Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > BMW Forums > All Current and Past BMW Series > BMW 5 Series

Unread 03-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
Thucydides
Good Drover
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud of
Default 535i vs 550i

So after a little research on bimmerforums, it looks like the 535 is plagued by problems with the fuel pump and maybe the injectors. Or maybe that is all just 550 people talking trash.

Anyone here have any opinions on '07-'08 535i vs 550i?
Unread 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,112 Posts
Dick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I've got an 08 535xi touring which has the Dinan ECU upgrade. No problems here. Check out feedback on the E60 forums which have more adults than Bimmerforums which I've found to be a bunch of poseurs and children with too much time on their hands. YMMV.

By the way I LOVE MY wagon.
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

"AMERICA! Designed by geniuses, Run by idiots.."

Last edited by Dick B.; 03-29-2009 at 10:05 PM.
Dick B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2009, 10:59 PM   #3
Thucydides
Good Drover
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud ofThucydides has much to be proud of

Thanks for the tip. I'll check out e60 tonight.

I was very tempted to pick up an '08 535i this weekend, but I resisted so I could find out more first.
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Thucydides
Good Drover
Reutterwerk
Supporter

What do you think of BMWs free service? Does your chip void any of that?

I think I'm also going to look at an '07 550i with sport/premium. Do you have Nav on yours? What do you think of it?
Unread 03-30-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Dick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

I think free service is fantastic. Everything is covered except tire wear. Dinan picks up the BMW warranty on the engine portion $ for $ for however long you have left on the new car warranty when the upgrade is done. $2K for 85 more hp and 125 ft/lb of torque (from 300/300 to 385/425) is pretty cheap. (esp relative to what it cost to put the intercooled supercharger on my 993).

I traded my 04 545i sport with 6 speed for the wagon and the wagon would kick it's butt and most likely be a good match for a stock 550i ... they're both pretty heavy but the handling is just fantastic!
I'd for sure look for sport/premium packages for the seats if nothing else. I wouldn't bother with the nav system as none of them are as good as a nuvi for about $250 bucks and you can move that from car to car.
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

Unread 03-30-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
Thucydides
Good Drover
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanks. I agree on both the seats and the nav. I was still curious though since I'm new to BMW. Most of the cars I've seen have sports/premium anyway. That shouldn't really come into play once a car is 2yrs old anyway. Whoever bought it new got burned with those costs - and the $22k or so in depreciation.

The seats in the '08 535 were great and the suspension was plenty sporty for a sedan of that size. I'm not getting it for the track. I'll have to see about the Dinan, but it sounds like fun.

Warranty question - If I buy a car with 15k miles from a dealer or individual in another state, when I show up at my local BMW dealership are they going to do the service for free or is there some kind of official transfer of warranty that I need to be aware of? The car I test drove was basically a CPO car up to 50k and then a $50 co-pay for services between 50k-100k miles for no additional charge. But that was a used car at my local dealer.
Unread 03-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #7
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

I would stongly suggest you only consider a CPO car from a BMW dealer or a car from an individual that still has some of the original warranty left. I'm not sure what kind of paperwork or transfers you need to make if you buy from an individual but a local BMW dealer should be able to help you with that ... or for that matter there may be some info on the BMw web site. Just, whatever you do, depend on the stuff on the various BWW forums. I've never seen so much bad info as contained on most of them.

I don't know what "basically a CPO car is". It either is a CPO car (only available from a BMW dealer -- it adds about $2k to the blue book price of a used car) or it is still under warranty from the original buyer. As you probably know most all of the CPO cars are lease returns.

Finally, I'm not familiar the co-pay thing you mentioned. If you're going to get a BMW you want to get as much warranty protection as you can. These babies are pretty spendy if you have to have any of the hi tech stuff fixed or replaced ......... oh but driving a bimmer is sublime!!!!!!!!
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

Unread 03-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #8
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Oh, forgot one other thing. Be sure to join BMWCCA. It's cheap, has a great mag (about 2 billion x better than that POS Porsche puts out) and if you are a member a year or more you get $ back on new and CPO cars. Up to $2K on a 7 series, 1.5 on a fiver, 1 on a 3 series, $500 on a CPO....nothing for M cars, however.

That is all.
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

Unread 03-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #9
Thucydides
Good Drover
Reutterwerk
Supporter

It was a CPO car. I shouldn't have typed "basically". It was an '08 535i with 12kmiles that had been the service loaner. There was something about that that I didn't like. They had it at $41k something, so it was at the bottom of the price range that you see when looking at AutoTrader or something. That car sold today, but there are a lot of 5series out there.

I'll be sure to find a car with plenty of warranty left.
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Good hunting.
Unread 04-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
Thucydides
Good Drover
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Provided everything checks out, I'm bringing this home on Wed. It's an '08 535i, loaded with all the good stuff. I'm probably going to tint the windows and that's it.

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 04-05-2009, 07:17 PM   #12
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Excellent. You're gonna love it. Register @ E60 forum ... Good info there.
Unread 04-10-2009, 09:39 PM   #13
Thucydides
Good Drover
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Ok, I got her home. Everything is good, except for a small ballooning on the sidewall of one front tire from some rough patches on the interstate. I've never been a fan of run flats. I had already planned to get rid of them, but not right away. I never knew that there were such serious potholes on the interstate. I thought they filled those in right away. One was so bad that it made the cd skip. I think that was the one that got me. Bad luck I guess.

And, holy shit, Cleveland, Ohio! The only place with more mustaches is a Village People reunion. And I've never seen so many state troopers on a stretch of road in my life. I wouldn't have a license if I lived there. Everytime you think you've made it past a speed trap - there's another one and another one.

Terrible weather here. Pics to come next week. I love the car. I don't know what all of the bitching about iDrive is about. Seems pretty simple to me. The iPod interface is a little lame though - in that it doesn't detect the iPod when you get back in the car after turning it off. I have to unplug it from the USB plug and then plug it back in. It's like they designed it to only work for a person that took their iPod with them every time they got out of the car. This is probably something that I can learn about and correct on the e60 forum - at least I hope.
Unread 04-10-2009, 09:54 PM   #14
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Congrats. First of all I HATE RUN FLATS!! I just don't know why BMW is so fixed on the fucking things. They're noisy, can't be repaired and are expensive as hell to replace. When mine wear out they're history.

You're dead on about iDrive. Much ado about nothing .... automotive writers need something to bitch about and if it wasn't the Bangle butt on the cars it was iDrive. The Command system I had in my one and only MB was a total piece of crap. Once you set up iDrive that's it.

As to the iPod problem I find that strange. I never take my iPod out of the car and it's never given me that problem. About 3 times in the year I've had the car it has locked up on me and the only way to get it back in shape is to take it out of the car and let the battery run down .... then just charge it up and back in business.

Did you get a 6 speed or auto tranny. I wouldn't know what to do with my left foot if I didn't have a clutch.

Funfer's are the ultimate road machine ... can't imagine what it would be like do long trips in a 7 series. And yes the cops in OH are a bunch of Nazi's, tho I haven't had the pleasure of driving there for some years now. How long a trip did you have to get the car?

Happy motoring!
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

Unread 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #15
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

So how's the bimmer?
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS