Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Racing, DE, Rally, ConCourse & AX > Performance Modifications Forum

Unread 11-21-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
mactavern
New User

mactavern is on a distinguished road
Default Increasing the life of a turbo...

I hope that this is in the right place, don't mean to annoy anyone if it isn't. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a coating for turbo bearings, to prevent oil from coking? My understanding was that the main reason turbos die is because oil cokes on the bearings. To get around this, I believe that modern turbos have a water circulation system, that runs after the car is shut off; please correct me if I'm wrong. Also, does anyone know how hot the inside of a turbo gets, and what the average life of a turbo is?
mactavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
DonS
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

DonS will become famous soon enough

Hi, mac.

Going to re-invent the spooler, huh? We're just a bunch of opinionated assholes around here, you're asking for facts? j/k!

Correcto mundo on the water cooling, but not all systems have post shut-off circulation. And IIRC the temps are somewhere around 500-700*C.

And please be patient with our 'opinions'; around here everyone knows that superchargers are better than turbochargers.
DonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:41 PM   #3
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,112 Posts
Dick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonS View Post
And please be patient with our 'opinions'; around here everyone knows that superchargers are better than turbochargers.
No, I thought they decreased hp. It must be true I read it right here on teh interwebz .... in Reuterverk.
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

"AMERICA! Designed by geniuses, Run by idiots.."
Dick B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:51 PM   #4
mactavern
New User

The other question, which is a little bit more pertinent to me, is whether or not there is another way to prevent oil from coking inside the turbo, other than the water system... I haven't been able to find anything online, so i figured that reutterwerk would be a good place to ask.
Unread 11-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,112 Posts
Dick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

If you're in any kind of hurry, I'd try Pelican.com or Rennlist.com. Both have been around much longer than this site and have fairly extensive tech forums. We're new.

Good luck.
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

"AMERICA! Designed by geniuses, Run by idiots.."
Dick B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #6
mactavern
New User

Excellent, thanks. Hopefully I'll be starting up a business here, pretty soon. Before I do it, though, I have to find a place to run some tests and see how well the product will really hold up, and how much it would extend the life. I'll probably end up pitching it to an aftermarket developer first, to get some data on the life of my product, then try and sell it directly to turbo manufacturers. Anyways. Thanks for the advice.
Unread 11-25-2008, 06:57 PM   #7
BillBetts
New User

BillBetts is on a distinguished road

The rule of thumb for 930s was to let the car idle for 5-10 minutes after hard running. This way oil keeps circulating and cools the turbo. Then no coke forms. Although I admit it was tough letting it sit there when the heat was pouring out of the engine compartment.

This from when I had a 1978 930 w/440hp (ex-ImagineAuto car) at the crank. Three laps at Buttonwillow in the summer would put the oil temps through the roof. Then sit idling for 5 minutes and go out and do it again.
BillBetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 12:18 AM   #8
ibkevin
User

ibkevin is on a distinguished road

The the waterside turbo pump cool-down timer on the 951 is Porsche's answer to coking...

Modern oils, thermal coatings, and well placed wraps go a long ways in preventing it.

Much has been written on the subject.
ibkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
HoBoJoe
User

HoBoJoe is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to HoBoJoe

What kind of car?

Turbo timer... lets the car idle after you get out..
HoBoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
RufTurbo
User

RufTurbo is on a distinguished road

Turbo timers do work well, have had them on previous turbos. Does not seem to be necessary on the 997 TTs I have owned. However, My 996-based RufRTurbo gets very hot after long days of high speed track use.
RufTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
PorscheDoc
Under Your Car

PorscheDoc is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RufTurbo View Post
Turbo timers do work well, have had them on previous turbos. Does not seem to be necessary on the 997 TTs I have owned. However, My 996-based RufRTurbo gets very hot after long days of high speed track use.
The big difference there is the 996TT turbos are oil cooled (i am assuming RUF kept that technology as well), and the 997TT turbos are watercooled.
DocWilenRacing
PorscheDoc is offline   Reply With Quote