Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > BMW Forums > All Current and Past BMW Series > BMW 3 Series

Unread 09-02-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
micah jones
Hoosier.

micah jones is on a distinguished road
Garage
Default The 335.

So, I've never been more frustrated with a car and yet in love with it at the same time. A "client advisor" at the local BMW dealership told me over a year ago: "I don't even have to work to sell you a 335. You've driven them - what else are you going to buy?"

Incredibly, that jerk was right.

My wife's daily driver is a 6 Speed 335i coupe. It's a fantastic car - the styling is phenomenal. I like it better than the styling of any generation M3 - and even a bit more than the 90s 8 series. IMHO, the only BMW in the current lineup that comes close is the 6 Series coupe. The Z3-based M Coupe was an interesting contender as well - but only because it is so different from everything else. I suppose the only BMW whose styling I like better is the M1... and that car is in a league of its own, anyway.

The drivetrain is superb. It's powerful everywhere you need it to be and, when pushed, has a delightful snarl. The 6 speed is fantastic, and it's a crime that the majority of these cars are equipped with a slush box (even if you can tick the option box and get castrated "shift paddles" on the wheel...) It somehow manages to give you a very positive, distinct gear change that's just long enough to avoid feeling toy-like. On performance and driving experience alone, you would have to be a complete fool to pick any other car at this price. And that leads me to my next point...

In this day and age, the 335 really represents a rare automotive segment. Name another high performance manual coupe with a 100k mile warranty that can comfortably sit 4 adults and cost (CPO) less $32-35k. They simply do not exist. Ironically, the closest thing to the 335i is the M3 which, although admittedly faster, is also vastly more expensive and is (in the eye of the beholder, I suppose) considerably less attractive. If you're thinking G35/7, then you've never put someone over 6' tall in the back of one. Not to mention it's not even in the same league for build quality and/or looks.

On the other hand, as we have begrudgingly discovered, it's a mx intensive car. We've had significant fuel issues twice with this car. The first time was upon delivery; after we had the fuel injectors replaced and swore by a strict program of 93 Octane Shell-only gasoline, we never had another issue, until...

My wife and I had to move to New Mexico, where, on a good day you can manage to find 90 Octane. This car absolutely hates this fuel. I am 100% positive that virtually all of the HPFP/injector/filter problems these cars experience are a direct result of the water-thinned kerosene we are forced to buy here in the states. It's unbelievable. With only 90 octane available in a little POS town in TX, needless to say, my wife experienced stalling followed by "limp mode." The car was trailered to Lubbock (on BMW's dollar), my wife was given a rental car (on BMW's dollar) and the car had a clogged fuel filter replaced. We have since discovered that there is only one location in the "local" area to purchase 91 octane - and it's a 30 minute drive from our house.

It's now running fine, and that having been said I actually feel bad. If you haven't looked, '35's are being regularly lampooned on other internet forums for their "inherent" fuel system issues... issues that are virtually nonexistent in Europe. Here it is, stranded in the U.S. where it's getting a bad wrap for fuel delivery issues that are a direct result of piss-poor fuel quality. It hardly seems fair.

So, I'm torn. It's a PITA sometimes, but there's nothing else quite like the 335 available - and to get something "better" you have to spend considerably more money. The 335 has somehow managed to corner a market in which it isn't even allowed to perform at its full potential.

Micah
micah jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 08:38 AM   #2
SeanR
Super User

SeanR is a splendid one to beholdSeanR is a splendid one to beholdSeanR is a splendid one to beholdSeanR is a splendid one to beholdSeanR is a splendid one to beholdSeanR is a splendid one to behold
Garage

I have to agree with you that the 335 is one of the best BMW's out there. I'd love to have one. As with the other issues, no clue. BUT, I feel you must post some pictures.
SeanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #3
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

The '04 Z4 3.0i I used to have was very sensitive to fuel - I can only imagine that the turbo motor is even more so. As long as I used Shell or Sunoco I was fine. Put something else in and it was a crapshoot. Since I lived in a major city at the time, it really wasn't an issue for me. To this day I regret getting rid of that car

But I don't agree with you in the looks department. I love the current 1 and 3 series styling, but nothing makes my mouth water like a Z8. I also love the old roadsters like the 328 and 507. I also like the 2002, E21...well, shit - I think it's safe to say that there are very few BMWs I don't like
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
micah jones
Hoosier.

micah jones is on a distinguished road
Garage

Glad to hear there are some solid BMW fans here!

I can't stand the 1 series, but of course that's just my opinion. I guess it's a size limitation thing, but I feel like the roof line is too high for the body. This throws off the profile and makes it look like an economy car. I'm sure the 135 is an absolute blast to drive, though.

You brought up an interesting point with the Z8. I always liked this car, but again I just can't go for the styling. I'm just a coupe man at heart

No good pictures of Leslie's 335; I'll have to work on that when I get out to New Mexico

Micah
micah jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #5
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah jones View Post
Glad to hear there are some solid BMW fans here!

I can't stand the 1 series, but of course that's just my opinion. I guess it's a size limitation thing, but I feel like the roof line is too high for the body. This throws off the profile and makes it look like an economy car. I'm sure the 135 is an absolute blast to drive, though.
That's exactly what I like about it that reminds me of the 2002. A tall greenhouse has always screamed "BMW" to me, like the car below:

Click the image to open in full size.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
SHIELDZE1025
New User

SHIELDZE1025 is on a distinguished road

I absolutely love my 335. I've had minimal problems at at 60k miles I still haven't had any fuel system problem (knock on wood). Luckily we have 93 octane here and I only use Shell VPower. I use it as a daily driver and I think its perfect for it.

BTW, this is my first post. A Porsche friend of mine mentioned reutterwerk to me so I figured I'd sign up when I saw there was a BMW section. Look forward to bs'ing with you all!
SHIELDZE1025 is offline   Reply With Quote