Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 928 Forum

Unread 05-29-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Lizard will become famous soon enough
Default new 32V 928 intake manifold.

Gents,

In order to try to get more interest over on this board. I would like to try to gauge interest over here.

Now I will be making a custom intake manifold for my own car (2 of them), and one for a stroker. These would be made to optimize the power at 6000-6500RPM. Not above or below as not many will even spin over that.

However if a reasonable gain was to be seen from this manifold. Who would consider buying one. My goal would be to test the first one as a one off all welded. Then look at having it done in cast aluminium with the factory Porsche script cast into the top. I would likely want to make it with a better casting than factory so that you didnt have to spend hours before powder coating to get all the imperfections out.

Additionally for those in California, I would look to be having a 928 part # cast into one of the forward ribs so that those in Nazi-land could get away with running it and not having to worry about pulling it off each year or two.

But at what price point would you be interested? Would it have to be a system that would retain the original MAF, and air box? Or would you be open to a newer design?

1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUSE69 View Post
BTW, I finally fitted one of your quickshifts a couple of weeks ago.....
Have to say I'm not all that happy!! It's so damn good, that now every other car I drive feels like I'm stirring a huge bowl of porridge searching for gears

Seriously though.. I love it!!!
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Leon Speed
Shhhh, I'm analyzing

Leon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really nice
Garage

Colin, sounds interesting, but apart from the price question, I doubt that there are many cars running at 6000-6500RPM a lot. I know I am not, so the gain would be almost zero for me.
Unread 05-29-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Leon,

The parts that I design and build for cars are most certainly not for everyone.

My shifter is a prime example of that. It is extremely precise with almost ZERO freeplay. It has a much more direct feeling that some dont enjoy.

While I dont spend too much time at those power levels. I most certainly do spend time there. And I find that the 928 has more than enough get up and go off the line. So more upper power is only a downshift away.

The stock manifold does a good boost for off idle peak torque. But drastically limits the top end, and is not that even between cylinders. My goal is to remove the restriction, and get a more even flow to each of the cylinders to reduce the chance of knock, and to increase the top end power.
1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:
Have to say I'm not all that happy!! It's so damn good, that now every other car I drive feels like I'm stirring a huge bowl of porridge searching for gears

Unread 05-29-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
rad_85_928
User

rad_85_928 is on a distinguished road

Colin,

Would you consider making a manifold that worked well from 4k to 6.5k rpms for those that track their cars or is that your intent? What kind of target price are looking at?
rad_85_928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
Lizard
Sharkaholic

That would be the plan Rad,
With my cams they get peak torque around 3100, so I would be looking for peak numbers, and a good mid range too.

The price target really depends. If you want an early prototype that isnt cast and is hand made. Then the price is higher. But the casting may take a little time.

If you are interested in an intake really quick Rad, please email me directly.
Right now I do not have an idea as to the cost. But I would like the completed manifold to be affordable! There is nothing worse than some people who make parts, and then leave the price so far out that it is unobtainable.
1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:

Unread 05-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
rad_85_928
User

Colin,

I am interested in NA performance mods for my 928. Anything "bolt on" that would bring the 928 up to the level of modern four cam v8s.

Do you have a guess on the amount of power you expect from your cam and intake manifold set?

Tony
Unread 05-30-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
Lizard
Sharkaholic

While I have not confirmed the numbers as of yet, I believe that I am at 350rwhp give or take with the cams and a little tuning.
That is with stock exhaust manifolds, but with a homemade X.

With full headers, a proper exhaust system, a better intake, and possibly even modern EFI (mainly for COP or CNP). I believe that 400rwhp should be within our grasp.
But that is of course pure speculation!
1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:

Unread 05-31-2011, 09:33 AM   #8
rad_85_928
User

Colin,

What kind of gains have you seen converting a 928 to Megasquirt? Also, for the 85-86 928s what is the biggest bottleneck; the cams, heads, or intake? My quess is that a four valve head would not be the bottleneck.

Tony
Unread 05-31-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Tony,

I have not done before/after runs on an 85/86.
But I did get 310rwhp out of an 86.5 motor with MS.
That I later found out had a pretty much dead cylinder.....
Click the image to open in full size.
The piston coating was dead (that is on the high side), and the valve guides were all cooked on that cylinder (330k km iirc).
That was stock manifolds, and intake with a horribly restrictive dual 2.25" (non mandrel bent) exhaust.....
I did notice even at that level that the intake was restricting slightly.

The cams are better than S4 = to GT, but they are still super restrictive.
My new cams will help it flow, and will still show a good improvement. But for peak power a new intake and exhaust manifolds would be needed.

IMO the S3 head is better than the S4 head in a few ways. It has a much greater port velocity which helps make it more detonation resistant.
1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:

Unread 05-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #10
FUSE69
User

FUSE69 is on a distinguished road

Hi Colin,

Definitely sounds interesting!

I would say far more interesting if it enables keeping the standard LH & EZK (with sharktuner)... Bearing in mind that John S. is working on an ITB setup using his stuff... presumably this means he is working on a way of replacing the MAF with MAP.

If this is correct and John succeeds, IMO there is no real need for an aftermarket ECU, other than the want or desire for a higher fidelity tuning range or adding COP etc... This can significantly reduce the cost of an ITB set-up.

With the above in mind... I would say that the price point would need to be a good chunk of Benjamin's below Mike Simards ITB set-up...
(Not totally sure of the final cost of Mikes set-up installed... but if LH & EZK can be used with some sharktuner magic... then I would guess around the 4K mark)

Would be quite interested in how you would envision the layout for air intake if you go away from the standard filter set-up... I'm sure aesthetics will have a reasonably large input to a purchase decision for many buyers...

All the best.

//Ben
FUSE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Hello Ben,

My target price is well below the $4k mark.

While I do know some of Johns work on Adrians car. I have not asked for permission to share what I know. I do understand that astetics would play a huge roll! And I could probably make it work with the stock airbox. But would rather make it so that it worked with Johns change to the brain.
However I am going over to VEMS with Cayenne COP for my car. This simplifies tuning and the response time is massively different.
1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:

Unread 05-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Hello Ben,

My target price is well below the $4k mark.

While I do know some of Johns work on Adrians car. I have not asked for permission to share what I know. I do understand that astetics would play a huge roll! And I could probably make it work with the stock airbox. But would rather make it so that it worked with Johns change to the brain.
However I am going over to VEMS with Cayenne COP for my car. This simplifies tuning and the response time is massively different.
1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:

Unread 06-01-2011, 02:49 AM   #13
FUSE69
User

FUSE69 is on a distinguished road

Yep sounds very interesting....

My long term plans once I have your camshafts fitted, has been to the get ITB's on my car, with the proviso that I don't need to swap out the ECU's...

But the ITB's are a big chunk of cash, so will take some time to get that together along with other things that perhaps need to happen along the way, for example Greg's oil control system, decent headers etc...

So an intake system that's perhaps midway (both in performance and financially) is indeed interesting....

FUSE69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FUSE69 For Your Post:
Lizard (06-01-2011)
Unread 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #14
Lizard
Sharkaholic

That is PRICELESS Ben, I think that is quote material right there! About the shifter that is.

Also hold off on Greg's oil control system. I am also designing a dry sump pan that allows one to maintain A/C & alt in factory locations. The only thing you need to do is locate the tank somewhere..... It will be a work of art is all I will say at this time. And as always will be doing everything I can to keep the cost WAY down.

1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:

Unread 06-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Rick Carter
Glad to be here
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Rick Carter is a splendid one to beholdRick Carter is a splendid one to beholdRick Carter is a splendid one to beholdRick Carter is a splendid one to beholdRick Carter is a splendid one to beholdRick Carter is a splendid one to beholdRick Carter is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post

That is PRICELESS Ben, I think that is quote material right there! About the shifter that is.

Also hold off on Greg's oil control system. I am also designing a dry sump pan that allows one to maintain A/C & alt in factory locations. The only thing you need to do is locate the tank somewhere..... It will be a work of art is all I will say at this time. And as always will be doing everything I can to keep the cost WAY down.

Keep me posted.

Truth or Tradition

Biblical Unitarian
Rick Carter is offline   Reply With Quote