Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Turbo Forums > 944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum

Unread 07-06-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
Cyberpunky
User

Cyberpunky is on a distinguished road
Default Any ideas with this problem ?

About 2 months ago I got a few things done to my car. I fitted a tial F38, lightened pulleys, CEP fuel rail, polished cam tower and manifold, and eboost controller. I got car back entered some settings that I thougt were pretty tame settings into eboost but car would over boost on WOT. I was seeing 18-20Ibs of boost. BTW I have a recently rebuilt K26/6.

I pulled settings down and down and down some more and it was still happening, even with settings all at 0 on eboost. I then bypassed eboost completely using WG in single port mode, and it still happened. I have a 10lb spring so was perplexed as too cause. I thought maybe the hoses to Tial were around wrong way. They weren't but a bit more research showed wastegate was on backwards.

It is now on correct way and setting out after refitting it, with uber conservative settings on eboost everything seemed ok. I was only using about 7-8 Lbs of boost but a cpl of WOT runs and it was fine.

Now what had been happening for past few weeks before I worked out problem was everytime, after I tried WOT(to see if lower settings helped), the car would start to hesitate and die then hiccup and buck a little and have to be nursed for a while. I could feel it happen through throttle.

Anyway now I turned up settings a little and if I go WOT I see about 8.5-10 lbs of boost but hesittation comes back and car runs like a pig straight after WOT run(1st and 2nd).

Car seems to run fine if I stay off boost ie I don't open her up with WOT. I am really pissed off about whole thing as it seems now only way I can use car is with way less boost than factory wastegate before I did all this work.

Only thing I can think of is maybe Barn door is sticking open(unlikely). Anyone got any ideas ?
TIA
peace
Cyberpunky
Cyberpunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 09:47 AM   #2
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

i dont see any change in tune or anything that would suggest the tune is different. so basically you are having trouble when you raise the boost or too low? What is your AFR at WOT?

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 11:04 PM   #3
Cyberpunky
User

yes when I run anything above 8lbs, straight after the run, the car hesitates and runs like a pig. Feels like a dead spot in throttle and if I try to push throttle through it car bucks and can backfire. I have just got a Zeitronix ZT2 but haven't got it installed yet so don't have AFR info. Tune hasn't changed.
Unread 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
ilikemy944
has been freed!

ilikemy944 is on a distinguished road

Are you running stock chips?
The car runs fine, you go WOT, after that car runs badly until when? Restart the car?
If so I'm betting you are actually still seeing more than 8lbs and hitting overboost...
Unread 07-08-2014, 04:24 AM   #5
Cyberpunky
User

The car is chipped and I run an eboost controller, so I have a very accurate boost gauge. It was over boosting when Tial was mounted backwards, as seeing 18-20lbs on WOT. I should be able to run 14-16lbs no probs but now anything over 8 makes her run bad(after WOT run). I havent tried switching her off when running badly, as it doesn't last long but it always happens after a WOT run
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:02 AM   #6
Cyberpunky
User

Update: I did a refurb on AFM and lubed the door and car ran great for a week but died completely on me on way to work. I had to get a flat bed home. I then pulled AFM again and sanded the heck out of it so barn door shouldn't stick now but car basically wasn't running at all. Would get her going but a minute or less from home car would just die, revs would drop to 0 and I could rev it up using the momentum and by reving it up, it would back fire and keep going(just).

Anyway today I replaced the speed and ref harness with the LR harness and car started right up(after getting plugs around right way) and ran fine, I am hoping that this is the end of it.
Unread 08-21-2014, 02:24 AM   #7
Cyberpunky
User

Well I decided to warm car up before risking the drive to work and after about a minute the car died. I have a new DME relay arriving any day so will fit that and see what happens
Unread 08-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

I wish I could help, but I'm at a loss. Do you know anyone that will let you borrow parts? If the DME relay doesn't fix it, I'd swap the DME.

If I remember right, I think you can disconnect the AFM and the car will run. I think that's what I had to do with mine to limp it home once.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #9
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

DME

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2014, 03:21 AM   #10
Cyberpunky
User

well replaced the DME relay and car wouldn't start. Put old one back in and she fired right up. It can't be DME as I swapped one I had rebuilt about 3 years ago with a new Rogue ECU and had same problem with both.

I have a week off in second week of september so I have ordered a new injector harness, new leads, new coil, new rotor and new Dist cap from LR.

The car has started and run when temp was higher(after work when temp was higher) but issue has been in morning on some very cold days. That suggests to me it has to be an electrical issue and why I figured I would attack a few areas. I have just replaced the speed and ref sensor harness but it had no effect on problem.

I would really like to remove AFM and go an M tune but Josh can't supply anything ATM so I can't do that. On my week off I will sand the AFM some more while I have car apart.
I also plan to fit my Laust Vacuum manifold while I'm in there
Unread 09-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
odb812
User

odb812 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to odb812

Watch out for the rotor. Last time I ordered one from LR it came in a knock-off Bosch box and the part was stamped "Made in Italy." It melted in just a few months.
Unread 09-03-2014, 02:04 AM   #12
Paulyy
Professional Hoon

Paulyy is on a distinguished road

Did you do the sensors? I keep forgetting if you did or didn't

I rebuild my injector harness. bought new plugs from up the road from where you live. $8 each.
moorabbin auto spares
But that isn't you issue. Because if they short out you engine will shut off.

86 952 Garrett GTX3076R, CEP head, CEP/JME cam, TiAL 38mm, M-Tune, FMIC, eBoost 2, KWv3

Build thread: Click here
Paulyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
Cyberpunky
User

The speed and ref sensors are not very old and I replaced the harness back to the DME with the LR harness. I am going to do rotor, disy cap, and coil tomorow and will replace the leads too, although I doubt the leads have anything to do with problem.

I will see if that effects anything. I will probably fit the new injector harness while I am wiring up my Zeitronix ZT2 as a while I'm in there.

I have the week off so have a bunch of things I want to get done like fit my Laust Vacuum manifold and redo all vacuum lines, fit some pedals I bought, fit rear latch seats I got 0nly944 but main priority is too get running right first
Unread 09-10-2014, 07:07 AM   #14
Cyberpunky
User

replaced dist rotor and fitted leads. I also got a new DME temp sensor and fitted that.
will fit coil tomorrow but no change so far. Thanks Pauly for the help with getting dist cap back on