Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 993 Forum

Unread 05-15-2010, 06:39 PM   #1
Blupurr
Super User

Blupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the rough
Default Broken Alt belt questions

Well, I finally get to do my first DIY, I suppose. Depends on how difficult the job is. Anyway, driving home from the store today, I heard a clatter in my engine bay, and the ABS and the battery light both came on. What I discovered was that the alt belt had disintegrated and the AC belt had popped off, but the fan belt is still on. Also, the flying belt damaged that rubber sheath that goes between the fan and the alternator.

So, if I plug the car in (I have one of those plugs built into the car that charges the battery), will I be okay to drive it about 35 miles to my mechanic? What's that rubber shroud thing for? Would it be bad to drive the car with it ripped? It's not totally ruined, but it would be letting outside air in.

I just don't want to risk driving the car if there's any chance of something more major getting damaged. If you all feel that's the case, then I'll hire a tow truck. Thanks!
Blupurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Blupurr
Super User

Blupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the rough

ADDITION: I think I am going to try and find the belt and replace it myself. I've done plenty of belts in the past, and this looks like a simple job. Do you all recommend this? I can then put something over the rubber shroud and take it to my mechanic and ask him if he can order it. That looks pretty simple, too. It's definitely on the exhaust side -- almost like some kind of air induction device to improve the hp output. It looks like it's four or five bolts and slip it into the air duct thingee.

Sorry for the lack of technical terms! Remember, I spent most of my life working on my Miatas.
Unread 05-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
NC TRACKRAT
User

NC TRACKRAT is on a distinguished road

Sorry you didn't get any response in time to make a difference. So how did it work out? "Inquiring minds want to know".
NC TRACKRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #4
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

As of yesterday, I don't think she has done the job yet. Bonni did get some replies in another thread on RW, and I think she is on the road to a successfull DIY. She wisely took some time to make certain she knows what she is doing and has the correct replacement parts (they do vary).
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
Blupurr
Super User

Just got the parts yesterday around 4:30 PM, but had to go teach a class in Pensacola at 6, so I took the Miata instead (to the class) and will work on the car today. I gotta get one of those tension tester things first, though. Hubby took the little car to work, so I'm going to take advantage of using the truck to do various other things as well. I HOPE this is as relatively simple as I've read. Sounds mostly like one of those time-consuming jobs to get the tension just right. Maybe I'll get lucky and get it right the first time. I'm going to count how many spacers are where first, and take a couple of digital pics just in case.

As Bob said, I've been getting some tips on the job in the off topic forum. I've worked on cars for many years, but never on a Porsche, so yes, I did want to get all the ammo I could gather to make sure I don't screw anything up. I'll let you all know when the job is done -- or when I'm towing it to my mechanic, lol.
Unread 05-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #6
Blupurr
Super User

Okay, the games are about to begin. Wish me luck! I've got my breaker bar in there holding up the lid (like many of these cars, my lid shocks are toast). I'm ready to get dirty! Hopefully I won't have any questions . . .
Unread 05-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

You are ready...no towing will be involved.
Unread 05-20-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
Blupurr
Super User

Weee!!! Houston, we have lift off!!!

The changing of the belt was almost as easy as blowing my nose! It took me this long because:

1. Searched my torx ends, did not have the right size. Had to go to the parts place and buy a whole flipping set for the one size I didn't have.

2. I have a 24mm SOCKET, but not a box end. Said item was also purchased.

3. Finally, I'm able to get the nut off, and whoops! It falls down below the pulleys. Called hubby to see if he has one of those magnet things that look like a car antenna. Negative. So I stare for a few minutes, and then I get a piece of wire and tuck it under there, push the nut a ways and then hook it with the end of the wire.

4. Okay . . . after the lid falls on my head a couple of times because I am using a breaker bar as a prop, I finally get the stuff back together. It looked funny the first time, the second time I got all of the inner shims on and it's looser than a two-bit whore. Finally I put just two center shims in, none on the outside, and viola!

I do have to also replace the AC belt, but I'm gonna take a break for that one. The alt belt was the most important. I can driver without the AC belt, but not the alt belt, obviously.

Thanks everyone for helping and for encouraging me on my first Porsche DIY.
Unread 05-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

BSL is on a distinguished road

Congrats! Sounds about like my experience doing it, with the exception of the breaker bar hood prop. Since my AC evaporator is toast I just left the AC belt off.

1995 C2 Cab - lots of goodies from the previous owner

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #10
Blupurr
Super User

In a way, you're lucky your AC doesn't work. That sucker was a BEAR!!! I had to completely remove the bolts to the compressor just to get it on! ARGH. But it's all back together now, and runs beautifully. The only thing now is, they sent me the air duct for a 964 instead of a 993. Apparently the earlier models of 993 had a slightly different engine. Live and learn. Anyway, they're overnighting it to me so I'll put that puppy on in a few minutes tomorrow.

Next on the agenda . . . the dreaded wash 'n wax. It's not a difficult job really, it's just this humidity and my bad back make for a painful experience. But it MUST be one! Blupurr is worth it!
Unread 05-20-2010, 07:43 PM   #11
Bull
Regulator

Great Bonni!

Just a quick question...how did you determine that the air duct is for a 964, but not your car?
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:03 PM   #12
Blupurr
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Great Bonni!

Just a quick question...how did you determine that the air duct is for a 964, but not your car?
Two things . . . first, it was not long enough. Second, the part number wasn't the same as the one I removed. If I'd thought to remove the darn thing before I ordered the parts, I suppose I would have known. Apparently, this kind of thing happens every now and then with Porsche stuff. The guy at Pelican said mine is only the second time this past year that there was a part mix up. The other was some kind of suspension component on a 997 -- can't remember the year, but at one point the suspension on the 997s changed just enough to cause a mix up like mine. Same kind of deal -- the part the guy wanted was from the following model year.
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Bull
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupurr View Post
Two things . . . first, it was not long enough. Second, the part number wasn't the same as the one I removed. If I'd thought to remove the darn thing before I ordered the parts, I suppose I would have known. Apparently, this kind of thing happens every now and then with Porsche stuff. The guy at Pelican said mine is only the second time this past year that there was a part mix up. The other was some kind of suspension component on a 997 -- can't remember the year, but at one point the suspension on the 997s changed just enough to cause a mix up like mine. Same kind of deal -- the part the guy wanted was from the following model year.
Thanks, that is what I suspected with the different part number. You will need to remind the parts counter workers that you have a '95 993, which is the only year that used the non-Varioram intake engine. If they give you what they think of as "the part for a '993", it will most likely be for a '96-'98 Varioram intake engine. Many/most parts won't matter, but some do.
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:20 PM   #14
Blupurr
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
it will most likely be for a '96-'98 Varioram intake engine. Many/most parts won't matter, but some do.
Actually, Bob, I HAVE (fairly certain) the varioram engine. The air duct is actually viewed on Porsche's list as a 1996 part. Weird, or what? Oh . . . how can I figure out if I DO in fact have the VR engine? I read somewhere that I do. Is it in the VIN somewhere? Thanks, bud!
Unread 05-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #15
Bull
Regulator

A '95 with Varioram would be odd, but nothing is impossible. Post a picture of your engine and it will be quickly clear as to which you have. Do you have a basket handle?