Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 996 Forum

Unread 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #16
Shark Attack
Great, great, Have your people call my people

Shark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

IM with you on the yello... If you are going to get a car that screams look at me..... You might as well get a color when screams look at me! LOL... If i had a chance at a yellow car when I bought mine.. I would have teh speed yellow

Disclaimer:
All posts are meant with the utmost respect.
Most posts by user “Shark Attack” are
meant to spark a giggle. You feel you may have been
offended. Please return the offending post and
re-read the post slowly with a light heart. If you
still fail to see the humor…
Well you are SOL

many crashes are caused by simply running into the ground,-Docmirror

99/996/911 Aero.

I also have a very strong respect for the 928.
Shark Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #17
Dennis C
7,192' above sea level

Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold

I like 911s in slightly less common colors. I've always been a fan of Midnight Blue (obviously...I bought one), but I also really like the Speed Yellow cars. White looks really nice on a 996, especially a C4S. Zenith Blue is also excellent, but pretty hard to find.

FWIW, I think the MK I aero is one of the best looking 996 variants.

2014 911 Turbo S Cabriolet

Previous Porsches:
2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet
2004 Cayenne S
2002 911 Carrera 4S

Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

hmmmm decissions decissions..

Fergus, I am picking the book up from the post office after work..

My N/A has its own threads going in the 944 forums... head is off and being rebuilt, all new engine seals, rebuilt PS lines, rack and pump.. trans seals, new rear wheel bearings... I am in this car for almost $8K... but have had 45K worth of great driving....

if all works well it will be ready for another 100K.. or sale...

And yes, I would still like the Yellow in 5 years... I'm funky like that!

Like Kyle said, if I am going to get a car that screams look at me... I'm gonna get one that screams it loud and proud!

FWIW, had an oportunity to drive a 996 on steroids at the shop I dropped my head off too... I declined... driving another mans pride and joy is like riding another mans wife... just not cool according to man law...

OR

Ask me about my other stuffs!
John Koa Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Just looked at a left comments on both the red/black and tripple black 996s over there..

Both 6 speeds with factory aero kits...

Like the twist wheels more than the BBSs though.. but red? I already have a red over black...

OR

Unread 01-25-2011, 04:13 PM   #20
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

I hate getting sidelined... My N/A is just begging me to send it on to a new home...

Head gasket..
Head has been in the shop for 2 weeks for rebuild.. I need to call them, but am affraid to hear what they say..
I am working to seal EVERY fluid on this car...

then decide if it is worth selling, or keeping...

OR

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:49 PM   #21
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Well ladies and germs... NA finally returned to the road... then blew the alternator... fixed that yesterday..

Not sure I could get out of this car for anywhere near what I have put in.. but that is half the fun isn't it???

Still dreaming of a 996, and I do peruse the sales adds... just biding my time till teh right one comes available at the right time... or the 944 pisses me off again and I sell it!

more than 3K into the NA over the last month... I am sure I can find much more productive uses for my money then pouring into a car that will never return the favor... like pouring it into a 996

wrecking my Audi last week didnt help any...

OR

Unread 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM   #22
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

PNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Did you see this one...here? I wasn't looking and was still tempted to go make an offer. Not a garage queen but looks to be a great driver.

1993 964 Oak Green Metallic C2 Targa
Daily Drivers: 2005 Civic EX; 2008 Pilot VP
The Ultimate 964 Targa Thread
PNine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:42 PM   #23
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNine64 View Post
Did you see this one...here? I wasn't looking and was still tempted to go make an offer. Not a garage queen but looks to be a great driver.
I did, only problem is the same problem someone already pointed out in that thread... I am looking for a C4..

Now how about this... more than I really want to spend... but that is a lot of car for the money! Factory sunroof delete, 24K on the clock for $50K

Hell, but then so is Winslows CL600, and I am sure it is immaculate, and quite a steal at $21K...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-...item3a633e6ee3

Click the image to open in full size.

OR

Unread 02-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #24
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

thats a beauty john you going to try to bid on it?

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #25
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

PNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

I didn't catch that you were looking for the C4. The Turbo is nice...and I don't think there is the IMS issue to worry about either (correct me if I'm wrong). I can't believe that MB is still for sale. I asked my wife the other night if she wanted it but she didn't seem very excited. Then again, I could get it and sleep there. I imagine it would be pretty comfortable to live in.

Unread 02-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #26
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
I didn't catch that you were looking for the C4. The Turbo is nice...and I don't think there is the IMS issue to worry about either (correct me if I'm wrong). I can't believe that MB is still for sale. I asked my wife the other night if she wanted it but she didn't seem very excited. Then again, I could get it and sleep there. I imagine it would be pretty comfortable to live in.
+1

Not bidding on the turbo, but trying to gain perspective... that is one hell of a lot of car for $45K... only 25K miles...

I already have one forced induction car, and plan to sell off my DD NA car and replace it with another NA car, but my days of navigating in weather in a RWD sprt car are coming to an end... the one thing I liked about the Audi was it's AWD system, very solid in all weather types!

I would much prefer a C4, but right now am having difficulty finding one that looks right to me.. the turbo I posted is interesting as it is a sunroof delete car, the color I am interested in, and pretty much all the options on my short list!

Not to mention, I would prefer a car with warts, as I intend to use it for DD duty (if the silver one on RL was a C4 I would be all over it like JLo on slim fast!), and my DD cars live outside, and get used year round regardless of weather... both 944s have seen snow, rain, sleet, and their fair share of sunny day cruises... almost 60K miles on the 2 in 3 years... that lots of fun miles had... It would be a crime for me to pick up a 25K mile car and rack up the miles on her...

The other hesitation I have with regards to a 996 is being eaten alive by the maintenance... I change oil MONTHLY... sometimes more often.. I have racked up as much as 7K miles in one month (trips to Michigan and SC)... I put the rebuilt head on my 944 NA last weekend, and have already put 700 miles on her since! retensioning timing and balance shaft belts this weekend...

OR

Unread 02-18-2011, 05:01 PM   #27
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koa Wood View Post
The other hesitation I have with regards to a 996 is being eaten alive by the maintenance... I change oil MONTHLY... sometimes more often.. I have racked up as much as 7K miles in one month (trips to Michigan and SC)... I put the rebuilt head on my 944 NA last weekend, and have already put 700 miles on her since! retensioning timing and balance shaft belts this weekend...
Honestly, I'm no mechanic but don't know why you would change the oil on a 996 on a monthly basis. I only do it once a year but mine only gets driven 5k miles a year. I'd say that every 10k miles is more than enough on a 996.

As for the rest of the maintenance, I find it to not be nearly as bad as others have made it out to be, especially when you're willing to do it yourself.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT

Last edited by Jake; 02-18-2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: fixed error
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2011, 08:48 PM   #28
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koa Wood View Post
I change oil MONTHLY... sometimes more often.. I have racked up as much as 7K miles in one month (trips to Michigan and SC).
I've read that oil starts working better after a couple of thousand miles. If you are putting 7K a month on the car then monthly is probably ok. Less than that mileage wise and I'd stretch it out. But that's just me. Very true about the warts. I wouldn't mind driving that silver 996 anytime...anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I only do it once a year but mine only gets driven 5k miles a month.
I probably wouldn't go 60K miles between oil changes.

Unread 02-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #29
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Quote:
I probably wouldn't go 60K miles between oil changes.
Wait, that's 5k miles a YEAR on the 996. I do put 5k miles a month on my daily driver and get the oil changed every few months when the little light tells me to.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #30
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

I am looking for a 996 to replace my DD 944.. and yes, I do drive plenty of miles...

I reassembled the engine in my 944 9 days ago, and have already logged 1200 miles on her since! with another 150 - 200 to come today. I am also searching for a house near my kids, which once found will have me logging over 1000 miles a week just geetting to and from the office, never mind the additional trips I take!

It isn't uncommon for me to see north of 5K miles in a month, spread over 3 cars in 09 and 10 I saw over 60K.. but am now down to one car, as my 951 is in pieces and on hold, and I tottaled my Audi 2 weeks ago.

The 944 will continue to pull DD duty, until she is replaced, or dies, unless by some miricle the 951 comes back together and is reasonable to use on a semi daily basis (not likely)!

The yellow 996s are growing on me, as is white strangely enough! The blue is pretty, black is just sooooo... nice... The Yellow turbo I linked to is intriguing to me as it is super low miles, sunroof delete, and each other option I am looking for... but it is turbo, and about double what I am looking to pay! but then it is turbo!

OR