Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 993 Forum

Unread 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Erik @ GBoxweb
User

Erik @ GBoxweb is on a distinguished road
Default The importance of cooling - Transaxle

So I thought as I am still pretty new to this forum, I would address something that we have been seeing with Porsche Transaxles, and ask if it makes sense to all of you.

Many people have modified their Porsche cars with chips, and exhaust systems, lightened flywheels, and stronger clutches. Some have regeared to take better advantage of these modifications, but how many people here have thought about their gearbox temps? How many people have ever checked to see where they are when it comes to the gearbox temp?

The 993 gearbox can be a bit sensitive when it comes to heat, as it uses a three piece 1st and 2nd gear synchronizer setup. This setup while offering a very nice and smooth shift under normal driving, can become damaged under hard driving. This is not only due to heat, but heat can certainly play a factor with all Porsche gearboxes.

So the simply solution here is to simply install a transaxle cooler. This is not a difficult solution, and can be done by the DIY. The only reason that I bring it up here is this is something that seems to get overlooked in the normal modifications made to Porsche cars.

I would be happy to help anyone with this, as well. We do these quite often for the racing crowd, so we have quite a bit of experience with this.

Happy to help, any way I can. Feel free to ask me any questions about this or anything else gearbox related.

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Erik @ GBoxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
John D.
Reutterwerk

Thanked 1,201 Times in 339 Posts
John D. has much to be proud ofJohn D. has much to be proud ofJohn D. has much to be proud ofJohn D. has much to be proud ofJohn D. has much to be proud ofJohn D. has much to be proud ofJohn D. has much to be proud ofJohn D. has much to be proud ofJohn D. has much to be proud of
Garage

Hi Erik!

First - welcome..!

Second - I have all the mods you mentioned in your post - so my question is this... I drive my 993 C4 year round on the street and run it pretty hard on the track. Sooo - how easy is it to install a cooler? Where does it "hook" into the transmission? I noticed that my tranny is hard to shift when cold (especially that danged 1st-2nd shift) and will a cooler help that (I suspect not - but...)..??

I guess that's more than one question - but - well - you know...

Any info would be great!

John
'68 911 L (<- Jen's...)
Don't Panic - it's just me, John D.(<- Jen's...) posting as me....
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
Erik @ GBoxweb
User

Erik @ GBoxweb is on a distinguished road

Hey there John,

Basically what we normally do is install AN fittings for a oil out and oil return, then use a Tilton Differential pump, and Setrab 19 row double pass oil cooler, for the cooling.

The cooler is about 12 inches x 6 inches x 2 inches. The only thing that we do not supply with this would be the oil lines, as installation area seem to vary from car to car.

Your 1st / 2nd shift is probably due to some synchronizer wear, but could also be due to the oil that you are using, as well. The 993 synchronizers are a bit finicky in the 1st and 2nd gear zones, this does seem to be better once the gearbox heats up and some of the internals swell a bit with the heat. I would not expect the cooler to help with that, but it will keep the gearbox at a consistent temp while on the track, as the opposite can happen too. Some times the synchros will actually swell too much and cause some issues with shifting, as the gears are made of a different metal and do not swell at the same rate.

I would recommend one of a couple of fluids for your gearbox. Swepco 210 is a good option, and you can never go wrong with the shell oil recommended by Porsche. I would recommend staying away from a full on synthetic, although I have heard from people that have never had an issues with them, so take that with a grain of salt, I guess.

Let me know if you have any other questions that I can help you with. I am always here to help.

Warmest Regards,

Erik Johnson
GBox Sales Manager
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
Erik @ GBoxweb is offline   Reply With Quote