Shark Attack,

You really are jumping the gun.

The sensor in the rad can fail.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #17
grey wolf
User

grey wolf is on a distinguished road

Hey, Kyle, was wondering when you were going to chim in. Remember the first T/B W/P job we did on the car, well she ran good untill then. About 1100 milles later was the PGH Gran Prix when she overheated. Put the new engine in and 1500 miles later,(now), I replaced the T/B and W/P on this engine due to the crack cam gears, and I used the W/P that we used for the first job, and after 30 to 40 miles she's overheating again. I'm convinced that the rebuilt W/P is bad and will replace it along with the thermostat over the weekend.
Bad Luck is one way to put it.........
Shark Attack (07-02-2009)
Unread 06-30-2009, 12:04 AM   #18
grey wolf
User

Lizard, the sensor in the rad was new when the engine was swapped out. She's not even getting hot on the drivers side of the rad when she starts to boil over. I used an IR gun to confirm this as well as touch. The heater in the passanger compartment only starts to get warm by the time she starts to overheat in ten minutes time at an idle. My bet is either the water pump is bad or the t-stat is sticking or both......Thoughts? you usually have a good handle on these sort of things.
Unread 06-30-2009, 04:34 AM   #19
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Lizard will become famous soon enough

Your coolant is definetly NOT circulating properly.

as suggested to a member on Rlist,
Remove the thermostat and measure the opening of the recirculation hole which the thermostat caps off. The go to home depot and get a plumbers plug. Basically a piece of rubber between 2 plates with a carriage bolt and nut with lockwasher. Put this into the recirculation hole and tighten down to prevent any recirculation.
Then you may need to gut a thermostat (sounds like you have a bad one anyways), and put gut the outter ring with o-ring to seal the neck. Once done hook everything back up and start the car. If it still has the same symptoms then your waterpump is definetly not moving the coolant meaning that the impellor is not spinning.

But if the problems disappear, it will take a alot longer to get upto temperature. And you will know that it is simply that the thermostat is not working.
Unread 06-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #20
Shark Attack
Great, great, Have your people call my people

Shark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Shark Attack,

You really are jumping the gun.

The sensor in the rad can fail.
I was tired, when I answered that post. You have a VERY good point. But so does Mike about the same pump in two cars and over-heating.

I think I am going to go out a hug my car. Shes been REALLY good. Now with that said let murphy begin his games!
Shark Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #21
WyattsRide
User

WyattsRide will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Attack View Post
.......I think I am going to go out a hug my car. .....!
As long as you keep it to just "hugging" you'll be alright.

Mike,
Good luck this weekend. I hope your WP project will solve your problems. I hope I can make some time and get over to you. I need some learnin'
WyattsRide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WyattsRide For Your Post:
Unread 07-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
linderpat
Out here in the perimeter
Reutterwerk
Supporter

linderpat has a spectacular aura aboutlinderpat has a spectacular aura aboutlinderpat has a spectacular aura about

Cool - new guy in the WPA fold - hope you all are carrying on the tradition, and going to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix again this summer!

85 5spd 928 (guards red overtan)
05 6 spd 997 (slate gray over terra cotta)
928 Owners Club member
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to linderpat For Your Post:
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #23
grey wolf
User

Ok, heres the scoop. Water pump was BAD! So bad that i was able to remove the impeller from the shaft using just my hands, and it didn't take much effort to do that. This was a rebuilt pump with maybe 2500 miles on it. I have to admit that I was skeptical when people told me that these rebuilt pumps aren't reliable, I'm a skeptic no more.
I still have the belts to put on and install the radiator, fill with fluids and test drive her.
Hopefully all goes well this time.......
Unread 07-04-2009, 02:58 AM   #24
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Lizard will become famous soon enough

If that pump is not going to be accepted as a core, or if the supplier doesnt want it back I will take it

I need one without an impellor......
Unread 07-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #25
linderpat
Out here in the perimeter
Reutterwerk
Supporter

linderpat has a spectacular aura aboutlinderpat has a spectacular aura aboutlinderpat has a spectacular aura about

Wow! Hope that solves the problem once and for all!

85 5spd 928 (guards red overtan)
05 6 spd 997 (slate gray over terra cotta)
928 Owners Club member
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 01:04 AM   #26
6mil928
Oklahoma Dust Devil
Reutterwerk
Supporter

6mil928 is on a distinguished road

Fingers crossed for you greywolf.
6mil928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2009, 10:01 PM   #27
grey wolf
User

Ok, Rick, "wyattsride" came over today and helped me finish this job. He pointed out that the P/S belt was chirpping a bit and we tried to rectify that, which we did for the most part, I forgot to tighten all the P/S pump bolts. Thanks Rick..
Rick also brought me a nice little die cast 928, a red one at that. Thanks again Rick.
Took the car out and she ran good but the "I" light came on with no particular warnings. I suspect there to be an air bubble in the cooling system and will check that tomorrow. The temp guage only moved a little higher after that came on, but No overheating. Hopefully it just needs a coolant top off.
WyattsRide (07-05-2009)
Unread 07-05-2009, 11:55 PM   #28
WyattsRide
User

What a great time I had at Mike's house observing him put his engine back together. Don't let him fool you, I had nothing to do with helping him "finish this job". Nor, did I point out the "chirping". The engine sounded BEAUTIFUL to me and it was Mike who noticed the noise! I do think I was a good light holder though!!
Mike was really a gracious host to me while assembling the puzzle and answering all my questions at the same time. I really appreciated it. In a way it seems like something I want to take on (especially seeing that sweet red Shark sitting in his garage) but, in a way it also scares me. I don't want to buy a car that I'm constantly fixing and never getting to enjoying it by flying past the domestic hot rods. Lots of stuff going through my head right now.

Thanks again Mike for inviting me over and teaching me some things. But You didn't teach me about the "I" light. Could you explain that one?
Unread 07-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #29
Steve Geiger
User

Steve Geiger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattsRide View Post
I don't want to buy a car that I'm constantly fixing and never getting to enjoying it by flying past the domestic hot rods. Lots of stuff going through my head right now.
From these forums, it might seem that we never get to enjoy them. Remember that the forums exist to answer problems, so that is what you find here; it may seem that we spend all our time under the car. Sometimes that is true and there is luck involved (sorry about the WP, Grey Wolf). The car is more complicated than most. I'm reminded of the WRX that walked away from me at a light. He was definintely faster off the line, but for the rest of his drive and in his garage, it is still a WRX and a lot of fun I bet. I'm not putting down those cars. You must buy what you can afford and what you can deal with.
Steve Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM   #30
WyattsRide
User

Ha! Bringing back to life a very old thread.

This was when I just met the local 928 guys and was still looking for my 928. Ed (linderpat) (he was still in Montana at the time) Mike W (grey wolf) and Kyle H (Shark Attack) were all very helpful.

Ended up buying my car from Steve (above) from Long Island. Still very good friends with him and we get together at least once a year. See you soon Steve!

Ed and I are very good friends also. We've done a lot of nonPorsche, Porsche and 928 events together. So glad he moved back to Pittsburgh. He's taught me sooo much about these cars.

Even though Mike W sold his beautiful red 84, we still see him around and the car was bought by another local 928 friend Adam. I actually saw the car Sunday. It's still running well. Mike W taught me a lot also.

Haven't talked to Kyle in years. Still wonder where his Crystal Green 5 speed 85 went. What a beautiful car.

Forgot to mention meeting and learning from two greats on this thread. SeanR and Mrmerlin. Sean and Stan are top notch guys. I always enjoy getting together with them at Frenzy and/or Hershey.

Glad this Forum wasn't shut down. It has a lot of great memories in it for me. I think I was here before RL. Thanks JD for keeping it open.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WyattsRide For Your Post:
carlege (03-26-2019), GlenL (03-26-2019), linderpat (03-28-2019), PedleyDan (03-27-2019)