Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 924/944/968 Forum

Unread 10-21-2014, 06:02 PM   #1
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

Thanked 1,661 Times in 857 Posts
SD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant future
Default FS: 968 Cab $13.5k OBO

This car belongs to SH944 on RL and KCWS forums. It's in very good condition and has been very well maintained.

http://www.kcws.org/forum/showthread...7412#post57412
Quote:
Year: 1992
Make: Porsche
Model: 968
Porsche Model: 968
Mileage (numbers only please): 63000
Options (Please check ALL which apply): Airbags, Air Conditioning, Alarm System, Antilock Brakes, Cruise Control, Foglamps, Intermittent Wipers, Leather Seats, Power Door Locks, Power Steering, Power Windows
Color: Horizon Blue
VIN: WP0CA2962NS840404
Price (no $ sign please): $13500
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern
Body Style: Cabriolet
Transmission Type: Tiptronic
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM CD

I can't believe I am actually doing this, but its finally time to let this one go to someone new who will cherish it the same way I have done for the almost 15 years I have owned this car.

Up for sale is my '92 968 cab in Horizon Blue with dark blue top. Its in what I would call *very* good condition, with all maintenance up to date. The front belts and the timing chain and pads have been serviced and this car needs nothing to be driven anywhere in the US. It is completely stock and everything works as it should.

Lets address the elephant in the room first. Yes, it has a tiptronic transmission, which is a deal breaker for a lot of folks. Its not one for me and I think its the perfect trannny for the car in a lot of ways. The car still has plenty of sporting characteristics configured this way and you can manually shift if you feel so inclined when engaging in sprited driving situations, but its perfect for cruising on the highway, or in traffic, and its a huge plus if you get caught in stop and go driving. Its most at home if you want to drop the top and go on a nice cruise with your SO. The 968 cab was never intended to be a race car, and rowing through the gears in this car seems (at least to me) completely out of character with what Dr. Porsche designed it for. A lot of the detractors of "tiptronic transmission" have never actually driven a car equipped with one; try it, you might actually like it!

Exterior: The car has had paint repair work done to it due to two different parking lot incidents, but has never been wrecked. It shows *very well* upclose or at a distance, this car is a real looker. It has a couple of minor rock chips in the front, a cracked fog lamp (again, from a rock and I have a new replacement one that goes with the car if I don't get it installed before the car sells) and the paint on the wheels could be refreshed (due to paint fade, not curb rash) and the top is original and the rear window shows age but thats all the flaws you will find.

Interior: Its the classic two tone grey and is in good condition. No cracks on the dash, no tears in the seats and no major stains or discoloration in the carpet. The upper trim pieces have sun fade and could use a professional redye if you are fussy, but its pretty much been like that the entire time I have owned the car and its never been so detracting to the interior that I felt the need to do anything about it. The only non factory orginal piece in the interior is the Porsche CDR-220 that replaced the original am/fm/cassette player that died a few years ago.

Mechanically: This car is very solid. As mentioned before, the front belts have been serviced and should be good to go for the next 45k miles or so, the timing chain and pads are fresh and should be good for the next 80k miles or so. I have made every effort to keep the car completely stock and on the factory recommended maintenance schedule, and aside from Koni's in the rear and 968 M030 caster mounts that replaced the work originals, its has only used factory or oem replacement parts when being serviced. It even still has a lot of the original kosmoline spray on the underside of the car that the factory shot the undercarriage with prior to shipping it overseas. I have an intermittent power steering fluid leak from the reservoir hose (and I have the hose as well as a tranny filter kit, both will included with the car if I don't get them replaced before the car sells.

This car is one of 34 sent to the US in Horizon Blue, and its not likely that you will encounter another on the road. I had to look for a while before I found this car as I wanted this specific color combination, and have absolutely loved owning it. Truthfully, I am on the fence about selling it but the car that is replacing it will also be a limited edition convertible and it would be redundant to own both and I do not have unlimited space.

While I don't expect any of the regular production cars in the 924/944/951/968 model line to start appreciating any time soon, my 968 is one of the few that I think will hold its own in the market, due to its looks and condition.

'92 968 Cab - Horizon Blue
SD Porsche Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #2
Chris_924s
Think technology. Thank Technology.

Chris_924s has a spectacular aura aboutChris_924s has a spectacular aura aboutChris_924s has a spectacular aura about

Steve, I wish I was in the position to jump on this.
Unread 04-08-2015, 04:37 PM   #3
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

SD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_924s View Post
Steve, I wish I was in the position to jump on this.
You're too late. I already did!

Unread 04-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Ha, I was just shaking my head as if to say "You're getting rid of it already?!?"

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

I haven't had much of a chance to drive it. We brought it home in February and it seems like I've been out of town for work during all the nice days.

I purchased this car over the Boxster because I really think the IMS bearing issue will plague all M96/M97 engined Porsches at some point. The 968 is really pretty bulletproof and I knew exactly what I was getting since Scott had owned it for 15 years.

I'll probably look to upgrade again in a couple of years.

Unread 04-09-2015, 06:32 PM   #6
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Porsche Fan View Post
I haven't had much of a chance to drive it. We brought it home in February and it seems like I've been out of town for work during all the nice days.
That's my problem, too. Life can be a catch-22; work hard enough to acquire a few nice things and it can become impossible to enjoy them.

Quote:
I purchased this car over the Boxster because I really think the IMS bearing issue will plague all M96/M97 engined Porsches at some point. The 968 is really pretty bulletproof and I knew exactly what I was getting since Scott had owned it for 15 years.
I wouldn't doubt you there. The real problem is that are any number of things that can take out these engines--RMS, IMS, intermix, etc. My 996 3.4 motor was taken out by the intermix issue, which seems to be the least common of the three issues but is no less frustrating when you're looking at a $12k bill to replace it.

The only reason I'm still comfortable owning one is that I'm 'assured' that my factory replacement engine will not suffer the same fate. I've got about 25k miles on the new motor now and have had zero issues, but to be fair, the original motor made it to 40k miles.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2015, 03:41 PM   #7
Chris_924s

Chris_924s has a spectacular aura aboutChris_924s has a spectacular aura aboutChris_924s has a spectacular aura about

The IMS scared me out of many a Boxster.
Oh well, off to Hershey!
Unread 04-13-2015, 06:15 PM   #8
Chris_924s

Dude, that's Scott's old ride! I know it well beautiful car.
Unread 04-14-2015, 12:21 PM   #9
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_924s View Post
Dude, that's Scott's old ride! I know it well beautiful car.
Drove it with the top down yesterday! Can't wait for summer!