Yes, put me down for 1 or more sets 15 36.59%
Nope, too expensive/complicated for me to consider 10 24.39%
On the fence about it. 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-29-2009, 01:48 AM   #46
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Lizard will become famous soon enough

Just wanting to bring this upto the top.

We still have a great many numbers of sets availible.

If most if not all sets of cams are not spoken for by the time we get to casting point I will be unfortunatly requiring a deposit on the first half to get this off the ground.

Once we get to the casting stage the price for the remaining cams will be being raised!

So if you are in the fence, I would jump in now as these cams will only be becoming more valuable post purchase!

Colin
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #47
hans14914
User

hans14914 is on a distinguished road

Colin,

I am still interested, but cant commit until i see some numbers. Since I have a SC, its a tough call - spending $1500+ on cams versus $50 on a smaller pulley. I know its not a fair comparison, but I am sure there are other stragglers out there waiting for some graphs as well. Even something as simple as airflow graphs plotted against the stock and GT profiles would be helpful.

Thanks for putting this together, and I wish that I could have been one of the first people in, but with money the way it is these days, and this being a slippery slope product (while I am in there, how about new springs, and lightweight lifters, and mutli-angle valve grind..... and... and...) its tough to pull the trigger without a little more data.

This is hands down the best deal going for NA cars, and for those not planning on going with the supercharger. I cant believe you are able to offer cams for this price. Keep up the great work.

Thanks,
Hans
hans14914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #48
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Hello Hans,

I am working on trying to get them plotted in an engine analyzing software, but it is slow going.

As to the HP #s for a SC car. I would recommend looking at the boosted S4 VS GT cars. Consistantly the GTs put down much more power. Cams have a greater effect in a boosted car than they do NA.

And these cams will be even better than GT cams because the GT cams have a very restrictive exhaust setup which is going to be really increased over stock!

And I understand that the economy is partially hurting this. But it is also one of the only reasons that we can get this ball rolling. So it is a bit of a catch 22. If the economy was perfect the companies that make new billets would want a minimum order that is far far far bigger than the 50 sets we are going for.

And as to the price, most billet cam sets for twin cam engines where the cams are the same run around $1k. We have 4 unique cams!

Once I have some graphs done which I will focus more energy on soon I will post them up.

However those with engine software, if you could input stock GT #s they are
Intake .393" lift 211 @ .050"
exhaust .353 200 @ .050"

Then input a GT+ profile of .400" and 220 @ .050" for both intake and exhaust and see what type of number differences that there are.

BTW I know someone who is having S3 cams modded to work in S4 heads (started before I got this off the ground) and it will cost $3500 for the work per set with a MILD bit of grinding!

Unread 10-05-2009, 01:15 AM   #49
terry91GT
User

terry91GT is on a distinguished road

Colin , Its intresting to watch people dithering about ordering these cams . This is the first , and could be the LAST time that 928 owners , have an chance to get " NEW" cams . As only rewelds , with all their reliabilty issues , were all that was available . Going with the put your money where your mouth is theme , I have ordered two sets . Terry
terry91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #50
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Thanks Terry,

I know, it is funny that people are pondering on this as you are 100% correct on this. It is possible that this is the only run of new cams that will be made. And with regards to the welding. This is a horrible option for us and it is very very difficult to weld all the cams and not create warpage on the cam. Plus if you warp the gear which the chain rides on then the cams are basically scrap. And most shops dont even CHECK for that when they perform this. As well I find it funny that most of the welded and reground cams are still horribly restrictive on the exhaust side.

I am also afraid that I cannot get the grinds etc punched into a computer model and getting the data this week simply due to the fact that I am in england replacing a clutch for a fellow. Once I get back I will be focusing on getting that data for you all though.

Unread 10-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #51
namasgt
User

namasgt is on a distinguished road

if i order a set now do I have to put deposit ?
Im confused about this whole ordering deal.
namasgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 12:33 AM   #52
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by namasgt View Post
if i order a set now do I have to put deposit ?
Im confused about this whole ordering deal.
Yes there will be a deposit which will be required when placing an order now. This will be due when we go to the casting process. I would say this will be roughly a month.

If I am unable to fill the last half of the order then I may need to get a deposit from the first half of the guys too.

Let me know what other information that you need or what is unclear and I will clear it up.

Unread 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #53
hans14914
User

Colin,

I am one of those straglers, who really wants to buy in... but still having problems pulling the trigger, even though I know it a great deal. Can you summarize when the cut-off date is again, what are the terms of payment/delivery... etc, just to bring it back to the "top" again?

Also, have you had any progress with finding suitable complimentary valvetrain components? This is one of the other things holding me back, I know the factory springs and possibly lifters arent up the the challenge, and would rather know the costs ahead of time so I can see if I can really afford the upgrade.

Thanks
Hans
Unread 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #54
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Hello Hans,

The cut off date will be roughly 1 month. Give or take. Any sets left over will go up in price after this time to recoup my outlay.

The deposit will be $500 USD, preferably paid via cheque or MO. I will accept Paypal too, but it will cost more as I cannot afford to eat the 3% charge that they want to ding.

The lifters will not "need" to be replaced unless yours are damaged or not holding up. The lightweight VW lifters are a VERY wise idea though. I am still working on the valve spring componants. However Toumo has found and made a set of beehive springs (a little overkill) which will do the job nicely. For the set for 32V he said it will cost around $600 iirc. But I am trying to find another solution which isnt as much overkill that is slightly more economical.
Unread 10-07-2009, 05:29 PM   #55
hans14914
User

Thanks Collin,

I really do appreciate the effort you are putting into this project. Have you priced the VW lifters when purchased in quantity recently?

Thanks
Hans
Unread 10-07-2009, 06:16 PM   #56
hilton
User

hilton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans14914 View Post
Thanks Collin,

I really do appreciate the effort you are putting into this project. Have you priced the VW lifters when purchased in quantity recently?

Thanks
Hans
The VW lifters were available from Roger Tyson (928srus.com) for $15 each last I heard.

Very interested in spring options that people are aware of
Unread 10-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #57
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Hans,

The lifters are very very cheap as Hilton points out.

As I said I am still working on getting a workable range of springs for this though.
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #58
Leon Speed
Shhhh, I'm analyzing

Leon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really nice
Garage

Colin, last question.

In order to make an informed decision, if I plan to keep my engine NA, plan on adding MSDS headers, and maybe adding a super charger later (at this moment not likely however), what is the benefit of these cams vs buying (used) S3 cams?
Unread 10-10-2009, 11:17 AM   #59
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Speed View Post
Colin, last question.

In order to make an informed decision, if I plan to keep my engine NA, plan on adding MSDS headers, and maybe adding a super charger later (at this moment not likely however), what is the benefit of these cams vs buying (used) S3 cams?
Used S3 cams will leave you with GT cams basically, which the exhaust is still VERY restrictive.
Then you take in having to have someone modify them to move the thrust area on the one exhaust cam. This is something that not many people are willing to do. Or do correctly, and it requires some welding which then the cam has to be checked for straigtness etc.
Having the S3 cams modified to run in the S4 head will actually end up running you more that a set of these new cams. The reason is 1st you have to find a good used set (even harder in Holland ) then you have to have someone mod them. Last I heard only 1 fellow is and from what I understood the price was over $3k USD. :O Reason is that most of them need to have more grinding done as like the GT cams they have pitting and wear on the lobes decreasing effectiveness.

I think the rest is fairly explainitory.
Unread 10-10-2009, 07:48 PM   #60
jadz928
Resident Lurker

jadz928 is on a distinguished road
Garage

There was a short-run offer to modify S3 cams for $375, you supply the cores. Found cores for $400. So that's $775. One-off and like Colin said, no one else is doing it.
Also note, this the S3 stock cam profile. No regrind. Regrind and Colin's 3K figure is fair.

Colin,
Is the intake cam gear spec'd like the GT or S3? Can't remember the degree difference off the top of my head, but I believe the GT spec is more optimal (respect to valve closing?)

FWIW all, cam gear angle (index?) is the only diff between the S3 and GT intake cam (other than the S3 fit issue in later MYs)

PS. You can see I'm a little new at this...
84 EuroS2, 5sp, Anthracite Gray, "Chewy" (SOLD)
jadz928 is offline   Reply With Quote