Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 924/944/968 Forum

Unread 02-04-2011, 08:56 AM   #91
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramius665 View Post
Curt, are those the factory midrange speakers in the door? Both of mine are completely used up and I can't find anything modern that fits properly.
Yes, they're OE. All the speakers are still available new for the 10-speaker setup. I searched high and low for new, modern speakers only to find that all new speakers are pretty much crap. I couldn't find a single new speaker setup that wasn't made in China. If you want aftermarket speakers that fit, your best bet would probably be www.parts-express.com. Just look at your old speakers first because they all have different impedances unless you're not going to be using the factory cross-overs.

After a month of frustration, I opted to just buy new factory speakers. They're made by Nokia. Just be aware that they were made years ago and have been sitting on a shelf. And also keep in mind that it takes some time for the spiders and surrounds in these speakers to break in - they sound better over time.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #92
ramius665
Resident Jester

ramius665 is on a distinguished road

The mids that came with my M490 kit from ebay had completely disintegrated foam around the cones. After calling Crutchfield and determining that there is *no* manufacturer that produces those midrange speakers OR tweeters that will fit the factory location I've just decided to pick up some OEM ones when I get the chance. My car has A//D//S amps and crossovers circa 1987 and I need to tear them out and replace them with something modern. Surprisingly, the company that did the install ran completely new lines to/through the doors and rears, leaving the factory wiring in place but unused. I've got a spare non-airbag dash that will be getting recovered in leather at some point and I'll replace the audio equipment at the same time. And while I'm in there, I'll probably finally get around to wiring up the leads for euro fogs.

ramius665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #93
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Is there anything wrong with the ADS, other than being old? Everything I was finding was built in China and felt like pieces of flimsy junk. I am so frustrated with electronics these days. I'd probably be ok with some of the Chinese stuff if it seemed like it was built well.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #94
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Older a/d/s/ amp connectors are getting difficult to find, and I recall from back in the '90s that they had a fondness for conservative, low power designs. That wasn't a big problem in showy, full-trunk installations where there were a number of amps (and their components sure did look cool) but it meant that it was hard to build a powerful system without taking up a lot of space. They don't offer much control, either.

Obviously, this criticism is true of a lot of the old stuff, (except, notably, Soundstream's Little Wonder, originals of which people still clamber for on the used market).

A lot of the new Chinese stuff is, indeed, crap, and it's diluting formerly excellent brands.

Personally, I've had excellent luck in the last few years with Boston Acoustics amplifiers, though they've recently pulled back from printing 'Made in Italy' on their circuit boards. In any case, they still offer a good design.

Aaron, as Curt mentioned, you can probably find raw drivers to fit your doors on the Parts Express web site, but it will take some searching.
pontifex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:24 PM   #95
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Not sure she is the nicest, but at the pace I am going she is gonna be the newest...

OR

Ask me about my other stuffs!
John Koa Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #96
ramius665
Resident Jester

ramius665 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koa Wood View Post
Not sure she is the nicest, but at the pace I am going she is gonna be the newest...
At this point you should just get a body in white (944.500.901.02) and go from there.

ramius665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:00 PM   #97
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramius665 View Post
At this point you should just get a body in white (944.500.901.02) and go from there.
Would never give up the medium slate for white... I had a white car.. hated that color!

And HA, I washed her... new carpet set is inbound! Now to find out about those seats... hmmmm.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20110216_193843.jpg (64.4 KB, 72 views)

OR

Ask me about my other stuffs!
John Koa Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2011, 01:02 AM   #98
Cyberpunky
User

Cyberpunky is on a distinguished road

My 952.
Click the image to open in full size.