Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > Panamera

Unread 10-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #1
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

LikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to LikeMyStoppie?
Thumbs up A Day with the Panamera

I just got back from training and driving the all new, Porsche Panamera.

I'm going to repeat myself a lot, so bare with me. But the car is, in my opinion, a 99 out of 100.

Tuesday, I flew in late, so I was late arriving to the registration process and dinner. So I made no haist and went directly to the nearest Panamera I could. On the pod stood 2 Panamera's in Carbon Grey. A Panamera 4S and Turbo.

As soon as I walked up to the cars I started smiling. What a RELIEF!! Just like many of you; I was worried she was going to be a tosser! Tosser she is not. She gorgeous. Sexy. Exotic. Curvy! And .............practicle?! We'll see.

Sitting in the car you immediately get two feelings: Feels like home (comfortable) and Whoa! The gagues are amazing. Very Porsche, lot's of gauges and buttons. I'm not a pilot, but I get the real sense I'm in a cockpit of something special. At first glance down towards your right arm you could get a little overwhelmed with ALL the buttons, But after spending a few hours in the car the next day, you realize it's not that bad.

The wood, leather and materials are not cheap at all. Of course, most of the cars had a full leather treatment, I did sit in a car with the standard leather. It's on par with the standard leather of an S550. The wood is highly polished, and used abundantly. The types of wood were impressive too. As were the polished metal peices. I mean this in all due respect; but they were very MB like on their treatment. But the car felt very 'Bentley' to me.

Going arond the car, you start seeing that this car is VERY Porsche. Unmistakeable Porsche. The side profile is a little daunting..but the 1/4 shots as well as head on and rear shots are amazing. The REAR is gorgeous, and EXOTIC. This car does NOT take photo's well. - At all. The LED's and front Bixenons are very well thought out. Opening and closing the doors gives you the sense that Porsche has worked very hard on this car and they've used a LOT of Aluminum to keep weight down.

Curb Weights are : 3968lbs for the S, 4101 for 4S and 4343 for the Turbo. Which after driving the car and going through the technical breifing, you realize she could have been a LOT heavier. - Thank God she's not.

Enough about this; I just want to drive it. And that would have to wait, until the next day. For now, its off to bed and get a full nights rest.

The next morning I had to register, fill out the required paperwork and show my license.

Coffee was my breakfast as I was too excited to eat. We were broken up into 2 main groups, one was technical breifing and class room, the other was Road Course and a 2 hour drive.

- I got the better deal; Driving first!

We all had Panamera S's to drive. Platinum Silver on Black. 2 Chase cars by instructors.

There were teams of 3, I was with a sales guy and service advisor from a dealer in CA. Not sure which one,but both seemed like cool guys. I sat in the back for the 1st 1/3 of our drive.

We were all warned that AZ Highway Patrol was aware of us and will be patroling the sky. And to obey all speed limits.

-I think they stuck to that rule for about 2 minutes before heading into speeds that were, sort of silly. Not to mention the FLEET of Panamera with our headlights blazing.........no, that wont attract attention! LOL

Shocking was my initial impression. Shocking as to how much ROOM I have in the back. I'm 5'11 and there was at least 5" above my head. Getting in the car was uneventful. Meaning you don't have to contort yourself to get in the car. Once in, you feel as part of the car itself. The seats are fantastic. Very good support - none of that sliding around feeling you'd get with a typical sedan in the rear. We drove off and the driver immediately laughs and says "Woooooww".....- That opinion was shared 2 more times, as we swapped drivers.

The car conveys complete inspiration and confidence. Feels VERY safe from the rear seat. Visablity is great, even with the 1st driver being a very stalky guy. Under hard acceleration the car isn't all over the place nor are you tossed about. And even better: She can be quiet when you want her to be quiet, and loud when you want LOUD.

Now me. Again the drivers seat is very very comfortable. It's note worthy that if you're a bigger frame, you SHOULD get the full power seats with adjustable air cushions. I could see that for someone over 225, or with back issues, for long drives, you'll need the ability to adjust the cushioning. From my where I was sitting, that was one of the few observations that could be an issue. Not every S Class owner will feel 'great' in this car. But then, this car wasn't made for everyone.

Acceleration was immediate and power came on VERY smooth and strong. The PDK feels better at home in this car then the 997. Each car comes standard with PASM, and Adaptive Air suspension is optional. As is PDCC. The car we drove on the highway was NOT equipped with Sport Chrono. More on that later...

Wow. Just..........wow is what I felt the entire time I was driving. Whether in Auto mode or Manual mode the PDK failed to dissappoint. The controls are on the steering wheel (think multi function wheel) are very easy to use. The amount of information that's at your finger tips is STUPID. I've never seen so much crap available to you. Want stock quotes (the stocks YOU want?) No problem. Want a 3 day forecast when you're flying into San Fran? No problem. You want to hear how the Sox are doing? You've got 3 live feeds to choose from.

Not to mention the 3D navigation makes you feel like you're commanding the Space Ship Enterprise. Holy. Moly. Menu after menu is at your finger tips. Mobile office in an exotic four door? Check check.

And it drives EVERY bit as a Porsche CAR should. After 80 miles or so on the car, I really couldn't get enough. I wanted to just get in one, and drive home. Forget the plane ticket. Toss my bag in the back (electronic truck standard) and away I go. It's note worthy that watching this car from behind and the front - it IS unmistakeable for another car. It doesn't look like anything else out there. And it's gorgeous. Exhaust tips, wheels, curves.

Mmmmm.

I'll report on the track part and comparo against Mercedes, BMW, Maserati, and Audi in the next bit. Stay tuned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucydides View Post
Pick up an 8ball. This is for science man.
LikeMyStoppie? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LikeMyStoppie? For Your Post:
alex (10-09-2009), Jay Wellwood (10-25-2009), Robby in WA (10-09-2009), SeanR (10-09-2009)
Unread 10-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
Robby in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Robby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud of
Garage

Great write up Chris.

I got pretty much the same report from my colleagues who got back Wednesday night.

One thing that was different is they said the visibility from the back seats wasn't great and that it was easy to get motion sickness back there.

I posted this quote from a colleauge on RL and on your FB.

"I think it's going to take away 911 sales, it's that good."
Unread 10-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #3
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

LikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of light

Rob I will say this: Driver ability is EVERYthing. I had two guys that did a great job and were class acts behind the wheel. Thus no dizzy head or desire to punch them. LOL

Then on the 'course' which I'll write up as soon as I have a moment I had this IDIOT who says he does PCNA events and SCCA events- WORST DRIVER I've experienced in YEARS. This guy started giving me advice, when finally I shot back nicely- "I know my way around a track. I used to race motorcycles" He finally stopped pitching me his .02 cents worth.

He's the type of guy who seems like he's NEVER been in a performance car at all. Horrible throttle control, even worse braking. Lines? What fuggin line? He does his own line and got yelled at 2X. After 5 rounds of this idiot, I finally look over at his feet, and what is he doing?

DRIVING WITH TWO GAWD DAMNN FEET!! ONE ON THE BRAKE, THE OTHER THE GAS!!!! WTF?!!!! I told the instructors he's quite possibly one of the worst people I've had the displeasure of being 'co pilot' in a car with. So ya, driver makes up a huge amount of the experience in the back.
Quote:
Unread 10-09-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
Leon Speed
Shhhh, I'm analyzing

Leon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really nice
Garage

It is interesting that Porsche throw so much money at the introduction of new models. I had my *1989* 928S4 at the Porsche dealer 1 time and buy parts from them once in while, yet I keep receiving glossy expensive magazines and invitations for the introduction of new models like the Cayenne GTS and the Panamera. The magazines are very high quality and take a big part out of the marketing budget I assume. Even because we bought some Porsche drivers shoes at a Porsche shop one time we keep getting expensive magazines about new accessories. Porsche really execute their philosophy of todays youth - or in my case today's older model drivers - are tomorrow's new model drivers.

However I've never been to an introduction of a new model. SO I wonder, how are the sales tactics? Anybody calling you within a week after? Invitations to come to the dealership to talk about a new member to your fleet?
Unread 10-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Speed View Post
It is interesting that Porsche throw so much money at the introduction of new models. I had my *1989* 928S4 at the Porsche dealer 1 time and buy parts from them once in while, yet I keep receiving glossy expensive magazines and invitations for the introduction of new models like the Cayenne GTS and the Panamera. The magazines are very high quality and take a big part out of the marketing budget I assume. Even because we bought some Porsche drivers shoes at a Porsche shop one time we keep getting expensive magazines about new accessories. Porsche really execute their philosophy of todays youth - or in my case today's older model drivers - are tomorrow's new model drivers.

However I've never been to an introduction of a new model. SO I wonder, how are the sales tactics? Anybody calling you within a week after? Invitations to come to the dealership to talk about a new member to your fleet?
Sales tactics depend primarily on how the Sales Professional presents themselves; but in this scenario the clients will be (most likely) invited to either a party or viewing of the car when it arrives.

For example, we're having Live Music, Catered Food and Wine tasting. Thus far we've had 7 orders for Panamera's. I know for a fact once people starting driving the car more orders will follow.
Quote:
Unread 10-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #6
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Exclamation Part II- The Track

After a nice long 2 hour intro to the car we finally get to take them around the track.

The line-up consists of: Mercedes Benz S63, CLS550, BMW 750i, M5 (w/SMG), Audi A8 (not S8 as there is no 2010 S8) Maserati Quattroporte, then of course no less then two Panamera Turbo's-outfitted with PCCB's, Panamera S and two Panamera 4S (one with PSE).

I'll get this right out of the way. Do NOT- I repeat, do NOT waist your time on the Maserati. What a load of crap compared to all the others. Over Steer, Understeer, tons of body roll and crap brakes. The car DID however sound fantastic. The A8 held it's line the worst out the German line up, the S63 was by a long shot better then the 7 Series and surprisingly, the M5 was so so. The SMG is a personal fav of mine as I like it's quirkiness - a lot of the group had no idea 'how' to drive the SMG so it got bad marks -unfarily so.

The Panamera.

Welp, you guessed it. It handles like a PORSCHE should. The 4S with PSE was my personal fav as it was also equipped with optional Air Suspension. I felt more confident in that car then I did even with the Turbo. I could feel the cars extra weight- but boyyyyy move over it was fuggin fast. As you've either read by the others on RL (Howard, Brian and Alfie) a lot of us were all over the 997mkII C2S on the track; however that's a little unfair as the instructors were just taking us around the track at about 65-75% - Personally I think the instructors could have and would have shredded us on the track. Hey, they're instructors!

The Panamera did not dissappoint. Even with 400hp the S and 4S delivered on the track and the most astonishing aspect was the real lack of body roll. Sure it had some; but very very little. I never once felt I was driving a 4 door sedan. It held its line as well as I could hold the line I was supposed to, braked when I asked it to, and made wonderful Porsche V8 sounds when prodded. Very crisp, neutral and refined. Not numb or complacent.

The guy I was with was absolutely the WORST driver I've ever had the pain of dealing with and experience. I didn't believe, until that day- that two-foot drivers still exist. Apparently Darwin isn't finished with them.

W
O
R
S
T

EVARRRR!!

In summary, the Panamera, as I said above is a 99% out of 100. A 100% in my mind being a perfect car- and that's reserved for the 911. My all time favorite car.

Little annoying stuff: The Porsche 'entry and drive'; they insist on having that dumb 'fake key' instead of giving it a proper 'push start' on the left. Citing "heritage". I pointed to the car and said "That's got MORE then enough Heritage. Gimme a break!" I wish the car came standard with Power Telescoping Steering Wheel. And I wish the Panamera came Standard with PSE. - What? I can complain, can't I?

I honestly couldn't find that much, if much at all (worth complaining about) on the car.

What I'd like to see? A Carbon Grey Panamera 4S with 20" Spyder Wheels sitting in my driveway.

I *heart* the Panamera, and I think many of you will too!

Ps. Photos Suck of this car. It's too organic to take great photos. I think looks wise it's extremely sexy and very unique. Unlike anything else out there- and that's NICE!
Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LikeMyStoppie? For Your Post:
alex (10-13-2009), Jay Wellwood (10-25-2009), Robby in WA (10-10-2009), SeanR (10-25-2009)
Unread 10-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Robby in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Robby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud of
Garage

You didn't have an S6 to compare?

The report I heard was that was the best besides the Panamera and the 63.
Unread 10-10-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in WA View Post
You didn't have an S6 to compare?

The report I heard was that was the best besides the Panamera and the 63.
Nope. It was smoked before I could drive it and off to the Audi shop it went.
Quote:
Unread 10-25-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
Jay Wellwood
Still trying to figure it out.

Jay Wellwood has a spectacular aura aboutJay Wellwood has a spectacular aura about

That's too bad about the S6.

I picked up my set of winter wheels/tires yesterday at the dealership.

Had the chance to get up close & personal with a Panamera 4S.

Wow.

Trust me when I say it looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures.

Sitting in the back seat - I was very comfortable. As Chris mentioned, the cockpit makes you feel like you're in the Space Shuttle. Very well laid out controls and features IMO.

Right now though, with a sticker of $122K it's a little out of my price range.

That and my S6 is still putting grins on my face as big as the Cat that ate the Canary.
Jay Wellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wellwood View Post
That's too bad about the S6.

I picked up my set of winter wheels/tires yesterday at the dealership.

Had the chance to get up close & personal with a Panamera 4S.

Wow.

Trust me when I say it looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures.

Sitting in the back seat - I was very comfortable. As Chris mentioned, the cockpit makes you feel like you're in the Space Shuttle. Very well laid out controls and features IMO.

Right now though, with a sticker of $122K it's a little out of my price range.

That and my S6 is still putting grins on my face as big as the Cat that ate the Canary.
That's all that matters Jay! One day if you get bored the Panamera would fit in nicely with your desires!
Quote:
Unread 10-27-2009, 10:23 PM   #11
Ray S
Ironman
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Ray S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to behold
Default My test drive

I went to pick up my car the other day at the dealership. I had a friend take me over in his Audi S8 (yes, the one with the Lambo V10).

We decided to test drive the new Panamera S while we were there.

Holy Shit, this car is the real deal.

Three things really stood out for me;

First, the handling. It really does feel like a sports car. The S8 is no slouch to drive, but it feels like a heavy pig compared to the Panamera S. The Panamera is a total riot to drive, it even feels like it would be a blast to take to the track.

Second, the sound. Close your eyes and think ALMS GT2 Corvette and that's what it sounds like. A fantastic V8 roar with great volume (it's about as loud inside as my 996 with PSE).

Third, the interior. It's simply stunning. Pictures don't do it justice, I was very impressed. The center console that looks busy in pictures is actually fairly well laid out and easy to use.

The rest;

The looks. It looks much better in person than photo's and the car has a definate presence in when you are around it. It's not an absolute stunner, but it's not bad.

The power. No question it's fast. Probably not as fast in a straight line as my 996 C2 or the V10 S8 but it's not far off.

The room. 4 seats only. Plenty of room for tall peeps in back, but total space is way down from a Big Benz S Class or even the SWB Audi S8.

The trunk. Bigger than I expected, it has a lot of very useful space in back.

The tranny. The PDK is pretty amazing. It it by far the fastest shifting auto that I have ever driven, and the perfect rev matched downshifts are very cool. That being said I'd still prefer to row my of gears (too bad they are not bringing the manual to the US).

Bottom line. Do yourself a favor and go for a test drive before you pass final judgement on this car.

'00 986 (Sold)
'02 996 C2 (Sold)
'08 997 Turbo aka "Silver Bullet"
Ray S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray S For Your Post:
LikeMyStoppie? (10-28-2009)
Unread 10-28-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

She IS a stunner. I'll take a 4S with PSE anyday!
Quote:
Unread 08-16-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
Randy V
User

Randy V is on a distinguished road

Anything new to add?

Randy V.
San Diego, California
'94 928 GTS - Midnight Blue Metallic
Randy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #14
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,112 Posts
Dick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy V View Post
Anything new to add?
Katie bar the door. It lives. Look what just slithered in.
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

"AMERICA! Designed by geniuses, Run by idiots.."
Dick B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 04:55 PM   #15
Randy V
User

Randy V is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick B. View Post
Katie bar the door. It lives. Look what just slithered in.
I don't believe we've met?

Your comment seems to be less than cordial.

Randy V.
San Diego, California
'94 928 GTS - Midnight Blue Metallic
Randy V is offline   Reply With Quote