Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 964 Forum

Unread 04-20-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

PNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Default Brake Pad Question

I am replacing the pads in my 964 and was contemplating OEM in the rear and Pagids up front to save a couple of hundred bucks but improve stopping power. Can you mix and match these without problems and if so what color should I go with? I was thinking yellows based on the attached graphic but??? I assume more grip in front is better than the back?

http://www.paragon-products.com/Pagi...1203-pagid.htm

1993 964 Oak Green Metallic C2 Targa
Daily Drivers: 2005 Civic EX; 2008 Pilot VP
The Ultimate 964 Targa Thread
PNine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

Have you used race pads on the street in the past? They will not work as well when cold, will squeel when not really hot, and will wear your rotors more quickly. It can be difficult to get the race pads hot enough to work properly with normal street driving. If you use them, I would use them on all four wheels, as the differences between OEM and race pads, particularly PAGID Yellows (RS19 or RS29), will be exteme.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

PNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

I got very similar advice from TOS so I decided to stay OEM all the way around. I hope to do a DE or two this year but since most of my time is on the street it seems things won't be getting hot enough to benefit.

I appreciate the response, T

Unread 05-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNine64 View Post
I got very similar advice from TOS so I decided to stay OEM all the way around. I hope to do a DE or two this year but since most of my time is on the street it seems things won't be getting hot enough to benefit.

I appreciate the response, T
Travis, a number of the brake pad manufactures make a "high performance street pad", which will likely improve your street brakes and extend pad life, although they also cost more.

If you start doing DEs I would strongly suggest that you buy a set of track pads like PAGID Orange or Blacks, Hawk HT10s, etc. and change the pads before and after the track event. The 964s and 993s have some of the easiest pads to change quickly that you will find on Porsches.

Also be aware that as you increase the braking capability of your car you will reach the point where the street tires are the limiting factor and you will get into the ABS well before the brakes are fully utilized. The track pads will work best with R Compound track tires. I would be happy to help you down the slope of of track preparation....
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:40 PM   #5
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

Garage

Thank you. The way I left the brakes (OEM pads) should make for easy flipping of pads. I have heard good things about the pads you mentioned. My car is fairly stock. I know I don't want to make it a track car but I would like to make it a little more capable as I move along. To be honest, I'm sure the car is more capable than I am but I'd like to narrow the gap on that this year.

The tires are good but a couple years old. I would guess they were stickier when new. When I got my old Miata I changed out the wheels, tires, sways and got an aggressive alignment. I couldn't believe the difference. The 964s suspension was lowered with MO30s but I'd guess the shocks are original. I'm sure upgrading those would help the overall ride as those shocks can't be working that well at this point.

I appreciate your help, Travis

Last edited by PNine64; 05-14-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:38 PM   #6
Bull
Regulator

Any time Travis. Any questions send me a PM if you don't think they warrant posting here.
Unread 05-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

Garage

Thank You!! I appreciate the PM offer but figure we need to start getting some stuff posted out here...not matter how insignificant/silly. Although I'll reserve the right to PM if it's REALLY dumb.

Unread 05-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
Bull
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNine64 View Post
Thank You!! I appreciate the PM offer but figure we need to start getting some stuff posted out here...not matter how insignificant/silly. Although I'll reserve the right to PM if it's REALLY dumb.
I am a nationally recognized expert with insignificant/silly answers.