Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > The Garage, Help & Introduction Forums > The Garage

Unread 06-28-2021, 07:09 PM   #16
Kurt R
User

Kurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the rough

It's with mixed feelings that I announce the kids now have a house, and I no longer have the Jetta.
The house they found is about a 25-30 minute commute to her job. It's further out that I hoped they would find, but it's a quiet neighborhood, no through streets, everything was built around 1970. Some have been kept up, some haven't.

On to the Jetta saga. This weekend I drove about 3 hours to test drive a Cayenne. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. They've had it at least 3 months, and wouldn't budge on price. They also didn't want to give me much for the Jetta. I had a number from Carmax, and they started out $3400 under that. They came up $1500, but that was as far as they would go. As I was walking out they offered another $500, but that's still $1400 under the Carmax offer, and the tax difference would be about $700, so they're still short. I didn't love it $700 worth.
Today I took the Jetta to the local VW dealer, and they came within $200 of the Carmax offer, so I took it. I don't have to arrange a trip to Madison or St Paul and find a way home.
I think I've decided I'm not cut out to drive a large vehicle with a automatic. I'll either find a beater to drive around town, or just drive the 944. I may swap the truck for something smaller as well. Maybe after we get things settled with the new house. Going to need to haul some ladders and maybe some furniture.
Kurt R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #17
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Congratulations to the kids. 30 minute commute isn't too bad.

Confused about the Jetta. Sold it, but now need a beater? Wasn't the Jetta the beater or was there too much wrong with it? My dealership offered me more than I paid for the Golf R, but they don't have anything I'm interested in to replace it. If they had the new R available, I'd probably take them up on it. By the time they get them, I'm sure the high prices they're offering will be gone. I still miss the R32, but I really got tired of working on it.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2021, 12:13 PM   #18
Kurt R
User

Kurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the rough

In my long saga of car ownership the Jetta was the beater, but somewhere along the line the beater became nicer than the nice car.

If you've got time, read on.
My first beater was purchased shortly after purchasing the E30 M3 in the early 90s. That car was way too nice to drive in the winter, so I started with a '83 Gti. This wasn't my first Gti, in fact I think it was my 3rd. I didn't keep that long, I think the next beater car was a Alfa Romeo Milano. That got totaled while sitting to make a left, and a college girl crashed into the back of it. Insurance gave me more than I paid for it. Next I think was a '91 Gli 16v, which led to a 97 Gti, and then a 97 Audi A4. That car I kept about 4 years, which was much longer than the previous beaters. It might have been the first car nicer than the M3. Not as powerful or fun to drive, but nicer. Then in late 2002 I traded the Audi for a repaired salvage 2002 Saab 9-3. I kept that car for 7 or 8 years. While I was waiting for the title to sort out on the Saab I drove a '90 Gti 16v. The Saab was eventually replaced by an Audi A3, then the 2011 Jetta with all the electrical issues. Somewhere in the ownership of the Audi or the first Jetta the M3 got sold. I had stopped driving it and just didn't need it. Of course that's when the values took off. The M3 was eventually replaced with a 944s2. The troublesome Jetta got traded for the 2017 Jetta in late 2016, my first new car. I had it 4 1/2 years, only had 29000 miles on it. Drove less than 6000 in the last 18 months, then put 1000 on it in the last week by visiting the new house and then checking out possible replacements for it. It was just too nice to sit in the driveway and not get driven. The used car market is up, so I sold. Already looking at replacements. When did VW/Audi figure out the 2.0T? 2012 or 2013? I hear lots of horror stories with earlier ones. The A3 would drink a quart of oil about every 1000 miles.
Unread 06-29-2021, 02:04 PM   #19
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

It was in my mind that you still had the 2011 and had fixed the electrical issues. I either missed or forgot you got the 2017.

The 2.0 was pretty well sorted by 2008 when they went to a timing chain, although the 2008-2013 did have some issues with the tensioner that was recalled. All the direct injection engines have carbon buildup issues, including the latest versions. Excessive oil consumption have randomly plagued the 2.0T engines, but you hear stories across all manufacturers.

I'd look for a Mk6 or Mk7 Golf GTI or TDI. I'd look for a VIN that starts with WVW. I know there are those who say the Mexico built VWs are just as good as the ones built in Germany, but that hasn't been my experience. I'm just not sure now is a good time to go car shopping with the elevated pricing.
Unread 06-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #20
Kurt R
User

Yeah, I can wait. Although there is a $7500 2013 Gti near the kids with a new timing chain, turbo, clutch and flywheel.

Right now the biggest (and I mean biggest) problem is the fridge they want doesn't fit through any door on the house. I'm not there, so I don't know if it would fit fine with the doors off or not, but my wife asked - "You were going to replace the doors, couldn't you just put in a bigger one? Sure, that's essentially the same project. Let me just get my door frame stretcher. I suppose I could pull out the old door and frame, get the fridge in the house, and then replace the door, trapping it forever.
Unread 06-29-2021, 04:01 PM   #21
CurtP
Super User

My Kitchenaid refrigerator will barely fit through normal sized doors with the doors and door brackets removed. I felt bad for the movers when they had to take it down two flights of stairs only to have to take it up a flight of stairs at the new place. They didn't complain, but I still felt guilty. Mine is a 30 cu ft.
Unread 07-03-2021, 09:54 PM   #22
Kurt R
User

I suggested to them to remove the doors. "That's too hard". They ended up ordering a 30" wide french door fridge. I think it's going to look weird, but it's not my fridge.

We're planning to visit next weekend. I have a list of things to look at / repair.
I looked at booking a room tonight, and prices are up, way up. It looks like the John Deere Classic is next weekend. Lots of hotels are sold out. One that we have stayed at is asking $195/night, usually they are around $90. But, they haven't adjusted their reward points rate, and I can buy enough points for a night for $88. So I ended up doing that, and both transactions went through, so hopefully we're good. This is the same hotel that screwed up our room the last time we were there, so I'm crossing my fingers. First they gave us a key that wouldn't open the door, then when I got the second key, it turns out someone was still in the room, or at least their stuff was. We ended up staying in a suite with two queen beds.
Unread 07-07-2021, 06:13 PM   #23
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

I spent a few years delivering appliances a few decades ago. It wasn't as grueling as you might think, and I got pretty good at giving everything a quick measure to figure out the best way to get stuff into a house.

We had to take the doors off refrigerators to reverse the swing about 30% of the time anyway, so it was just an expected part of most deliveries. Sometimes the house door would have to come off too.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2021, 12:00 PM   #24
Kurt R
User

Another successful weekend visit. Left after work Friday afternoon, got back home Sunday night. The wife says she's exhausted, I'm not sure what she did other than go curtain shopping with her daughter. Meanwhile, I
Unloaded 5 bookcases, 2 end tables and several garden tools at the new place.
Replaced a couple gutter brackets, then cleaned out the gutter on the back of the house (yuck).
Put the feet back on one side of the sectional.
Replaced broken pickets in the back fence. Hopefully the dogs won't get out now.
Crawled into the crawlspace to reset the float on the sump pump. Fixed the screen on the access point to the crawl space. Retrieved the cats that went in the crawlspace while the screen was out.
Took the dogs to get their nails trimmed.
Picked up a used electric dryer of FB Marketplace, hauled it home. (their old dryer was gas, and I'm not running a gas line and 110v for it, easier to buy a different dryer).
Hung curtains in the family room and master bedroom, and blinds in the master and baby's room (need different rod to hang the curtains in the baby's room, the brackets are too short and don't clear the blind)
Hung a new smoke/CO detector.
Installed a closet rod in the front closet (shelf, no rod, weird).
Checked out the mower, apparently it fell out of the u-haul on the way over. They hired moving helpers through u-haul, and they didn't get the back door of the truck fastened properly. OK except the wheel heights were all messed up, and there was almost no oil in it. That might not have been caused by the tumble.
Drove both ways.
And she's tired.

Didn't get up on the roof to remove the old satellite dish, or replace a couple of shingles, it rained all weekend. Didn't figure out the alarm, the default installer code was changed. Anyone know how to hack a Honeywell Lyric? I'd like them to use it to just alert an app on their phone, and not pay for monthly monitoring, but without the code to get into the system it looks like that isn't possible. Might just chuck it, the daughter wants to use a Ring doorbell and maybe they'll just get a Ring alarm system. Honeywell sensors seem to only work with Honeywell alarms, they're wireless, not wired and on their own oddball frequency.

The hotel was good, they're back to regular breakfast. I'm back to being a gold points member, lost that since we didn't go anywhere last year.
Unread 07-13-2021, 02:21 PM   #25
CurtP
Super User

Seems like you're doing a lot of the work. Shouldn't your job be spoiling the granddaughter and supervising the husband?
Unread 08-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #26
Kurt R
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Seems like you're doing a lot of the work. Shouldn't your job be spoiling the granddaughter and supervising the husband?
I should be teaching him, but he seems unwilling to learn. We were there again this weekend. The granddaughter can sit up by herself, and it won't be long before she is crawling.

I replaced three shingles I deemed sketchy when they first moved in, probably damaged by the Derecho last year. I also pulled the dish off the roof, but I left the mast, just in case they get old and want to start watching local TV.

We'll be back in 3 weeks so the wife and daughter can finally see Michael Buble, the concert was rescheduled twice, but so far has not been rescheduled again. I want to add some insulation to the attic before winter. There's not much up there, just whatever the put in 50 years ago. I'm not looking forward to it.
Unread 09-20-2021, 01:47 PM   #27
Kurt R
User

The insulation job is done. Add that to the list of projects I never want to do again. Scratchy eyes and a rough voice this morning, even though I was wearing PPE. My co-workers asked if I was sick.
Unread 09-20-2021, 02:26 PM   #28
CurtP
Super User

Blow in or batts? Not that it matters. Every time I get into the attic I come down all itchy, scratchy eyes and a smoker's cough. And I have flooring in most of my attic.

Hopefully you didn't do the insulation alone.
Unread 09-20-2021, 03:54 PM   #29
Kurt R
User

We did blown in. Low roof pitch and trusses, I wasn't sure I would be able to get batts in the right location. I was in the attic, the son-in-law was opening bags and feeding the hopper, the wife was doing communication between us. I had a corded remote so that I could shut down the machine, but if I passed out up there they might not have found me. I would have been buried in insulation.
Driving home last night, my hands started cramping up. Sometimes the whole hand, sometimes one finger. I think I was and maybe still am pretty dehydrated.
I still need to find a way to insulate the access door. I'm trying to watch craigslist, sometimes people will give away or sell cheap partial sheets of foam board.
Unread 09-20-2021, 10:25 PM   #30
Kurt R
User

A story for Ripley's Believe it or Not.
We left the insulation blower in the back of the pickup for the job. It's really heavy. So the son-in-law was cutting open the bags in the back of the truck. On the way home, every once in a while I'd hear a rattle when we went over a bump, but I thought it was something in the bed. Tonight I climbed up in the bed to sweep it out, and what's on the roof of the truck? The box cutter he was using to open the bags. The Silverado has 5 grooves in the roof, probably to make it stronger. It was sitting in one of the grooves. But I didn't drive slow on the way home, and we took the Beetown shortcut, County U which is up and down a lot of hills and has lots of tight corners. Maybe I need to wax the truck.