Nope, too expensive/complicated for me to consider 10 24.39%
On the fence about it. 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-11-2009, 03:42 AM   #1
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Lizard will become famous soon enough
Talking NEW 32V camshaft sets. ***Update on pg 13***

Ok, I made mention of this on the other site. But it is time for the unvieling and real news!

First a little background.

I have been getting the leg work in to have BRAND NEW billet camshafts made for the 32V engines.
I wasn't fully ready to announce the news until this point as I wanted to get all the details worked out before announcing it.

These cams as stated will be NEW cams, they will not be welded, have smaller base circles etc. They will be new in every essence of the word!

They will be made with a slightly wider footprint for the ability to run much stiffer valve springs without causing any more real wear to the cams.

They will be able to be run in both S3 and S4 heads, though this will NEED to be specified when ordering them as the S4 will require a tiny bit more machining to be done.

The base circle will be the same as stock.

The LSA will be 114 deg,

We are still working on lifts and duration but for the diameter of the cams, and the size of the buckets etc. it appears as though around 440"-.437" lift is what we will be looking at and around 223/220 intake/exhaust for duration. These will be the largest cams for the heads. This will give us the best possible life out of the cams and not require STUPID valve spring pressures in order to keep up with almost a knife edge lobe, which would wear quickly.
If you think that these numbers are not enough please let me know ASAP and we will look much harder at what we can get away with safely for lift.

Now these cams will NOT be sold as blanks. There is the cam makers reputation and other issues which we simple do NOT wish to deal with.
If you want to buy the blanks I know that Mike Simmard has blank sets he is selling. When I spoke with him he said he is selling the blanks for $1800/set. But who knows what his price is now.

I am looking at doing 2 or 3 profiles for ALL the cams. So I do need the people who wish to buy these to get their input to me pronto!

Now the BIG thing that I know most are wanting to know. The price of the cams will be $1600 USD + shipping. That is for a SET (4 cams) finished and ready for installation. They will need NOTHING else to be done to them before the installation proceedure.

Now the other thing is the timeframe. We are looking at 4 months till these are ready to ship. Wish we could have them a little earlier to give more winter months for install. But this is the way it happens and will still leave us a couple months of winter to do the install.

Now there will ONLY be 25 sets made (100 cams). And locally we already have at least 3 sets spoken for with alot of other guys requesting to be put on the list for a set. I will not be taking ANY money until the cams are here, ready to be ground and shipped off. This means that I will have a fair chunk of cash into the project to get it going. If MORE than 25 sets are requested by the group, the order can be increased for a portion of time. But if the 25 sets are exceeded then I will have to kindly ask for a deposit to help cover the cost of the extra cams. I will state right now after saying that. If we go over the 25 mark and deposits are taken this will be NON refundable should you decide to back out. You can however sell your deposit off to someone else who wants a set. The reason for this is that I will not be making much money on this endevor and dont have a huge float to be able to pick up the slack for a few people dropping out on these.
However if something falls through with the cams then the money would be returned.

These cams will as well have a full warranty backed by the company that is doing this work for me. For those of you that wish to look them up and check their reputation (which I cannot find any tarnish). The company's name is Colt Cams.
There will be the option of having their Tri-Flow grind put onto the cams. But this will add cost to your set.

For those of you wishing to put deposits on sets now, or ordering 5+ sets we will work out a slightly better deal for you. (might consider a local group purchase).

Colin

Please feel free to ask any questions, but please keep it on topic.

Last edited by Lizard; 12-03-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizard For Your Post:
GlenL (09-11-2009)
Unread 09-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Mike Frye
Writer of wrongs

Mike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to behold
Garage

Hey Colin,

This is great news and it sounds like it's gonna be an awesome setup. I'm not in a position right now to take advantage of this but I do have a few newbie questions and I might be interested once I start getting annual raises and bonuses again.

These are brand new cams to be made in a limited set. It sounds like they're not stock cams though. I know the function of the cams but I don't know anything about the lift or duration specifically. It sounds like these would be something like what you might see advertised as 'competition' cams or 'racing' cams for some other cars. Is that right?

Is anyone using a set of cams with this same setup like a prototype or something?
What is the expected effect on performance?
Will any other mods be required to the engines these go in (you mentioned the valve springs) or are they just plug-and-play?
Mike Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Unfortunately, I'm a 2V guy, but I'm curious.

These would be drop-in compatable with the valve springs and pistons so you just change the cams? Are there other recommended mods that go with this?
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #4
928 GTS
928 Uber Alles

928 GTS is on a distinguished road

Is 440"-.437" max what stock valve springs can take? Its probably enough for most people.

I'll PM little later number we are looking at locally.

1992 928 GTS 5-speed
Oak Green Metallic 22L
Classic Gray MX

1992 928 GTS automatic
Amethyst Metallic 38A
Magenta PZ
928 GTS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 928 GTS For Your Post:
linderpat (09-15-2009)
Unread 09-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #5
928WorldWide
-TOP SPEED-
Reutterwerk
Supporter

928WorldWide will become famous soon enough

Go Colin!
928WorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frye View Post
These are brand new cams to be made in a limited set. It sounds like they're not stock cams though. I know the function of the cams but I don't know anything about the lift or duration specifically. It sounds like these would be something like what you might see advertised as 'competition' cams or 'racing' cams for some other cars. Is that right?

Is anyone using a set of cams with this same setup like a prototype or something?
What is the expected effect on performance?
Will any other mods be required to the engines these go in (you mentioned the valve springs) or are they just plug-and-play?
These will be able to be a step above GT cams, or right upto a much wilder "racing" style cam yes.

Your second question doesnt make a ton of sence. Lift and duration numbers can be modified to change what you want the engine to do. IE a turbo cam is different from a NA camshaft.

The effect on performance is going to be a nice jump as the stock cams are very mild (even the GT, as the exhaust is like a bottleneck). I had this company do a regrind on a fellows GT cams to what we will call a GT+ setup. Took it to the dyno yesterday and it put down 315 RWHP, the only thing that this car has is a RMB. There have been no other changes. After we did the run he took it home and put the Bosch hammer on it and it had a Knock sensor fault (they are new) so it is possible that wasnt there when the dyno run was done. The max cams will be similar to what Louie, and others who are seeing BIG power on the strokers are running (maybe a bit more agressive, but not much).

As to the mods required. That depends on the cam. The heavy lift/duration cams will want to have stiffer valve springs put into them. But the GT+ we are running is using stock springs and there doesnt seem to be a real problem. However Tuomov says he has run all the cams through a simulator and the stock springs he claims cannot even cope with the stock S4 cam.
The decision is envitibly yours, though stiffer springs would be recommended.
It is possible (though not fully recommended) to replace the springs without removing the head. But I will not go into how to do that as removing the head and inspecting the guides is strongly advised.
Unread 09-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 928 GTS View Post
Is 440"-.437" max what stock valve springs can take? Its probably enough for most people.

I'll PM little later number we are looking at locally.
I havent checked what the max compression on the stock spring is before coil stacking is achieved. But the lift of the cams isnt what determines the need for a stiffer spring (it does have some effect though). It is the nose profile of the camshaft. IE a cam with a rounded nose requires less spring as there is less of a drop off after peak lift.

For a stock springed engine I think a GT+ would be best, as it will give good driveability too. But I will be discussing this with the cam guy as well and see if we can come up with a good profile which doesnt require new springs. But still gives the most we can.
Unread 09-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker-pschorr View Post
Have you dropped a line to some of the 16V 944 tuners about this? The blank might be the same for those cars, could widen the market a bit.

If I had a 32V car to play with, I would be in for a set...... I do have a 16V 944S with an engine torn apart.....
Take your 944 cams to Todd's place and put them next to a set of cams I know he probably has laying around.

Though there is one BIG problem with that.
The problem comes in that they only use 2 cams. So I would have to have the sets for that car made seperately. IE I couldnt break 1 928 set to run 2 944s.
The other thing that needs to be checked is the lobe locations against the 928 cams. I have a feeling that they might be different. But if they are the same, then it should work.
Unread 09-11-2009, 01:36 PM   #9
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenL View Post
Unfortunately, I'm a 2V guy, but I'm curious.

These would be drop-in compatable with the valve springs and pistons so you just change the cams? Are there other recommended mods that go with this?
At the racing/wild end of the spectrum I think that you will need to have stiffer valve springs for sure. As to the valve cutouts, this is something that should be checked when building any engine, or replacing the valves springs etc.
However for the milder grinds such as the GT+, this will not be a problem. Though I would recommend more attention to cam adjustment (using Porken's tool).
Unread 09-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
hans14914
User

hans14914 is on a distinguished road

Colin,

Whats the story on the Tri-flow? Do they have any computer models of how it would apply to the 928 head? Does it seem to make sense for us 928 guys? If so, what kind of price premium does it have? I can see their logic for an NA motor, and they claim it helps turbos spool (so aiding the NA function of the engine again), but is it a technology that makes sense for us supercharged guys? Since SC cram air in at a constant rate, would it harm performance by impeding cylinder feeding, or would it help by increasing the pressure ratio of the SC?

Thanks,
Hans
hans14914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Check it out I could at 2 to one set for you if you really wanted and they would work for you.

The reason for 25 is demand. I am not making enough money to justify ordering a ton more and putting them on the shelf to get my money back later. 25 sets is the minimum order that we can do to make it a) cost effective, and b) worthwhile to do. As I stated though, if there is more than 25 spoken for (please contact me and tell me how many you want now!). Then more than 25 sets will be made.

Erik, you also have my email address, feel free to have those people contact me directly, or set up a local group buy and tell me how many you will take.

I have also let the racing group in on this. But for obvious reasons, economy, time, etc. Not many people will probably jump at them. We will make the 25 sets as stated. And will sell whatever is left over AFTERWARDS. BUT if they are not spoken for at the time of the group buy then the price will most likely go up.

I also would like to note that I have left some cushion room in on the price for the unexpected. Should the price in the end be better the final price will be adjusted. However I cannot see them going up at all.

Though I believe at this time that it looks like around 50% of them are spoken for.

Time frame is 4 months from this time. That is till they are ready to ship.
Unread 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
FB111
User

FB111 is on a distinguished road

Would the "race" cams be streetable in a 5.0 and would they pass emissions?
FB111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #13
928WorldWide
-TOP SPEED-
Reutterwerk
Supporter

928WorldWide will become famous soon enough

lol. Horsepower is boss.
928WorldWide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #14
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans14914 View Post
Colin,

Whats the story on the Tri-flow? Do they have any computer models of how it would apply to the 928 head? Does it seem to make sense for us 928 guys? If so, what kind of price premium does it have? I can see their logic for an NA motor, and they claim it helps turbos spool (so aiding the NA function of the engine again), but is it a technology that makes sense for us supercharged guys? Since SC cram air in at a constant rate, would it harm performance by impeding cylinder feeding, or would it help by increasing the pressure ratio of the SC?

Thanks,
Hans
Hans,
I am afraid I missed this when I went over it first!
However the tri flow will not impeed a SC performance and I would expect to see gains with it as well as it will help to maintain atomization in the chamber.

As to the price I will get back to you on Monday regarding that.
Unread 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
linderpat
Out here in the perimeter
Reutterwerk
Supporter

linderpat has a spectacular aura aboutlinderpat has a spectacular aura aboutlinderpat has a spectacular aura about

Holy Crap - BAN!!!!!

85 5spd 928 (guards red overtan)
05 6 spd 997 (slate gray over terra cotta)
928 Owners Club member
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote