Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 986 & 987

Unread 04-12-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Ray S
Ironman
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Ray S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to behold
Default Hello and I'm listening...

Whatcha got?......

'00 986 (Sold)
'02 996 C2 (Sold)
'08 997 Turbo aka "Silver Bullet"
Ray S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2012, 11:02 PM   #2
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

I looked at a very clean silver 986S with 10k miles on it yesterday while passing through Decorah, IA. It had some basic but tasteful mods like the clear turn signals, exhaust, etc. Previous owner traded it on a new Ford GT500, which kind of made me cringe.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Ray S
Ironman
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Ray S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I looked at a very clean silver 986S with 10k miles on it yesterday while passing through Decorah, IA. It had some basic but tasteful mods like the clear turn signals, exhaust, etc. Previous owner traded it on a new Ford GT500, which kind of made me cringe.
Sometimes you need an axe rather than a scalpel I guess......

How much were they asking for the 986S?

'00 986 (Sold)
'02 996 C2 (Sold)
Unread 04-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #4
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray S View Post
Sometimes you need an axe rather than a scalpel I guess......

How much were they asking for the 986S?
They said $28k but admitted that a small town Ford dealer didn't know much about Porsches and that the car would probably be sold to a dealer in the Twin Cities.

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Unread 07-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #5
jpNcos
User

jpNcos will become famous soon enoughjpNcos will become famous soon enough

I've been thinking about a 986. I've owned a few Miatas and have been getting the itch for a little summer car to play with. Short list is 986 another Miata or a SLK. Just starting research on the 986 and SLK so any tips appreciated.
jpNcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:52 AM   #6
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpNcos View Post
I've been thinking about a 986. I've owned a few Miatas and have been getting the itch for a little summer car to play with. Short list is 986 another Miata or a SLK. Just starting research on the 986 and SLK so any tips appreciated.
I've been half-assed looking for another sports car for quite a while now. Basically I've narrowed it down to a 986, Lotus Elise, or NC Miata. The SLK wouldn't make the cut for me just because of the tranny (no manual, right?), and it seems like a lot of the 986s are beat all to hell or not taken care of. The Lotus is hard to find exactly how I want for a reasonable price, and the Miata is the safe/easy option.

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:34 PM   #7
jpNcos
User

I've had 3 NA Miata's and thought about looking at a NB. Any reason you are thinking NC over the older ones?

There is actually a manual SLK for sale near me. I wasn't sure they were out there but I plan to look a little harder after seeing this one http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3117032567.html

I'm not really interested in the SLK in the link but did get me thinking.

On the 986 I have never even sat in one so that is the first step.
Unread 07-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #8
Ray S
Ironman
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
What year SLK are you looking at? My father had a 1999 for a while. It was a fun car, but very anemic (handling and performance) compared to my Boxster.

'00 986 (Sold)
'02 996 C2 (Sold)
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Quote:
I've had 3 NA Miata's and thought about looking at a NB. Any reason you are thinking NC over the older ones?
As an NA owner for the last 15 years or so, I'm almost ashamed to say that I'm considering the NC because I'd like the heated seats and the power top. I have so little time for enjoying my cars now and am finding that I avoid driving the Miata because I don't feel like messing with the top or because it's not as comfortable as my other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray S View Post
What year SLK are you looking at? My father had a 1999 for a while. It was a fun car, but very anemic (handling and performance) compared to my Boxster.
I could see that. The only SLK I'd probably consider is the SLK55.

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
jpNcos
User

That makes sense that is part of my draw to the SLK. I don't think I will purchase another NA Miata. My first was purchased in 01 so I'm not to far behind in time served.

As to the year of SLK I haven't made it that far. Budget will probably determine that. This will be a summer only car so I'm only looking to spend 10k-15k purchase price and another 5k for anything that it might need being a used car.