Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Volkswagen Forums > VW Performance Models > GTI & GLI

Unread 03-30-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
Normy
User

Normy is on a distinguished road
Default '97 GLX Heater core

I doubt that this forum is going anywhere anytime soon...but I just wanted to post about my experience with the 1997 VW Jetta GLX heater core.

I was driving in traffic in Memphis one day in December 2006 and while stuck in traffic...

"fffwwwhhEEEEE!" I heard, and the cockpit of the car filled with STEAM~

My heater core had decided to explode right then. This was en-route to work during my second week on the job at my new company, Fedex.

I drove the stricken Jetta off the higway and into a residential neighborhood; fortunately for me, I happened to be in one of the only good areas of Memphis, a city with a RIDICULOUS crime problem. You need a carry permit to live safely in this town other than this neighborhood.

Well, I stood in front of a house for an hour, cellphone in hand. Finally the tow-truck arrived, and I had the car towed to the VW dealer.

$200 later I had the heater core bypassed, and NO Heat. I froze my ASS off that winter in that car! I had to drive it dozens of times that spring that way, and finally got pissed and had it fixed last year. $600 to do that job? Not a bad deal! Memphis is friggin cold!

N!
Normy is offline   Reply With Quote