Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 996 Forum

Unread 01-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
fbgh2o
Master of Disaster - at least this week...

fbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to behold
Garage
Default Time for tires

I know tires are like oil and very personal decisions. However, I need to get new tires for the car. Really I only need fronts (for some reason the PO only replaced one on the C4 - a big no no!), but I am wondering if I should replace the rears which have maybe a few thousand miles in them (Pirelli P-Zero Rosso)

I am currently thinking of Sumitomo HTR ZIII as I have had good success on my 951 with these and they are very high value for the price. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....odel=HTR+Z+III

Alternately, I am looking at Continental Extreme Contact DW as they look kind of interesting. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....remeContact+DW

'86 951 - Heidi
'05 Subaru Legacy 2.5 Limited - dd
'74.5 Triumph TR6 - Restoration project, but I won't take $50 for it!
Gone but not forgotten '99 996; '86 944
fbgh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Ray S
Ironman
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Ray S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to behold

Can't say I have tried either choice on my car.

However, I will say that the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are the finest street tire I have ever had on my 996. They are not cheap, but "greatness" rarely is....

'00 986 (Sold)
'02 996 C2 (Sold)
'08 997 Turbo aka "Silver Bullet"
Ray S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

The PS2s are great tires, but I'm leaning towards something a little easier on the wallet, like the Hankook Ventus V12. They're not perfect, but offer very respectable performance for half the price of the PS2. I don't track my car at all...maybe some day.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...mparison_tests

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
fbgh2o

fbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to beholdfbgh2o is a splendid one to behold
Garage

PS2s are great, but for the driving that I do, they are overkill and budget busters.

I find the Conti tread pattern kinda cool, which is the lamest reason to buy tires, but.....

It's kind of like dating a woman due to her chest size, not a good reason, but you just can't say no....

'86 951 - Heidi
Unread 01-31-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Dennis C
7,192' above sea level

Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold

FWIW, I've been happy with my Sumitomo HTR Z IIIs. No complaints after about 7,000 miles.

2014 911 Turbo S Cabriolet

Previous Porsches:
2008 911 Turbo Cabriolet
2004 Cayenne S
2002 911 Carrera 4S

Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dennis C For Your Post:
fbgh2o (01-31-2010)
Unread 02-01-2010, 10:36 AM   #6
PorscheDoc
Under Your Car

PorscheDoc is on a distinguished road
Garage

I haven't ever heard a complaint about sumitomos HTRZIII's from anyone who has used them in relation to a performance/cost standpoint. We run them on everything from 944's to 997's. For the money, they are really hard to beat IMHO.
DocWilenRacing
PorscheDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PorscheDoc For Your Post:
fbgh2o (02-01-2010)
Unread 02-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
fbgh2o

Garage

I think HTR ZIII win. Will order them later in Feb.

'86 951 - Heidi
Unread 02-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #8
Shark Attack
Great, great, Have your people call my people

Shark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

I had Kumho a few times now and they are cheap and you can tell. Just food for thought... I REALLY liked the coopers I had before I changed to these chinese pieces of crap

Disclaimer:
All posts are meant with the utmost respect.
Most posts by user “Shark Attack” are
meant to spark a giggle. You feel you may have been
offended. Please return the offending post and
re-read the post slowly with a light heart. If you
still fail to see the humor…
Well you are SOL

many crashes are caused by simply running into the ground,-Docmirror

99/996/911 Aero.

I also have a very strong respect for the 928.
Shark Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

I've read a little (actually, a lot) more about the Sumitomos and they sound pretty decent, especially for the price. I might try those later this year if I need new tires.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Attack View Post
I had Kumho a few times now and they are cheap and you can tell. Just food for thought... I REALLY liked the coopers I had before I changed to these chinese pieces of crap
I think that happened not too long ago. Last time I looked, Kumho were made in Korea. I'm hearing more and more reports of them being made in China. I was going to suggest the Kumho Ecsta XS and have been thinking about getting a set for my 'Bird.

Many of the tires we know and love are now being made in China too. Last time I was at the Discount Tire (when I still lived in IL) most of the Goodyear and BFGs that they had on the floor were made in China

I was going to pipe up about my bad experience with Sumitomo HTR Z tires that I had on my Formula, but I don't know if they can be compared to the HTR Z IIIs. I know I personally won't buy another set of Sumitomo tires.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #11
fbgh2o

Garage

Quote:
I was going to pipe up about my bad experience with Sumitomo HTR Z tires that I had on my Formula, but I don't know if they can be compared to the HTR Z IIIs. I know I personally won't buy another set of Sumitomo tires.
Kurt

Sumitomo is Dunlop (the way BFG is Michelin and General is Continental). I have a set of HTR ZIII on my 951 and they have been very good and at the price superb. I still think the tread pattern on the new Contis is wild, but for the price differential the Sumitomos will probably be the tires of choice.

'86 951 - Heidi
Unread 02-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbgh2o View Post
Kurt

Sumitomo is Dunlop (the way BFG is Michelin and General is Continental). I have a set of HTR ZIII on my 951 and they have been very good and at the price superb. I still think the tread pattern on the new Contis is wild, but for the price differential the Sumitomos will probably be the tires of choice.
It's Curt

I'm familiar with Sumitomo and Dunlop's relationship. The old HTR Zs are repops of an old Dunlop tire (or at least the tread pattern is really close). My bad experience was with the rubber compound. When the tires were new, they were great. 8 months later and I noticed they started feeling greasy. After 18 months, the tires were hard as a brick and started to crack. I thought maybe I had bought an old set, but the date code showed they were around 3 months old when I bought them. I got <2 years out of my set before they had to be replaced. They didn't wear out, they were cracking apart. I never raced on them and it was all street driving. And that was before I built the motor for that car too.

I ended up putting on a set of Yokohama A032R H compound tires and beat the snot out of them. They've been great, but unfortunately, have been long discontinued and the A048 doesn't come in my size. It's getting harder and harder to find matching tires in my stagger - 275/40-17 for the fronts, 315/35-17 for the rears.

I've been running Falken RT-615 on the 951 as my daily driver/autocross tires and I've been very happy with them. We used the RT-615 on the LeMons car last year too and only used one set of tires for the entire race. The guys are at LeMons this weekend (Southern Discomfort) and are on the RT-615s again. I wish they made them in a 315/35-17!
Unread 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
fbgh2o

Garage

Quote:
It's Curt
Oops! My sincerest apologies.

Quote:
Falken RT-615
I have thought about those for the tread pattern, but have heard that the wet performance is not as good as it could be.

'86 951 - Heidi
Unread 02-06-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
CurtP
Super User

No need to apologize - it happens all the time. I was just giving you grief

For the types of roads we have here and the amount of rain we get, they've been great. I'm actually surprised on how well they're wearing too, but I run a stock alignment.
Unread 02-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #15
Shark Attack
Great, great, Have your people call my people

Shark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of lightShark Attack is a glorious beacon of light
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
I think that happened not too long ago. Last time I looked, Kumho were made in Korea. I'm hearing more and more reports of them being made in China. I was going to suggest the Kumho Ecsta XS and have been thinking about getting a set for my 'Bird.

Many of the tires we know and love are now being made in China too. Last time I was at the Discount Tire (when I still lived in IL) most of the Goodyear and BFGs that they had on the floor were made in China

I repeating what I was told about where they are made. On my 928, going from the coops to the kumho.. Was night and day. The car would push and stopping distance was not near as good... Found both of these out on the same "night drive"

Disclaimer:
All posts are meant with the utmost respect.
Most posts by user “Shark Attack” are
meant to spark a giggle. You feel you may have been
offended. Please return the offending post and
re-read the post slowly with a light heart. If you
still fail to see the humor…
Well you are SOL

many crashes are caused by simply running into the ground,-Docmirror

99/996/911 Aero.

I also have a very strong respect for the 928.
Shark Attack is offline   Reply With Quote