Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > The Garage, Help & Introduction Forums > The Garage

Unread 06-04-2018, 08:54 PM   #31
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

It scrolls on the Apple TV, but stops when you reach the top or bottom channel. I wish it was a continuous loop. I'm using DirecTV's app.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2018, 10:38 AM   #32
Kurt R
User

Kurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the rough

Last night I got an update on one of my Rokus, so I now have the cloud dvr and a better guide. The guide still loops, but now it only shows 4 channels at a time on the screen, it used to show 6, but there was no program description. I had to log in to the app again, which is a pain with the Roku remote. I think the last time I did it I used the phone app, which gives you a real keyboard.
Kurt R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2018, 10:09 PM   #33
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt R View Post
I think the last time I did it I used the phone app, which gives you a real keyboard.
Ha, I guess you're further into the 21st century than you realized if you've forgotten what a real keyboard is.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2018, 08:44 AM   #34
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Anyone having issues with the latest version of Plex server? Mine will quit working after a while and when I go into the server, the process is running, but the icon isn't in the taskbar. I don't know if it's being caused by Window's inability to maintain a reliable connection to a share drive, or if the software is just flaky.
Unread 06-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #35
CurtP
Super User

Found the issue. Using a network share over a mapped drive isn't reliable. Changing to a UNC path has all but fixed the problem. Initial connection after a reboot still has an issue, but manually going to the drive prior to starting Plex fixes it. I have a 4TB Samsung SSD on order for the server for local storage and I'll use something like SyncToy for backup. I'll manipulate the files on the Mac. I'll add stuff I want to keep to iTunes, and the short term programs will stay in Plex. I'm working on figuring out what other software I'll need and how to write scripts to automate it as much as possible.
Unread 06-24-2018, 04:40 PM   #36
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Wait, a 4TB SSD? Doesn't that cost more than a 996?!?

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Unread 06-25-2018, 10:48 AM   #37
Kurt R
User

Kurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Wait, a 4TB SSD? Doesn't that cost more than a 996?!?
I just added 4 8tb (7.68tb) drives at work to two storage arrays. These are enterprise grade, and I could buy two of them for the price of a clapped out 996.
Unread 07-05-2018, 12:28 PM   #38
Kurt R
User

A couple days ago I read that DirecTV Now will be going up by $5/month. Looks like that will happen on Aug 1st, although some sites said if you were billed late in the month you'd get the increase this month. My account renews on the 25th, and on their site it looks like they're only going to take $35 this month, so I guess we'll see. There a rumor that more channels are coming at the end of August, but I don't know if that will be for the "Live a Little" plan I have or if the larger plans will get them.

When they rolled out the new version I briefly had ABC, Fox and NBC locals, first from Green Bay and then from Milwaukee, but now they're gone. ABC was handy because the local station switched frequency at the end of May, and they've been running at low power until they get their antenna replaced, so I get lots of dropouts even though they're only 7 miles away. But it's summer and there's nothing on anyway.

I thought about moving to Hulu live next month when the DTN price goes up, since they will then be the same price, but it looks like Hulu doesn't have any of the Discovery channels.
Unread 07-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #39
CurtP
Super User

I'm not terribly upset by a $5/mo increase. I wish I signed up when they were offering lifetime Just Right package for $35/mo. Still the best deal out there, IMO, especially if you want premium movie channels. I'll probably drop down to the Go Big package and remove the 3rd stream. I wish it would go away from pre-packaged channels, and let me pick exactly what I wanted.

I haven't had very good luck with their online DVR service though. It stutters and skips and seems buggy. I realize it's in beta, but I thought it would at least be watchable. I've been installing the individual channel apps so I can use their on-demand instead. It works, but it get to the point of too many apps. I wish there was a PlayOn app for Apple TV. Not only does it let you record shows, but it centralizes all the individual channels and lets you stream on-demand content. I really am disappointed that PlayOn doesn't develop their software more.

4TB drive installed and made a significant improvement in performance. I'd much rather have a pair of them in my 2012 Mac mini server, but I'm hesitant to put that kind of money in that old of a machine when it's getting ready to hit Apple's vintage list.

Plex did roll out the OTA guide for Apple TV. It's about time!
Unread 07-23-2018, 03:54 PM   #40
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
4TB drive installed and made a significant improvement in performance. I'd much rather have a pair of them in my 2012 Mac mini server, but I'm hesitant to put that kind of money in that old of a machine when it's getting ready to hit Apple's vintage list.
I still use my late 2012 Mac Mini i7 every day, and I have a Crucial 512GB SSD collecting dust here that I've been debating installing. Replacing the existing drive looks easy enough, but moving the old drive to the second HD slot looks a lot more involved. I would want more than .5TB of storage, so I'd definitely want to use both drives, but not sure I feel like 'investing' in this machine.

FWIW, I was looking at what these 2012 Minis are worth and they still easily command $500-1000 on eBay depending on the options. I paid $7xx back when it was new. I wish they'd just release a new one and I'd upgrade, but obviously it's not yet an option.

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Unread 07-31-2018, 09:19 AM   #41
CurtP
Super User

Does anyone else have varying picture quality with their streaming services? At first I thought it was certain channels, but it appears to be random. I haven't been able to correlate it with any events. CBS All Access and Hulu seem to maintain better PQ, but I've seen some variance with them as well. Rebooting equipment (firewall, switches, servers, streaming devices) doesn't make a difference. No issues with streaming from the server, only from the internet.
Unread 08-01-2018, 10:23 PM   #42
Kurt R
User

I haven't really noticed it, but they could all be sending 480i and I might not notice. There are times that Directv now goes black with the spinning circle, but never lower resolution. It seems to happen more often around 4:00 = 5:00pm, and it could be the next node upstream is overloaded by the neighbors. I can't prove it though. It's definitely not anything in the house sucking the bandwidth. I did get really lousy results from the first PWC race of the season at St Petersburg on Youtube Live. The picture went to fuzzy blobs early, and I think when others gave up the picture got better. Hasn't happened since so I think they beefed up their side.

I am having a problem of my own. The local ABC station switched frequencies earlier this year, and since then their picture has terrible pixelization. Signal strength is strong, so I could be getting a reflected signal or something, haven't figured it out yet. I may try a different antenna.
Unread 08-14-2018, 07:55 PM   #43
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

I've always noticed a pretty drastic difference in quality between different stations/feeds. The bitrate matters more than the resolution up until a certain point, i.e. I'd much rather watch a decent 720p stream over a low bitrate 1080p stream.

'08 BMW M3 convertible
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Unread 08-31-2018, 10:31 AM   #44
Kurt R
User

I'm sticking with them for now. Even though they announced a price increase they're still charging me $35/month.

Regarding the streaming apps, Fox "Fixed the glitch" on Fox Sports Go. A couple weeks ago I tried watching the IMSA race from VIR, on broadcast TV the first hour was on FS1 and the last 2 hours were on FS2. I don't have FS2, so in the past I would switch to FSG. Not anymore, I can watch a bazillion recorded World Cup games, but I can't watch any live event that isn't on FS1.
Unread 10-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #45
CurtP
Super User

Finally got around to installing a preamp for the antenna. I wasn't sure what gain to get, so I got an adjustable one. Ended up needing a high gain even though I was already getting quite a few channels.

https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplif.../cm-7778hd.htm

Wish I had taken pictures of the coax cabling inside the cabinet - looks pretty good. I have a couple bags of Belden right angle compression fittings. Glad I bought them when I did - I think I paid $25/pkg last year. Wish I had bought more.

https://www.markertek.com/product/fs...ad-cable-25-pk