Unread 11-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #31
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Lizard will become famous soon enough

Did you find the problem yet?
Bad regulator,
wiring problem,
missing/burnt out light in the cluster,
bad resistor on the back of the cluster???
1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUSE69 View Post
BTW, I finally fitted one of your quickshifts a couple of weeks ago.....
Have to say I'm not all that happy!! It's so damn good, that now every other car I drive feels like I'm stirring a huge bowl of porridge searching for gears

Seriously though.. I love it!!!
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:58 AM   #32
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Hi Colin,

Nope. Haven't looked at that at all. I'm happy, for now, that it charges most of the time. I've done a few things to the car and am going to address suspension and brakes first.
Unread 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #33
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Wyoming is awfully pretty. The kids were really impressed with The Tetons. The previous night we'd driven past the range but it was pitch dark. We stopped in the park to do a hike. We really needed the exercise with all the sitting in the car we'd been doing. Three hours up to Inspiration Point and back. (How many of those are there?) No potential animal attacks.

I'd like to stay longer and contemplate a return someday. I'd like to backpack into the mountains again as I did when a youth.

As we drive out of the park, towards Casper, something flashes over the windshield. A flicker of gold. I recognize it from previous experiences. It's the hood ornament. We turn back to look but it has bounced too far off the rod to be found. A real Porsche hood ornament is $100+ but an aftermarket is $40. No worries.

Heading East we encounter road construction, mountain style. They're repaving long stretches and doing bridge work. There's no realistic detour and people live and work along the road so the road isn't closed. At each segment we have to wait for our turn to follow the pilot vehicle through the construction. Really slow going. The car doesn't bottom or get stuck but it's close a number of times.

And we are...as usual...falling further off schedule.

Central Wyoming is surprisingly beautiful and empty. All the painted mesas and mountains. Makes driving seem to go quickly. That's good because the spaces are wide open.

We clear Casper and head towards our target destination of Newcastle. It's getting dark and I'ev had enough. Don't need another lonely road breakdown. About 9 I figure we'll call it a night. Midwest, WY looks as big a dot as any on the map. We cruise the town but there only open business is a gas station. I ask for a hotel and a young kid offers that there a motel in Edgerton, just up the road. The clerk says "They might have room. They're letting the hunters stay there. It's a man camp, mostly." And off we go.

The motel is just what you might expect. Two story drive-up classic motel. The note on the door says to call mary if no one is there so I do. The guy who answers sounds sleepy and Mary sounds moreso. She says she'll be there in 5 minutes so we wait. As promised she arrives, still in her pick PJs, and checks us in. She's 25-ish and calls me "hun" a lot. We get a serviceable room for $64 including the $10 special service fee. It's a fair deal.

We've had a good day. Saw some beautiful country, only lost 1 car part and are 400 miles closer to home.
Unread 11-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #34
linderpat
Out here in the perimeter
Reutterwerk
Supporter

linderpat has a spectacular aura aboutlinderpat has a spectacular aura aboutlinderpat has a spectacular aura about

Damn Glen - didn't know you were in town! I live in Bozeman, just up the road from YNP, a place I go to often. You probably drove right past where I live when going to the park. Glad you enjoyed this part of the trip. Would have liked to see your car.
Happy trails.

85 5spd 928 (guards red overtan)
05 6 spd 997 (slate gray over terra cotta)
928 Owners Club member
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #35
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

It's a good, long drive from Edgerton, WY to Minneapolis, MN. We're going past Mount Rushmore as well so the day starts early.

Eastern Wyoming looks like a old Western backdrop with giant coal mines for a modern touch. At breakfast I put on the power steering belt. The prior occupant having come loose and dropped off somewhere the day before.

I can't get the pump to move back enough so illustrate "dumb guy style" for my son: get it partially on the pulley and crank the engine. Might cut the belt but works like a charm. Only a few minutes of work so a good, hearty coal field breakfast awaits.

The car eats up the flat landscape pretty quickly and we get to the Black Hills in good time. The roads get very twisty in the parklands there so the power assist is much appreciated.

Mount Rushmore is at once both impressive and disappointing. I've been before but the kids share my impression: it's big but should be bigger. It's the off-season so not much going on. We snap a few pics, wonder who else should be up there, take the "Walk of Presidents" and get on our way.

It looks like it on the map and, sure enough, South Dakota is a lot of wide open space. Fairly dry. Fairly flat. Sunflowers and row crops. Good for running quickly in the "Zombie car." The daughter has dubbed it that as it should be dead but won't really die. I'll be fully reanimating it soon enough. Perhaps it's the Frankenstein car then.

South Dakota turns into Minnesota and the scenery gets more full. You can tell that going East the soil improves and there is more rainfall. Wheat gives way to corn. Lots of corn. The richer soil allows for a denser population of farms.

We're cruising along and looking for the turn from I90 to I35 and the last leg home. I've told the wife we'll be in by 11. Sounds like the trip is closing well when a new sound suddenly comes into the cabin. A rumbling. I try the other lane and running off-line. Changes a bit but not enough. Same over a bridge. Better check the tires.

Can't see in the dark, but touching the tires shows the left-rear is flat. Running on the rim flat. Fortunately we're only a mile or so to an exit. I nurse the car along the shoulder and pump the emergency flasher when cars approach. Seems to work but I later see it doesn't do anything at all.

Fairmont, Minnesota is a pleasant town from what I could see. The businesses have stretched down the main road to the interstate as in so many small towns. I nurse the car into a gas station and go in for help.

The nice ladies give me two phone numbers. One for Wal-Mart and one for Goodyear emergency service. Wal-Mart is closed so I call the emergency service number. Yep. They can have someone come fix it. It'll cost an extra $180 for emergency road-side service but I figure it's worth it. I'm waiting for the truck to arrive but get another call instead. They don't have the right size tire after all. Instead of innovating with an alternate size, I choose to pack it in. We get another overpriced Holiday Inn room and call it a night.

In the morning light I can see that the tire had been worn to almost no tread and a stripe of belt had come off. Odd, and fatal. I call the Wal-Mart. Sure enough, they've got 225/50/16 tires in stock. It's just on the other side of I90 so I roll the car over there. Slowly. Matched the service there.

They point out that the other side is almost bald and I relent on two tires. The kids are at the pool and having a good time. not a problem to extend the trip by a half day.

The final cruse home takes 2 and a half hours. Almost made it the previous evening.

So there it was. Out Tuesday and back Monday with a new 928. A couple of belts, a couple of tires and a hood ornament lost along the way, but it drove onto the driveway under its own power. And, even better, we had a good time together on our expedition.

Last edited by GlenL; 11-08-2011 at 07:21 PM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
Dean_Fuller (01-08-2013), Leon Speed (11-08-2011), Mike B (07-03-2013), ramius665 (03-10-2014), SD Porsche Fan (11-15-2012)
Unread 11-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #36
WyattsRide
User

WyattsRide will become famous soon enough

Excellent read! Thanks for sharing!

An adventure that your kids will tell their kids and so on. By the time your Great Great Great Grandchildren hear the stories you will be battling mutant humans, robbing fuel hoarders and rescuing your children from an evil slave master along the way on your trip home.
WyattsRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 05:21 PM   #37
Leon Speed
Shhhh, I'm analyzing

Leon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really nice
Garage

Great read, thanks for sharing.

Unread 11-08-2011, 07:12 PM   #38
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Lizard will become famous soon enough

Agreed, good read and glad it was fairly uneventful!
1981 928 5 speed
1987 928 5 speed
1987 928 auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUSE69 View Post
BTW, I finally fitted one of your quickshifts a couple of weeks ago.....
Have to say I'm not all that happy!! It's so damn good, that now every other car I drive feels like I'm stirring a huge bowl of porridge searching for gears

Seriously though.. I love it!!!
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2011, 07:51 PM   #39
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

I cant wait to see the pictures of you fixing her up

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #40
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Thanks guys. I'm sure the story will become more post-apocalyptic with the tellings.

I'm working through the repairs now. I'll take some pics and update with those stories.
Unread 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #41
mrmerlin
Petie3rd

mrmerlin will become famous soon enoughmrmerlin will become famous soon enough

Nice ride report Glen good luck with your new ride , road trips are always fun moreso with your kids to watch you bring them through more lifetime adventures, well done!
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:23 PM   #42
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmerlin View Post
Nice ride report Glen good luck with your new ride , road trips are always fun moreso with your kids to watch you bring them through more lifetime adventures, well done!
Thanks, Stan. Having the kids go clinched the deal for me.
Unread 12-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #43
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage
Default The First Project

I've finished the first round with the car. The goal was to address three obvious problems with the rear of the car: spent shocks, throttle-induced direction changes and a dragging brake.

The WYAIT list for this is good. What I did was:
- Install new shocks and heavier springs
- Swap in re-build calipers
- Replace brake hoses
- Rebuild parking brakes
- Re-pack and re-boot CV joints
- Loosen and exercise lower arm adjustments
- Freshen upper arm
- Replace rotors

Getting to the car I found the source of the handling problem right away. Someone had tried to replace the shocks, given up, and failed to put back a large washer on the pivot bolt. This allowed the cone washers to get free and the wheel could turn, maybe 5 degrees. Gas on? Go left. Brakes on? Go right. Scary.

They gave up because the pivot bolts (both sides) had corroded to the shocks. I tried to get them free but ended up using the Sawzall on them both. The new shocks, which came with the car, are good and I put those in with heavier springs. I'm not sure exactly what they are but they fit and have clearly bigger wire. I got them off eBay used years ago and think they may be first-generation Eibach replacements. There are matching fronts.

When I got the car one of the shocks wasn't attached at the top. You can see the angles ground onto the rod by driving it with the shock bouncing around inside the spring. At Ken's place we worked the rod back through the hat and got a nut on it. Somehow that held. The shocks themselves had no resistance left. The ride was really bouncy after a bump. The scary part was when the bumps got in sync with the bouncing. Whoa.

I was surprised to find the spring had eaten into the bolt for the inner-end of the upper arm. Curiously that was in backwards. The bolt should stick through the tranny cradle with a nut on the upper arm end. Nope. The nut on that side was on the back of the cradle. Wored for me, in the end, as I replaced the bolt. All I can guess is that the bolt was cut off at some point and a new one put on the easy way. You can't replace that bolt without dropping the cradle.

I had notice a torn boot in Washington and decided to replace them all. Ish. The CV job is really a mess. So much nasty grease. No real problems with that outside of getting the apart and back together. Had to hammer the inner race off the shaft using some cinder blocks and a 1/2" steel plate. Took me an hour to work through how to get them together. (Didn't seem that hard before.)

The small-looking boots that Lobro sells worked out just fine. Gotta use two hands to push the boot over the flange from the _inside_ of the flange. Typical project progress: first one a half hour, last one 2 minutes.

The parking brakes were a mess. The mechanism inside the car had the button frozen in. The adjusters were frozen, too. I got the button free and rebuilt the mechanisms. It all looked pretty rough and I'll probably regret not replacing the springs someday. Now it works, though. Really helpful in doing the half-shafts, too.

Frozen seems to be the word for the car. Neglected and abused and then sat. Careful work got the compression fittings for the brakes loose. Careful work plus some heat. Having twisted-off some of those I try very patiently to get them free.

I rebuilt some calipers I had on-hand. No problem there. Just hard to be sure the piston got past the seal without damaging it. I did front calipers at the same time and one of those seals was too small and I tore it. A new kit worked fine.

The pads on the dragging side were almost to the plates. I had hoped it would loosen up on the trip but it just kept clamping down as the pads wore down. Not sure what that means as far as a failure.

The nice part of the job was the number of parts I could find in the garage. I've been stocking up things for the 10 years I've had my first car. All the parts I needed were in the garage except for the brake seal kits and the CV joint kits. You might notice my garage looks a bit cluttered. That's not junk, it's "spares." Heck, that 931 right fender might come in handy some day!

Got it on the road today and it drove straight and true. Really pulls hard, too. Seems like a bit of air got into the front brakes and I'll get to that soon enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0366_small.jpg (172.5 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0367_small.jpg (92.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0370_small.jpg (155.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0368_small.jpg (97.0 KB, 232 views)
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #44
hilton
User

hilton is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenL View Post
The WYAIT list for this is good. What I did was:
- Install new shocks and heavier springs
- Swap in re-build calipers
- Replace brake hoses
- Rebuild parking brakes
- Re-pack and re-boot CV joints
- Loosen and exercise lower arm adjustments
- Freshen upper arm
- Replace rotors
<snip>
Got it on the road today and it drove straight and true. Really pulls hard, too. Seems like a bit of air got into the front brakes and I'll get to that soon enough.
Very nice first write-up

Have your kids driven it yet? After following it for so many miles
Unread 12-03-2011, 11:59 PM   #45
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilton View Post
Have your kids driven it yet? After following it for so many miles
My son did some driving stints on the way back. There was no support vehicle. He hasn't driven it since it was finished this morning. The daughter who went with is still 12.