Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 928 Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 02-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
928gene928
User

928gene928 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil leak Trace

Have had an oil drip for awhile that I have not been able to locate. When I did the GM alternator conversion, and had the belly pans off, I left them off. With the pans off, it should be easier time wise to see where the drip is coming from. I thought at first that it was coming from the oil filter/oil sending unit area. But after a good cleaning with engine spray, it didn't look like that was where the drip was located.
The hard part for me, is not having a good space under the car to look around, I use a "Quick Lift" type unit that raises the car about 18". The drip itself is usually about a couple of table spoons or more, and that amount is only after the car has been run for quit awhile, and parked. Sometimes there is none at all. Have not noticed any big change in the oil level. So far it suspect the drivers side, middle area of the engine.
I decided to purchase a UV leak trace kit, to make the job easier.

[EMAIL="https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-648416-Vehicle-Leak-Detection/dp/B0028QGU8K"] Was about $20 on Amazon.

Also picked up some dye at the same time.
I put the tracer in the engine, and then the local weather went to hell. Been too busy with the snow to get back to the car.

Last edited by 928gene928; 02-16-2018 at 07:57 AM.
928gene928 is offline   Reply With Quote