Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Turbo Forums > 944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum

Unread 06-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #226
333pg333
User

333pg333 is on a distinguished road

To add, the previous engine builder that I was using in L.A. said he had some very odd differences in EGT temps with a similar setup to yours Rich. Stock intake (extruded honed & some internal mods), big cam, big valve head, CEP 4:1 headers.

He said he couldn't figure out what was going on and tried (and charged me for) a great deal of R&D. At one stage he had the motor running in n/a mode. The EGT differences were only at low throttle openings though. Similar 100f+ differences you've seen. At one stage he tried to blame the headers but eventually when he and Dave 'discussed' this it was agreed that somehow the racehead and headers were overwhelming the stock-ish intake and exacerbating the inherent irregular flow in these.

The work was never finished with that builder and the motor is back home with me. I am still waiting on a new intake and not sure what to use now. Thom seems to believe the LR one is a decent option yet many others believe it is a poor option. Not sure if my experience is of any use to you but perhaps you might want to contact Dave too. He was working on an alternative but it is being delayed.

Last edited by 333pg333; 06-02-2013 at 05:59 PM.
333pg333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #227
rluciano
User

rluciano is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
Where are your EGT sensors?
I have a single one in the test port of the cross pipe and I have not seen more than 1800°F so far.
My IAT never gets higher than 75°F above ambiant, I have an SFR front mount IC, running 18psi of boost, but I do not measure the turbo oulet temp, and I have not tracked the car.

My turbo is a GTX3076R, but it flows about the same as your GT35.

Can you post a log showing IAT and TPS?

Where is your IAT sensor?
Your inlet temps in traffic sound pretty normal to me if the IAT sensor is in the intake manifold, after the TB, which will stay near shut all the time when driving in traffic. The stock intake will soak heat pretty bad regardless of IC when driving in traffic. If the IAT doesn't collapse once you get out of traffic when you get on the boost, then your IC may need longer exposure to fresh air to get rid of the heat it has accumulated when driving at low loads and soaking engine heat.

edit : I just had a look at your pictures, it looks like you have the IAT sensor in the hard pipe between the IC outlet and the TB. If your IAT gets that high then the IAC may soak heat really bad/cannot cope with the output of the turbo/isn't exposed enough to fresh air. Can you lay your hand on the hard pipe after a full load run?
I have two IAT sensors, one PLX thermocouple in the middle of the hard pipe and the one used by the ECU is a Delco unit just before the throttle blade. It used to be in the intake manifold but we had to weld that hole shut to attach the CEP throttle body. Both IACs respond very rapidly. I obviously don't know how accurately. The Delco one seems a little faster to come down after heating up. But the differences aren't big and don't last.

There is no way I could hold the post inter-cooler hard pipe after a WOT run.

The EGT sensors are located a little more than an inch and a half from where the exhaust bolts to the head. I wonder how much cooling (if any) takes place from the exhaust valve to the cross over pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333pg333 View Post
To add, the previous engine builder that I was using in L.A. said he had some very odd differences in EGT temps with a similar setup to yours Rich. Stock intake (extruded honed & some internal mods), big cam, big valve head, CEP 4:1 headers.

He said he couldn't figure out what was going on and tried (and charged me for) a great deal of R&D. At one stage he had the motor running in n/a mode. The EGT differences were only at low throttle openings though. Similar 100f+ differences you've seen. At one stage he tried to blame the headers but eventually when he and Dave 'discussed' this it was agreed that somehow the racehead and headers were overwhelming the stock-ish intake and exacerbating the inherent irregular flow in these.

The work was never finished with that builder and the motor is back home with me. I am still waiting on a new intake and not sure what to use now. Thom seems to believe the LR one is a decent option yet many others believe it is a poor option. Not sure if my experience is of any use to you but perhaps you might want to contact Dave too. He was working on an alternative but it is being delayed.
My EGT differences diminish under load, but they are still 50-75˚F. I happen to have a Lindsey intake around. (In a moment of insanity, I had tried it on my wife's '86 944NA.) Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Thanks y'all.
rluciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2013, 10:54 PM   #228
333pg333
User

333pg333 is on a distinguished road

Keep us in the loop on all this please. Interested in your findings.
Unread 06-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #229
gruhsy
New User

gruhsy is on a distinguished road

Don't know if this helps but when sitting in traffic on a warm day my car oil temps will climb to 230.

I have the same rad as you. 3.0L with LR stage III head. Extrude honed intake, super 75 with T4 hotside and a very aggressive cam and LR stage 2 intercooler and 5 inch ceramic coated exhaust. I have 3 aftermarket fans setup on car. 1 Fan from broadfoot racing and 2 Derale tornado high output fans.

My rad is ice cold when I see those temps. I think its a coolant flow problem at low rpm's.

I have the kevlar timing belt which I wonder if it slips at low speeds????

I am also running a mafterburner setup right now.

As soon as I start driving temps drop down low. Oil thermostat is a 190 and coolant thermostat is I think an 85.

Chris White discovered an issue with thermostats not opening up properly due to poor design. He and I chatted on the phone about it.
I never did get around to trying a different brand I just put in another one that I had lying around. It was better than the one I took out but still not quite right.

Normal highway I am down around 160 for oil. My temp sender is in the drain plug...the LR drain plug setup.

Try a different thermostat and see what happens...It's a pain to change but a cheap fix.

Oh and I am running Evans coolant also.

hope that helps,

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluciano View Post
I was trying to trace down a few problems on my car. Now the ECU is out and on its way to NZ shortly.

But what are normal EGTs? I see 1200-1450˚ F around town. Under heavy load I have seen 1750˚ F at the track. The other day I was under my car with it idling and the headers (CEP 4 into 1) were glowing orange. Is this normal?

Also cylinder 1 is consistently the hottest cylinder often by 100˚F. Adding fuel to it doesn't help.

My intercooler seems to work on the track. It provided 40-50˚ F of cooling of the air. Cruising on the highway, it doesn't seem to do much. Under those circumstances, air coming out of the turbo is 150-160˚ F. After the intercooler it is about 140˚. This is with ambient temperature around 80˚. In traffic, it becomes an inter-heater. Incoming air 150-160˚ and after the inter-heater 160-170˚. This is a Lindsey Racing stage 2. So are the turbo outlet temps of 150˚ normal when not under boost? Outlet temps don't rise much under boost. Seems strange to me.

I've thought about going E85 (brings its own cooling). But I wonder since the E85 cools things after the IAT sensor, how does that effect things? Not to mention I'd need another fuel pump. One 044 isn't enough for 500+ hp on E85.

I thought about a CO2 spray bar to cool the intercooler.

I've thought about a vented hood.

I wish that I had better sense of what is normal on a 3 liter with a GT35R. Oh, wait, that's not normal.

I guess I'm saying, help me. Anyone with a 3 liter any sense of your EGTs? Any any sense of your intercooler performance?
gruhsy is offline   Reply With Quote