Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 928 Forum

Unread 05-01-2015, 12:03 AM   #121
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Success!

I finished up a few things today and took it for a drive. Nice to have those cables to the starter tied up and the oil pan bolts got snugged down.

So far, so good.

The gas tank and pump isn't dripping a single drop of gas.

The clutch is releasing well. No grinding going between gears or into reverse. I didn't try to adjust the clutch and just cranked the "T" adjusters all the way to the rear. I was concerned that would be a problem and the newly relined discs would be too thick or, at least, contribute to dragging.

The shifter is very tight and precise. A big difference in feel from the old transmission with the tall shifter. The later transmission has a lower final drive, It's now a 2.20 vs. 2.75, and it's really noticeable.

The rear Koni's make the car really firm and balanced. Didn't really explore the sway bar mods.

That was a project. I dropped the gas tank and complete drivetrain and:

Replaced G28.05 tranny with G28.11
Cut down shifter handle
Re-booted the CV joints
Replaced sway bar with thcnker S4 bar
Replaced sway bar drop links with solid links
Added 928MS drop link mounts
Replaced rear shocks with Koni's
Patched leaking gas tank
Straightened and padded tank cradle
Painted fuel pump cover
Replaced compressed bumper shock with sold mount
Rebuilt clutch
Relined both discs
Ground the flywheel
Replaced pilot bearing
Replaced pressure plate
Replaced intermediate plate
Replaced throwout arm ball stud

I'll just be puttering with it over the summer. Still no speedo or temperature reading. Maybe over the fall and winter I'll get to rebuilding the engine and engine compartment WYAIT items. In the meantime, I'll be driving it!

Last edited by GlenL; 05-01-2015 at 03:16 PM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (05-01-2015)
Unread 05-06-2015, 04:39 PM   #122
john928
Only in a V8

john928 is on a distinguished road

Nice job Glen!
john928 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john928 For Your Post:
GlenL (05-07-2015)
Unread 02-29-2016, 02:46 PM   #123
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

With the weather warming up and hockey season over, it's car project time in Minnesota.

My next effort will be an engine rebuild with an Ishihara-Johnson crack scraper/windage kit in the bottom. I got that ordered today with a quoted 6-week lead time.

Now to start collecting the other parts. I've got the NLA crank bearing set already. I'll be getting it apart and evaluating the crank, block and pistons before getting too many parts but had to get the bearings when I could.
Unread 04-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #124
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage
Default Collecting Parts

The parts for the engine rebuild and flowing in. I'm going to post the interesting ones.

Now, is this interesting? Here's an oil pick-up off some sort of S4. I'll be removing the "cloverleaf" pick-up that's in the engine now. I like the later pick-up because it goes lower into the pan and has a screen over it.

The cloverleaf is an interesting design but I don't think it really works well. If the the seal between the tube and cloverleaf leaks air can get into the system. Also, once air gets under the lip it'll get sucked into the engine. Under track conditions, I think the edge gets exposed.

With the I-J windage kit, having the tube lower and with a screen is all it needs, anyways.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00734.jpg (194.3 KB, 1 views)
Unread 04-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #125
PedleyDan
User

PedleyDan is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default Very well done .... getting ready to resurrect my own

Been watching you do this. Good job. Endless projects but eventually you get it! Dan Shapiro in Pedley with a 1982 5 speed and 350,000+ miles
PedleyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PedleyDan For Your Post:
GlenL (04-03-2016)
Unread 04-04-2016, 01:10 PM   #126
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Here we have a tensioner off an '89 S4. I like this better as it has the oil fill ports and is a bit bigger internally. The oil fills against the block giving better heat transfer to the tensioner. I think it just works better for maintaining even tension. I won't be using the tensioner warning at all. The early blocks are machined correctly to use these tensioners without modificaiton. Just need the later gasket and it works with the block and existing tensioner parts.

It'll be rebuilt with a new boot and be good-to-go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00739.jpg (173.8 KB, 2 views)
Unread 04-06-2016, 10:34 PM   #127
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

I'll be upgrading the oil pump with this '89 unit. The important difference is the way the shaft is lubricated. On the '80 pump the oil is sucked past the shaft and into the engine. That can suck air in theough the seal. Not good. On the later pump the oil is pumped to the shaft and it drains back into the pan.

In the picture, you can seen the drain tube on the pump as a boss on the outside and an oval hole on the back. The drain hole is towards the bottom of the pic that shows the gear.

This is going to work great but only after drilling a hole though the block to let the oil drain into the sump. The pump looks really nice, too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00736.jpg (188.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00737.jpg (178.0 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by GlenL; 04-07-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Unread 10-09-2016, 01:54 PM   #128
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Geting back to this project after spending the summer on other P-car work.

Here's an engine from a '79 US automatic that I got for free. Got almost the whole car, actually. Gave away a bunch of parts but a lot of good stuff got tucked into the garage.

The project here is to clean and re-seal the engine so it can go into The Zombie while I rebuild the Euro S engine. They're both CIS engines and are plug-compatible. We'll see how it goes as the '79 had sat for 6 years or more. So much goop inside and crusty ocrud on the outside. Some "mechanics" had tried to stop the leaks with sealant. It was on the thermostat, cross-bridge O-ring, oil pump and oil pressure sensor. I decided to not take the heads off, or cam towers, but to re-seal the rest. It needed a water pump as the old one was frozen, or at least sticky. The project is fun and cheap as there are a lot of parts in boxes. Who'd put on a used water pump? Me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Engine68.jpg (204.0 KB, 1 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (10-09-2016)
Unread 10-09-2016, 09:33 PM   #129
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenL View Post
Geting back to this project after spending the summer on other P-car work.

Here's an engine from a '79 US automatic that I got for free. Got almost the whole car, actually. Gave away a bunch of parts but a lot of good stuff got tucked into the garage.

The project here is to clean and re-seal the engine so it can go into The Zombie while I rebuild the Euro S engine. They're both CIS engines and are plug-compatible. We'll see how it goes as the '79 had sat for 6 years or more. So much goop inside and crusty ocrud on the outside. Some "mechanics" had tried to stop the leaks with sealant. It was on the thermostat, cross-bridge O-ring, oil pump and oil pressure sensor. I decided to not take the heads off, or cam towers, but to re-seal the rest. It needed a water pump as the old one was frozen, or at least sticky. The project is fun and cheap as there are a lot of parts in boxes. Who'd put on a used water pump? Me!
you sure you dont want to pull the heads since its out and the most convenient?

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2016, 11:44 PM   #130
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlege View Post
you sure you dont want to pull the heads since its out and the most convenient?
That's good advice but I decided to risk it. Just trying to get the engine ready at minimal cost and effort. I was also concerned I'd bust cam tower bolts or have a head stud problem. "Ready" is getting set at runs and fluids don't blow out of it. If it loses a head gasket dramatically I'll have done it wrong.

I was mulling over moving the cams and FI system to a 4.7L block and heads and having the heads done...and then realized I was lining myself up for ~$700 and another 15 hours of work.

Last edited by GlenL; 10-10-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Unread 10-11-2016, 08:16 AM   #131
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenL View Post
That's good advice but I decided to risk it. Just trying to get the engine ready at minimal cost and effort. I was also concerned I'd bust cam tower bolts or have a head stud problem. "Ready" is getting set at runs and fluids don't blow out of it. If it loses a head gasket dramatically I'll have done it wrong.

I was mulling over moving the cams and FI system to a 4.7L block and heads and having the heads done...and then realized I was lining myself up for ~$700 and another 15 hours of work.
I understand and if it ran fine before then i would be ok with not going to extra mile. But the stop leak would tell me they thought they had a blown HG and wanted to bandaid it up

Seeing you work on this car makes me want to grab a 928 on the cheap and work on it.

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2016, 12:09 AM   #132
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

There wasn't stop leak used, from what I can tell. There was RTV on multiple things. Maybe they couldn't get parts so just gooped it and put it back. We'll see if it's a problem.

Tonight I used a fuel pump to try out the CIS system. Doesn't look promising!

What you see is a fuel pump attached to the supply with the return going back into the fuel can. A couple of platic trays catch the drips and injector spray. Without the injectors there was dripping from 7 of 8 lines. With injectors on there was one 1 really spraying. The injectors include 4 good ones and 4 I got used years ago. This will take more work, obviously, and I may just use the FI system off the working engine when I pull it.

I don't know what that copper pipe "tree" is in the middle. It wasn't connected when I got the car. I'm not sure what it could be for.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00972.jpg (164.2 KB, 3 views)
Unread 11-08-2016, 12:03 AM   #133
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Work happens.

Here's a pic that tells the story. The engine for the Euro S is on the hook. Came out fairly easily as the exhaust and drivetrain have been off in the last couple of years. The wiring harness wasn't bolted to the crossmember which suggests the engine has been out before. I'm curious as to if the internals are stock. The car really pulls. One thing I noticed was that the fuel distributor has bolts on the top next to each outlet banjo fitting. Bolts or adjusters of some sort?

The '79 donor car engine is coming along. It's on the floor with no FI system. I've got the CIS working, sort of. All the injectors spray but not evenly and not in good patterns. I decided to move the engine pull ahead to take advantage of the long fall we're having. A lack of snow and frost has made me complacent about finishing the summer projects.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00994.jpg (243.4 KB, 2 views)
Unread 11-08-2016, 12:08 AM   #134
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

And the car needs an engine. I'll be putting in a new steering rack, hoses and a few other parts before dropping in the '79 engine. Sharp eyes will see the clutch is still in place. I've found it easier to struggle with aligning the intermediate shaft nub from above rather than lifting the clutch pack from below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00992.jpg (231.4 KB, 1 views)
Unread 11-18-2016, 08:48 PM   #135
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Working on installing the '79 engine now. Found that the mounts were broken. Luckily, I had some used ones on the shelf. Those were cracked a bit. I think I'll get some new ones for putting the "S" engine back. Not cheap, but I like them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00997.jpg (126.1 KB, 0 views)