Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 924/944/968 Forum

Unread 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Cyberpunky
User

Cyberpunky is on a distinguished road
Default Bearing bracket(928 537 417/8 02) broken

What Porsche call a bearing bracket, that prevents the door opening too far, cracked on my car a few days ago, and today broke completely.
I can no doubt source one from local parts dismantler but am worried it may have a similar fate due to fatigue and age. Am I better off going OEM or will part be same age and not much stronger ?
any info is much appreciated

peace
Cyberpunky
Cyberpunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

What part actually broke? I've seen the door fail at the mounting points and the only real fix for that is to replace the door. I hope that's not the case. If it's just the stop that failed, I'd replace it, the bracket on the body side, the gasket on the underside and all the bolts with new OE. Most people would probably only replace the part that actually failed though.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Cyberpunky
User

It was the bracket part mounted to the door jam/frame, between the 2 hinges.
Unread 06-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #4
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

New OEM units have been on my cars for almost 5 years with no issues..

All the old ones were broken!

They aren't particularly expensive to replace.. and options are kind of limited!

OR

Ask me about my other stuffs!
John Koa Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Koa Wood For Your Post:
Cyberpunky (06-20-2011)
Unread 06-20-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
Cyberpunky
User

cheers John and Curt. will ring local porsche dealer and order one. I doubt they have one in stock. I may have to get a used one till OEM arrives, as I dont want to damage the door in mean time.
Unread 06-21-2011, 04:29 AM   #6
Cyberpunky
User

I got an OEM unit today, and went to fit it, but it appears the kick panel trim needs to come off and I didn't have enough time to do that, so it will have to wait till next RDO which is sunday
Unread 06-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpunky View Post
I got an OEM unit today, and went to fit it, but it appears the kick panel trim needs to come off and I didn't have enough time to do that, so it will have to wait till next RDO which is sunday
The door panel comes off, and the new part fixes to the inside of the door with 2 screws IIRC.. should only take a few minutes, unless you have the 10 speaker option, then it takes forever!

IIRC the regular door panels are 10 or 12 screws, and then just lift off..

Good Luck!

OR

Unread 06-21-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Am I confused? The door check on the door side removes from the outside. I don't think you have to remove the door card at all.

But this sounds like the body side bracket. There should be two XZN bolts that hold the bracket to the door jamb, and a Allen head pin that holds the door check to the bracket. You don't need to remove the kick panel trim to replace the bracket - there's weld nuts on the back side of the sheet metal. Just remove the pin, then unbolt the old one. Did you get a new gasket for it?
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Am I confused? The door check on the door side removes from the outside. I don't think you have to remove the door card at all.

But this sounds like the body side bracket. There should be two XZN bolts that hold the bracket to the door jamb, and a Allen head pin that holds the door check to the bracket. You don't need to remove the kick panel trim to replace the bracket - there's weld nuts on the back side of the sheet metal. Just remove the pin, then unbolt the old one. Did you get a new gasket for it?
Here is a picture, granted it is on a 964, but the setup on our cars is the same, the body of the door check is inside the door... and the bolts hold the door check to the door body.. by screwing through the door into the body of the door check.

I can verify by taking pictures of my car if you prefer, but trust me, I have replaced them on both my cars.. you MIGHT be able to get away with only removing the speaker from the door, but then should have the vapor barier to deal with...

Click the image to open in full size.

OR

Unread 06-21-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Door Check: (inside door, prone to failure)

Door check bracket on car body: (accessable from outside, has gasket, have yet to see one fail)

OR

Unread 06-21-2011, 01:37 PM   #11
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

928 537 417/8 02 appears to be the braket, secures with 2 screws, 5 minutes to change, but you should install a new gasket with it if the replacement one didnt come with one!

Just now looked up the part number, sorry for my confusion...

CP, can you post a pic of the broken one.. I havent seen one break before (it is a cast piece, and it is usually the plastic bits of the door check that fail first..)

OR

Unread 06-23-2011, 01:32 AM   #12
Cyberpunky
User

It's the door check bracket on the body side. The reason I think I need to take kick panel trim off was the one bolt I got loose seemed to just spin and not be coming out, so maybe the weld nut has broken loose. I tried again and it isn't coming out. I got other bolt to move slightly but it is now basically stripped I thought this would be a five minute job too

Unread 06-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #13
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberpunky View Post
It's the door check bracket on the body side. The reason I think I need to take kick panel trim off was the one bolt I got loose seemed to just spin and not be coming out, so maybe the weld nut has broken loose. I tried again and it isn't coming out. I got other bolt to move slightly but it is now basically stripped I thought this would be a five minute job too

Well sir, at least you showed me something I havent seen on one of these cars before!

Good luck, may the force be with you, and remember to breathe...

OR

Unread 06-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #14
Cyberpunky
User

I really wish I wasn't the first with this problem
Spoke to my neighour today and he is confident about getting stripped bolt out, so I am hoping getting into back where the captive nut has come loose, isn't too much of a pain.
I have the new bracket and the new bolts are at the dealer, but new gasket is coming from Germany