Reutterwerk
Supporter
chris white will become famous soon enoughchris white will become famous soon enough

Marietta, NY

care to make any for the 951 crowd?
1986 944 Turbo (street 370 rwhp)
1986 944 Turbo - 3.1 liter 16v track car
1986 944 Turbo - 2.6 liter 16v track car
1986 944 Turbo - ? Project track car
1994 968 Cab
2000 Audi S4
2002 Mini Cooper
2007 Dodge Pick up
1985 Barth - 35' 500ci turbo diesel
chris white is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Mike Frye
Writer of wrongs
Mike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to behold

The Jersey Shore
Garage

Constantine,

How difficult is removing the TT compared to, say, removing the transmission?

I've done the entire clutch job and also had my trans out to replace the springs in there, but the TT has never been out.

Can the TT be removed by sliding the trans back like I had to do to remove my clutch or does the trans have to come completely out again?
Mike Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #5
Constantine
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenL View Post
Those are kool.

Almost makes me wish my torque tube was howling. Almost.

And that superclamp is for TT clamp creep leading to thrust bearing failure. Correct?

Hi Glen,

The Super Clamp stops the drive shaft creep from the front flexplate clamp, yes. This condition then causes forward thrust onto the engine's thrust bearing and could lead to premature thrust bearing failure (TBF).

Sorry for the delayed response!
928 Torque Tube (TT) Super Bearings -Rebuild your own TT to better than new specs!
928 Front Flexplate Super Clamp -Save your engine from thrust bearing failure, for all 928 automatics!

Unread 06-04-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
Constantine
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris white View Post
care to make any for the 951 crowd?
Hi Chris,

We just got the prototype in for the 924/944/968 variants! Looks very sweet and uses the same bearing and bearing bushing as you see in the 928 Super Bearings. However the prototype is a bit too big for correct TT fitment and a new rubber mold is being made to correct the sizing. The 951s are included in the 944 variant group, as you know.

We identified a few testers who have been waiting to install these in their cars for testing. Unfortunately, but as is common with this sort of endeavor, the process is taking a bit longer than expected. Stay tuned!!

By the way, impressive car collection you have there!!

Unread 06-04-2009, 06:19 AM   #7
Constantine
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frye View Post
Constantine,

I've done the entire clutch job and also had my trans out to replace the springs in there, but the TT has never been out.

Can the TT be removed by sliding the trans back like I had to do to remove my clutch or does the trans have to come completely out again?
Hi Mike,

From what others have said, the TT can be removed from a 5 speed without having to remove the trans. As you described, the trans can be slid back a bit to allow room to get the TT out. This is possible with the 5 speed TT since the drive shaft does not stick out from the TT much on either end, unlike the auto TT.

HTH!

Unread 06-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #8
Mike Frye
Writer of wrongs
Mike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to behold

The Jersey Shore
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Hi Mike,

From what others have said, the TT can be removed from a 5 speed without having to remove the trans. As you described, the trans can be slid back a bit to allow room to get the TT out. This is possible with the 5 speed TT since the drive shaft does not stick out from the TT much on either end, unlike the auto TT.

HTH!
Very cool, thanks!

(I think I need to put this on my list for this winter)
Unread 06-05-2009, 01:48 PM   #9
MGW-Fla
User
MGW-Fla is on a distinguished road

Jacksonville, Fl

Very nice, top quality products Constantine, I'm sure the engineers in Stuttgart would be impressed with your work!
1985 928S; #333; Dunkelblau/Champagne; Xpipe; AA chippped; Kinesis K28Rwheels.
1991 928S4; #364; Grand Prix White/Blue; wife's.
1994 968 Cab; #617; Speed Yellow/Black; 6 spd
MGW-Fla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Constantine
User

Thanks Mel!

Hope all is well with you and the missus!

Unread 06-08-2009, 07:40 AM   #11
chris white
He Who Builds Things
Reutterwerk
Supporter
chris white will become famous soon enoughchris white will become famous soon enough

Marietta, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Hi Chris,

We just got the prototype in for the 924/944/968 variants! Looks very sweet and uses the same bearing and bearing bushing as you see in the 928 Super Bearings. However the prototype is a bit too big for correct TT fitment and a new rubber mold is being made to correct the sizing. The 951s are included in the 944 variant group, as you know.

We identified a few testers who have been waiting to install these in their cars for testing. Unfortunately, but as is common with this sort of endeavor, the process is taking a bit longer than expected. Stay tuned!!

By the way, impressive car collection you have there!!
Thanks, I am finishing up the 3.1 16v project - are you interested in a high load test??!
1986 944 Turbo (street 370 rwhp)
1986 944 Turbo - 3.1 liter 16v track car
1986 944 Turbo - 2.6 liter 16v track car
1986 944 Turbo - ? Project track car
1994 968 Cab
2000 Audi S4
2002 Mini Cooper
2007 Dodge Pick up
1985 Barth - 35' 500ci turbo diesel
chris white is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Constantine
User

Hi Chris,

We already have a V8 944 conversion as well as a 951 as some of our test group. But please give me a call, maybe we can work something out.

By the way, you do really sweet work with your engines and one of my co-workers has picked your brain as well as did some business with you. Goes by "Chilibluepepper" on Rennlist.

Unread 06-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #13
SharkSkin
Scratchin' my Noggin
SharkSkin is on a distinguished road

Sunnyvale, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frye View Post
Constantine,

You shouldn't have needed to touch the trans to change the clutch. The front collar slides off of the stub shaft and back into the TT. The TT then drops free of the bellhousing easily, though I did have the trans mounts loose at the time this pic was taken.

Click the image to open in full size.

You'll have to free up the shifter from the console to drop the TT and once you have it out it's a 2 hour job tops to disassemble, clean(very important) and reassemble the TT. It took me a bit less time than that and I was taking pictures throughout which probably added at least 1/2 hour. More info on the process and my own thoughts as a tester here. The Cliff Notes version is, I am VERY happy with them, they haven't moved and are silent. They are designed to stay that way for a very long time, so the fact that all is well after only a few thousand miles is no surprise.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
--Douglas Adams

There is no doubt about precisely when folks began racing each other in automobiles.
It was the day they built the second automobile.
--Richard Petty
SharkSkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #14
Mike Frye
Writer of wrongs

The Jersey Shore
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkSkin View Post
You shouldn't have needed to touch the trans to change the clutch. The front collar slides off of the stub shaft and back into the TT. The TT then drops free of the bellhousing easily, though I did have the trans mounts loose at the time this pic was taken.
<snip>
Thanks,

Yeah, I had a little trouble with those damned locator pins (and pretty much everything else). In my case sliding the trans back just 1/2" made it possible to remove it and drop it out.

Thanks for the response and the write-up.
Unread 06-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #15
SharkSkin
Scratchin' my Noggin
SharkSkin is on a distinguished road

Sunnyvale, Ca

Sorry, that may be a little confusing -- there is no need to loosen/drop the TT to R&R the clutch. I mixed context a bit there between a TT R&R and a clutch R&R.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.
--Douglas Adams

There is no doubt about precisely when folks began racing each other in automobiles.
It was the day they built the second automobile.
--Richard Petty
SharkSkin is offline   Reply With Quote