Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 924/944/968 Forum

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #31
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Sweet. I'll have to tackle the cam tower oil leak soon. I'm not looking forward to it.
Well ya know.. while in there....

OR

Ask me about my other stuffs!
John Koa Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #32
ramius665
Resident Jester

ramius665 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koa Wood View Post
Wow, just going through some of my old posts... 4 months ago 85K.. now I am within spitting distance of 97K...

extent of maintenance I have had to do in 12K was replace 1 front wheel bearing, replace 1 fog light bulb, oil changes... and I have the antifreeze and brakefluid on hand to change those out.. other than that it has been get in, fuel up and drive!
Apparently you weren't doing enough preventative maintenance a few months ago...

ramius665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #33
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramius665 View Post
Apparently you weren't doing enough preventative maintenance a few months ago...
ummm... yeah.... something like that....

She ran like a champ today.. no issues...

and am just shy of 99,800

OR

Unread 02-15-2011, 08:50 PM   #34
ramius665
Resident Jester

Lol, the odometer in the 951 ticked over 89k while being towed back from Hershey in '08. Only slightly depressing.

Unread 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM   #35
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Lol, the odometer in the 951 ticked over 89k while being towed back from Hershey in '08. Only slightly depressing.
Why because it still reads 89?

OR

Unread 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #36
ramius665
Resident Jester

Pretty much. I've done about 250 miles since the rebuild. Going to bug the mechanic on Friday and see when I'm getting her back. Not that I'm going to get to drive her much in the next few months, looks like I'll be going to Arizona for a few months after I finish this gig in MD.

Unread 02-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #37
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Pretty much. I've done about 250 miles since the rebuild. Going to bug the mechanic on Friday and see when I'm getting her back. Not that I'm going to get to drive her much in the next few months, looks like I'll be going to Arizona for a few months after I finish this gig in MD.
ROAD TRIP!

They know you are a lifer... so enjoy the next 10 years of going all over creation.. or figure out a solid gig to remain local except when YOU want to go someplace!

OR

Unread 02-16-2011, 12:25 AM   #38
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Quote:
Well ya know.. while in there....
There's no WYIT this time around. Name it - it's already been inspected/repaired/rebuilt/replaced. That's why I'm particularly annoyed by the oil leak.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #39
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
There's no WYIT this time around. Name it - it's already been inspected/repaired/rebuilt/replaced. That's why I'm particularly annoyed by the oil leak.
Sooo, what do you think caused the leak?

OR

Unread 02-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #40
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

99,815 after picking up dinner tonight!

OR

Unread 02-17-2011, 10:06 AM   #41
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Soo, I have to goto Richmond again tonight, so with a little bit more driving around I should be nearing the 100K mark... I am trying to watch to make sure I get a picture of it! Just down and back will put me near 99950 or so...

OR

Unread 02-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #42
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Quote:
Sooo, what do you think caused the leak?
The gasket I used, I suppose. It appears to be leaking evenly across the entire length of the cam tower. I used a LR rubber coated steel core gasket and ARP 12-point bolts which were retorqued after a few heat cycles (around 500 miles, IIRC). The cam tower gasket was installed on the old engine (same cam tower and head) for about 12 hours. Lindsey claims it can be reused several times, but I'm having my doubts.
Unread 02-17-2011, 10:58 AM   #43
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
The gasket I used, I suppose. It appears to be leaking evenly across the entire length of the cam tower. I used a LR rubber coated steel core gasket and ARP 12-point bolts which were retorqued after a few heat cycles (around 500 miles, IIRC). The cam tower gasket was installed on the old engine (same cam tower and head) for about 12 hours. Lindsey claims it can be reused several times, but I'm having my doubts.
Well that just sucks.. I used a new stock paperish gasket, no leaks so far in almost 600 miles.... time will tell but it seems to be holding well!

Good luck!

I think I need to swap out 1 bolt, as it apears to be weaping coolant, other than that everything is doing well on the motor, really couldn't be happier, but that bolt will have to wait till tomorrow as my evening is packed tonight!

OH, and I am going to let the repair thread fall away, as I am confident the repairs are done for a while...

OR

Last edited by John Koa Wood; 02-17-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Unread 02-17-2011, 12:25 PM   #44
CurtP
Super User

I have two paper gaskets on hand. I'm tempted to do it tomorrow if I have time. I'm moving on Saturday, so I took tomorrow off to work on the car. The new Recaros may go in tomorrow too.
Unread 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #45
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
I have two paper gaskets on hand. I'm tempted to do it tomorrow if I have time. I'm moving on Saturday, so I took tomorrow off to work on the car. The new Recaros may go in tomorrow too.
Post pics!

OH, and when I installed my cam tower, I reused some hardware (inside the tower) to retain the fixed washers, but all the hardware on the outside is new!

OR