Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 993 Forum

Unread 07-31-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
helmet993
User

helmet993 is on a distinguished road
Default Driving your 993 to work? In-car camera?

Does anyone drive their 993 to work? I am contemplating it but don't really want the attention...or a door ding!

I work with a bunch of car nuts that would love to ogle it, but not sure I want to be labeled "Rich Porsha boy" by my co-workers.

Lastly, a long time ago I read about a guy who would leave a time lapse camera (picture every second or so) in his 993 when he parked it at work or in a public place. Anyone do this? I'd be interested in some kind of removable memory type video or time lapse still camera for that.

Driving to work and then covering with a car cover is probably bad for the finish I bet - even if it leaves the batcave perfectly clean...??
helmet993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:24 AM   #2
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

BSL is on a distinguished road

Drive mine most every day. Doesn't stand out too much among the 997's in the lot though, or the new A5 S-line.

1995 C2 Cab - lots of goodies from the previous owner

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
BeerBurner
Glorified Babysitter

Thanked 1,089 Times in 583 Posts
BeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud of

Personally, I think that adding a camera in the car (at least one that's visible) will increase the risk of problems due to people being more tempted to break in and steal it.

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
BeerBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #4
murfysflaw
Super User

Thanked 1,064 Times in 750 Posts
murfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud of

I drive mine to work quite a bit. I think the camera or the car cover both increase the chances of something happening... The camera makes it more tempting to break into if it's at all visible and the cover just makes it tempting to see what's under it.

I try to just park it, not make a big deal of it and so far, no problems at all. I have recieved a few comments from folks at work about it, but most are appreciative of the car and know me well enough to know I'm not a prick most of the time.

Gone, but not forgotten:
95 C4 Cab - Guards/Cashmere, M030/Bilstiens, HIDs, LPMM, MY02s
84 911 Targa - Black/Black
01 TJ - Anniversary Edition, 2" lift, 33" BFG ATKOs, Rhino-lined tub
murfysflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
BeerBurner
Glorified Babysitter

Thanked 1,089 Times in 583 Posts
BeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud ofBeerBurner has much to be proud of

For whatever it's worth (and as much as I love my cars) I have found that the most liberating way to enjoy them is to not stress over things like door dings. Yeah, I still go out of my way to park in "safe" spots and all, but I have found that no stressing over what may happen to them allows me to drive it at ease since I'm no longer worrying about every little thing that can happen to it.

Granted, my cars are cheaper than yours, but still.

BB.
"The first step towards gaining self confidence is not being afraid to suck."
BeerBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #6
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Don't overthink it...it's just a car that was meant to be enjoyed, not fretted over.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jake For Your Post:
SpeedBump (09-06-2009)
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #7
MarkD
Who me?

MarkD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Don't overthink it...it's just a car that was meant to be enjoyed, not fretted over.
JUST A CAR!?!?! Are you insane man?!
Part of me says "yup, just a car". The other parts says "I love this thing (and I know it's a thing) but if someone touches it I may have to hurt them"

To helmet's original question...
I don't get to drive one to my day job much (have a company car) but I take the opportunity whenever it makes sense. Not much of an issue with people and damage. I do park carefully though...

Now, my OTHER job... most days I drive a pcar just because
(other job = FD Motorsports)
07 '57 Speedster Replica but actually a '74 Beetle

http://www.fdmotorsports.net
MarkD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 06:05 PM   #8
helmet993
User

helmet993 is on a distinguished road

I am driving the car to work on Thursday...as an engineer I like to overthink things

was going to drive it today, but had the left side engine blower out to tighten the hose clamps up and found the spacer was 'missing', probably from the PPI, and luckily sitting just on top of the rubber shroud the plug wires snake through on the left.

So, Thursday - driving the wife to work and then driving myself to work
helmet993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
Canyon56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
+1

Same as life, imho.
Unread 08-11-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
95_993
User

95_993 is on a distinguished road

I drive mine to work whenever possible from April through Dec here in NE. Of course I avoid a few days here or there that I know I need to leave the car at the airpot or need to drive others, etc. But overall, I really enjoy the experience. I don't worry too much about the finish as I wash it regularly, use a cover from time to time, etc.....nothing a good detailer can't take care of if it ever gets to that point. After two years, it still hasn't gotten to that point. I must say, I'd much rather drive it than not. Cars age to some degree whether you drive them or not. I only end up putting about 7k per year using it on a regular basis.
95_993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
Thaddeus
Harmless crank

Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,980 Posts
Thaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond repute

I drive mine to work a few times a week. I get there earlier than most folks so I can almost always grab some rock-star parking where door dings are less likely. And I don't give a shit what people think about my car, if they have a problem it's their problem. I don't have to "own" anybody's problems but mine and frankly, I don't want mine anymore either.

2011 Subaru Legacy: 0-60: 8.6
2008 Toyota Sienna: 0-60: 7.1
2000 VW Beetle Diesel: 0-60: 6.9... really! (Bosio nozzles, tuned ECU!)
Thaddeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
993Maineiac
DIY Blood Donor
Rennwish & Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,245 Posts
993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to 993Maineiac Send a message via Yahoo to 993Maineiac

I occasionally will drive mine to work but use Defensive Parking when I do.
Longhorn Region PCA-Hook Um
993Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Mark in Baltimore
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Mark in Baltimore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBurner View Post
For whatever it's worth (and as much as I love my cars) I have found that the most liberating way to enjoy them is to not stress over things like door dings. Yeah, I still go out of my way to park in "safe" spots and all, but I have found that no stressing over what may happen to them allows me to drive it at ease since I'm no longer worrying about every little thing that can happen to it.

Granted, my cars are cheaper than yours, but still.

BB.
Sh*t, I hate door dings even on my Miata and Sequoia.
'96 993 coupe (polar silver)
'17 Macan GTS (agate gray)
'06 Acura TL 6MT (white)
Mark in Baltimore is offline   Reply With Quote