Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Turbo Forums > 944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum

Unread 04-12-2011, 11:12 AM   #31
Indy951
Trollbait..

Indy951 is on a distinguished road

I love the smell of clear...but hate the smell of prep!

+1 on making the front fit right. It's probably just me, but there are LOTS of really nice 951s that have "gap" issues all over the front end. Some have a finger width on one side of the headlight cover, and you can't get a credit card in on the other side.
Indy951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #32
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy951 View Post
I love the smell of clear...but hate the smell of prep!

+1 on making the front fit right. It's probably just me, but there are LOTS of really nice 951s that have "gap" issues all over the front end. Some have a finger width on one side of the headlight cover, and you can't get a credit card in on the other side.
The front fit on a 951 is something that I really notice, and I've found that it isn't that hard to get it right if you're patient. And I'm a real amateur with this stuff!

It's interesting that you mention the smell of clear: this new Dupont low VOC clear is potentially the worst smelling substance I've ever encountered! You don't reduce it, you just mix it 4:1 with their new activator and shoot it. Nice paint, but wow do the fumes hang around. I always shoot with a mask anyway, but there is literally no way anyone would shoot without one on this stuff.
pontifex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #33
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

I test fit the fenders tonight and I think the paint is a pretty good match! Also, I got my new hatch pins and blocks and a couple of other handy things. I'll likely get the car back on the road this weekend.
Unread 04-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #34
Indy951
Trollbait..

Indy951 is on a distinguished road

I try to use my supplied air respirator, but there are times when its just easier to shoot. Not healthy, but I ride motorcycles, fly airplanes, and lay under a german car for endless hours. I'm betting one of them will get me first....
Indy951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2011, 08:29 PM   #35
ehall
Inveterate Sojourner

ehall has a spectacular aura aboutehall has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Personally, I don't care for brown seats in a sea of black. Then again, I don't really care for brown at all.

If I was going to do can can, I'd do the interior in two-tone. Black over can can on the door panels and dash, can can center console, black carpet, black shifter boot with red stitching. Seat backs in black.

I'm just having a hard time picturing the 996 seats in red.
I agree completely, unless the "brown" color is Champagne or Cashmere.
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 12:46 AM   #36
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

What colour is cashmere?

I'm getting ready to drain the coolant this weekend to replace:
  • Hoses
  • Turbo water pump
  • Coolant
Because I don't have a fancy contraption like JoKA's rad drain, I'm planning to drain it by pulling off a lower hose, rather than improvise some kind of funnel or something and risking the drain plug breaking. How long does the coolant take to drain? Does anyone have any tips?
Unread 04-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #37
ehall
Inveterate Sojourner

ehall has a spectacular aura aboutehall has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontifex4 View Post
What colour is cashmere?

• Hoses
  • Turbo water pump
  • Coolant
Because I don't have a fancy contraption like JoKA's rad drain, I'm planning to drain it by pulling off a lower hose, rather than improvise some kind of funnel or something and risking the drain plug breaking. How long does the coolant take to drain? Does anyone have any tips?
cashmere pic. Just pull the hose and remove the filler cap. It won't take long at all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 523698d1301288399-fs-968-door-panels-sold-dsc01221.jpg (62.6 KB, 0 views)
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 09:18 AM   #38
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
I agree completely, unless the "brown" color is Champagne or Cashmere.
I never considered either one of those to be brown. My least favorite interiors in the 944 series is brown and burgundy. Not a huge fan of that plaid interior either. And I've yet to see a two-tone seat (factory or aftermarket) that looks good in these cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontifex4 View Post
What colour is cashmere?

• Hoses
  • Turbo water pump
  • Coolant
I believe Greg's interior is Cashmere. It's either that or Champignon. I get confused easily.

I'm going to be doing some of the same things you are this weekend. I'm draining the cooling system to replace the turbo water pump, radiator and expansion tank. Since I don't have access to a garage, I hope the weather will hold out for me.

As for draining the radiator, I still use the plastic plug. What I do, and maybe this is where I get lucky, is use the tip of a prybar to loosen it. I know it sounds stupid, but that is the only tool I have that is wide enough to span the entire width of the slot on the plug. On the parts car, I tried to use a big flat-bladed screwdriver and it started to tear up the plug, so I grabbed the prybar that I had laying under the car. Removed the plug easily. I've been doing it that way since then.

If you pop off the lower hose, the coolant will be drained in about 3 seconds. Don't forget to take the radiator cap off! Draining through the plug will take a few minutes.

What turbo water pump are you using? I just bought a new OE one from Sunset.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #39
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

I bought a used one, I think from Lart.

If I go the plug route, I'll be sure to use the biggest bladed thing that will fit in there. If it already looks to be in bad shape, though, I may chicken out and go the hose route. Thanks for the tip!
Unread 04-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #40
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

No progress on the hoses yet, but I got the last of this round of the painting and body work done. This should hold me for the summer, I think.

The quarters were a bit wrinkled, had filler cracks (and big pieces of it flaking off) and obvious rust behind.

Passenger's side:

Click the image to open in full size.

Driver's side:

I've come back to the city for the night to go to a party, so I'll get started on the cooling system tomorrow, I hope.
Unread 04-18-2011, 12:13 AM   #41
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

The new hatch is on and latching, but it still sticks a bit on the right side, no matter how I align the latches. I think I'll have to use Curt's strategy with the latch drains so that I can see what's going on.

As it turns out, I got the coolant leaks (up to 16psi, anyway) taken care of today without changing any hoses, though it's definitely only a matter of time for the main water pump to radiator hose, as the unintended extra elevation of the rad from sitting on an NA radiator mount has caused the big hose to start to touch the oil cooler line.

The main offenders were the clamps on both passenger side connections to the rad, one hose clamp on either side of the cross member and the turbo coolant pump (the pump, itself was leaking, not the hose connections to it -- I was able to just tighten the four Phillips screws from the bottom and seal it up without taking it off). I have a box of new hoses, as well as a replacement turbo water pump, but I still haven't found a way to put in the time it would require to change them all.

Anyway, the car is back on its wheels with most of the body parts screwed on, but I ran out of good fender bolts, and I think I'm going to need to order some. Also, it snowed hard today. The car is still in the garage.
Unread 04-18-2011, 08:14 AM   #42
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

I can try to explain another trick I do with the latches and this usually sets them pretty damn close every time. Loosen the nuts just enough where the latches can shift, but not easily move. Set the hatch down into them 3 or 4 times without letting it latch shut. Tighten nuts, see if it latches. If you only have one side sticking, do just that side.

If the hatch latches, you'll have to start over because as soon as you try to use the key, it will shift the latch and you will have to start over again. Also, if it latches, you may have to crawl into the hatch to get it open again. You can shorten the pins to keep it from latching at all until you're done.

But I will have to say - new latches was probably one of the best $100 I spent on this car. Well, one of the best things...
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #43
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

I got the fenders bolted on in time to make it to a local 944 meet:

It's good to have it back on the road!
Unread 04-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #44
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Awesome to hear Charlie!

Looks like a pretty decent gathering.. Even an NA in the bunch.. and is that 968 I spy, or was it a 928?

OR

Ask me about my other stuffs!
John Koa Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #45
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koa Wood View Post
Awesome to hear Charlie!

Looks like a pretty decent gathering.. Even an NA in the bunch.. and is that 968 I spy, or was it a 928?
Thanks! It's a very late 928 S4. Nice car. I definitely like the colour.

We had fun.