Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 996 Forum

Unread 11-16-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Robby in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Robby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud of
Garage
Default Hardtop On

Feels like a new car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hardto2012.jpg (114.3 KB, 2 views)
Unread 11-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

My 996 is a coupe but I know exactly what you mean every season when I put the hardtop on my Miata. Feels like a different car.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
BeerBurner
Glorified Babysitter

Thanked 1,089 Times in 583 Posts
BeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
My 996 is a coupe but I know exactly what you mean every season when I put the hardtop on my Miata. Feels like a different car.
I know what you mean, too, except that my Miata has had it's hardtop on since 2007. I have already sold the soft top.

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
BeerBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Robby in WA
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Robby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud of
Garage

Wow there actually people on here?!?!!
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:40 PM   #5
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Some of us like to click "New posts" which shows every new post in every forum, while others just huddle in OT.

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Unread 11-16-2012, 10:44 PM   #6
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBurner View Post
I know what you mean, too, except that my Miata has had it's hardtop on since 2007. I have already sold the soft top.
I was always tempted to do that, too. I'm one of the people that honestly would have been just fine if the Miata was built and sold as a coupe. I didn't take the hardtop off all year this time around. Now that I think of it, I never have seen a picture of yours with the top off!

I suppose I'd really like the PRHT Miata, even though I know it's probably the least 'hardcore' Miata ever, but I think it would suit me well. I've thought about getting one but would be almost embarrassed at how few miles I could give it.

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Unread 11-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #7
BeerBurner
Glorified Babysitter

Thanked 1,089 Times in 583 Posts
BeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud of

Yup, another "new post" clicker here!

I'm in the same boat as you. Given how I use the Miata, I'd have preferred it to be a coupe, too. At this point, I'd still be ok with a soft top as a weekend car or something but for either a daily driver (retractable hardtop) or a track car (full coupe), I'd want some kind of solid roof.

Oh, and here's a soft top pic. Note that it is also very, very old.

Click the image to open in full size.

I feel like we're hijacking this thread away from 996s anyway!

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
BeerBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #8
murfysflaw
Super User

Thanked 1,064 Times in 750 Posts
murfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud of

That time of year for sure. I suspect the hardtop on my Jeep will stay firmly in place until March or so. Unless we have at least 4 or 5 days of warm, dry weather over the winter. I hate this time of year for that reason...

Gone, but not forgotten:
95 C4 Cab - Guards/Cashmere, M030/Bilstiens, HIDs, LPMM, MY02s
84 911 Targa - Black/Black
01 TJ - Anniversary Edition, 2" lift, 33" BFG ATKOs, Rhino-lined tub
murfysflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Robby in WA
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Jake, I'd be interested in a comparison between the Miata and 996.

I haven't had the hardtop on in a few years. I might leave it for a while this time. New girlfriend doesn't like to be seen in the P-car and I need to drive it more. Just hit the 40k mile mark. I wanted to do about 5k a year on it and am way behind schedule.

When I had Jeeps I built a pulley system in my garage to get the hardtop on and off. Now I have an EZ-Lift for the 996.

My youngest is about to get his license and would like to help him get a Jeep as a first car. When I was a young driver, after I crashed my MR2 for the second time, decided I needed to slow down and picked up a CJ7 (should have kept it, resale values now are insane). I figure it's a great first car, still cool, can get up to the mountains, but not fun to drive fast. Only downside is the mileage.
Unread 11-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
Jake, I'd be interested in a comparison between the Miata and 996.
Sure, I'll do my best. Obviously you know how the 996 drives so I'll concentrate more on the Miata:

I have an NA (first-gen) Miata, so it's among the lightest they made--almost 50% lighter than my 996. The weight difference makes it feel much more dainty/delicate than the 996, but in a good way. While road feel in the Miata is similar to the 996 in the amount of information that's transferred through the wheels, shifter, and pedals, it's also a lot louder and more 'in your face' because you're sitting a lot lower and more 'inside' the Miata than you do in the 996. If I go from the Miata directly to the 996, I feel like the Porsche is more like a Mercedes E-class-size vehicle, especially in the size of the greenhouse and how much more upright it is.

The 996 is obviously the more capable vehicle overall, but I sure feel like I can push the Miata harder. It's a very easy car to drive at 9/10ths, while the 996 makes me more nervous at that level--even though it's never let me down. If you overcook a move in a Miata, you can just back off slightly and it will correct itself, while the 996 sometimes makes me feel like I'm in over my head. This is probably due to the Miata's 50/50 balance versus the Porsche's heavy rear bias.

The other thing that comes to mind is the difference in the shifting. Compared to a Miata's shifter, the 996 feels like you've stepping into a pickup truck because of the length. You can shift the Mazda almost entirely with your wrist (like a video game) while the Porsche requires much more deliberate shifts.

Miatas are not for everyone, but if you ever get a chance to try one out, I can almost assure you that you won't regret it. I think more people would give it a chance if it could shake its 'secretary's car' image.

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
The Following User Says Thank You to Jake For Your Post:
Robby in WA (11-17-2012)
Unread 11-17-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
murfysflaw
Super User

Thanked 1,064 Times in 750 Posts
murfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby in WA View Post
When I had Jeeps I built a pulley system in my garage to get the hardtop on and off. Now I have an EZ-Lift for the 996.

My youngest is about to get his license and would like to help him get a Jeep as a first car. When I was a young driver, after I crashed my MR2 for the second time, decided I needed to slow down and picked up a CJ7 (should have kept it, resale values now are insane). I figure it's a great first car, still cool, can get up to the mountains, but not fun to drive fast. Only downside is the mileage.
I mounted an electric hoist in the attic above the garage. It's connected to a T-bar that attaches to the top w/ straps, and just push a button... up she goes. I'd hate to think about lifting a 4 door Wrangler hardtop off by hand.. not that it's heavy, just too bulky.

I agree... Jeeps are amazing vehicles. Sold my TJ to a friend for his son's first car... he is loving it.

Gone, but not forgotten:
95 C4 Cab - Guards/Cashmere, M030/Bilstiens, HIDs, LPMM, MY02s
84 911 Targa - Black/Black
01 TJ - Anniversary Edition, 2" lift, 33" BFG ATKOs, Rhino-lined tub
murfysflaw is offline   Reply With Quote