Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > The Garage, Help & Introduction Forums > The Garage

Unread 04-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #16
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Dangerous when I'm home sick. Waiting to hear back from Denny's - going to place an order today. Trying to convince myself not to order a TiVo.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2018, 04:08 PM   #17
Tim
i am a traitor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,153 Times in 796 Posts
Tim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud of

Which one are you going to buy from Dennys?
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2018, 04:33 PM   #18
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Ordered a HD Stacker antenna and a 36" J-mount. Going to connect it directly to the TV upstairs since I can use the same chase I used to run the optical HDMI cable. If that works out well, then it'll be time for a new TiVo. It will probably be the Roamio OTA that includes all-in service for a decent price ($400), but there's rumors of new hardware this fall. There's also a Bolt that does OTA, but it's $850 for the 1TB version once you factor in the lifetime service.
Unread 04-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #19
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt R View Post
I would think the Waterloo or Cedar Rapids stations would want to put up a repeater in Dubuque, like KTTC does here. They could probably put them all on the same tower.
I can't believe they've never done that, either. Some DBQ residents can get the Waterloo/CR/QC stations but I've never had much luck here by the bluffs.

It's always been a bad area for TV signals. We were one of the earliest cities to get a cable system because of it.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #20
Tim
i am a traitor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Tim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud ofTim has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Ordered a HD Stacker antenna and a 36" J-mount. Going to connect it directly to the TV upstairs since I can use the same chase I used to run the optical HDMI cable. If that works out well, then it'll be time for a new TiVo. It will probably be the Roamio OTA that includes all-in service for a decent price ($400), but there's rumors of new hardware this fall. There's also a Bolt that does OTA, but it's $850 for the 1TB version once you factor in the lifetime service.
Awesome, that thing is a monster. Please do report back to let me know how it works out. I still need to order something!
Unread 04-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #21
Kurt R
User

Kurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I can't believe they've never done that, either. Some DBQ residents can get the Waterloo/CR/QC stations but I've never had much luck here by the bluffs.

It's always been a bad area for TV signals. We were one of the earliest cities to get a cable system because of it.
Found this while randomly searching for something else -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
In the late 1970s, the movie F.I.S.T. was filmed in Dubuque. Sylvester Stallone starred in this film as a trucker who compromises his principles as he moves up through the labor union organization. Dubuque was chosen because without TV antennas it looked more like Cleveland of the 1930s than Cleveland did.
Kurt R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #22
CurtP
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Awesome, that thing is a monster. Please do report back to let me know how it works out. I still need to order something!
I just took it up another notch. Just ordered an antenna rotor off of ebay. Not necessarily for the ability to rotate the antenna either - I just wanted the controller for the themed room. It's supposed to be NOS, so I'm hoping it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6ed8c0af2a0f22c9b835e0fd3089e28e.jpg (89.4 KB, 1 views)
Unread 04-17-2018, 03:38 PM   #23
Tim
i am a traitor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
I just took it up another notch. Just ordered an antenna rotor off of ebay. Not necessarily for the ability to rotate the antenna either - I just wanted the controller for the themed room. It's supposed to be NOS, so I'm hoping it works.
Boy does that bring back memories!
Unread 04-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #24
Kurt R
User

Kurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the roughKurt R is a jewel in the rough

That's cheating. Ours only had clockwise - counterclockwise buttons, and you had to hold one or the other until it rotated to where you wanted it.
Unread 04-19-2018, 12:50 PM   #25
Jake
User and abuser
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,826 Times in 1,377 Posts
Jake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond reputeJake has a reputation beyond repute
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Jake Send a message via Skype™ to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt R View Post
Found this while randomly searching for something else -
Actually, that reminds me that they did install repeaters decades ago in Dubuque for a lot of the OTA stations, but I think they were only used to feed the new cable system.

'99 Porsche 911 Carrera 4
'08 BMW M3 convertible
'19 Ford F-150 Raptor SuperCrew
'95 Mazda Miata M-edition
'15 Ford Explorer XLT
Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2018, 10:22 PM   #26
murfysflaw
Super User

Thanked 1,064 Times in 750 Posts
murfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud ofmurfysflaw has much to be proud of

We tried to cut the cord last year, but it just didn't work out well. We tried it with Sling and didn't care for their service. It seemed clunky and overly complicated, so I was afraid I'd end up being called to "fix" the TV whenver someone wanted to watch something.

We did move from Uverse to Xfinity, but to be honest, I hate them both. Uverse just had difficulty keeping our service working and they never could fix it. No issues at all with Xfinity as of yet.

We'll likely go completely streaming in the next year or so. Interested to keep reading how others are doing and what their setups are.

Gone, but not forgotten:
95 C4 Cab - Guards/Cashmere, M030/Bilstiens, HIDs, LPMM, MY02s
84 911 Targa - Black/Black
01 TJ - Anniversary Edition, 2" lift, 33" BFG ATKOs, Rhino-lined tub
murfysflaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to murfysflaw For Your Post:
carlege (05-29-2018)
Unread 05-31-2018, 06:46 AM   #27
CurtP
Super User

Hardware:
Software:
Summary:
My setup relies heavily on network resources. I do not use wireless for any of the base hardware, including the Apple TVs. Plex runs on the PC and provides access and DVR functions for the OTA tuner. PlayOn is for DVR functionality on the streaming services, including DirecTV Now. FileBot takes the PlayOn recordings and renames/moves them to a directory structure that Plex can understand. Some devices support PlayOn natively, but Apple TV currently isn't one of them, which is why I'm using FileBot.
Unread 05-31-2018, 10:43 AM   #28
Kurt R
User

That's quite the setup.
One thing I'd like to record is Pirelli World Challenge races that are shown on Youtube Live, but they seldom list the URL for the stream until just before it happens, so I'm not sure how you'd be able to set the recording.

Let me know if you see buffering issues with DirecTVNow. Sometimes it buffers a lot for me, even when I'm the only one home and it's the only app using the internet connection. I don't have the same issue with a network app like FoxNow or NBC, or even Netflix, but I have issues with DirecTVNow.
Unread 06-01-2018, 09:01 PM   #29
CurtP
Super User

No buffering issues, but every once in a while the screen goes black - no video or audio. I have to change channels or reselect the channel from the guide. I think it's an issue with the app though. I don't like that the channel guide doesn't loop - it's a hard stop when I reach the top or bottom. I'm not a huge fan of the Apple TV controls either. I've been meaning to check the firewall to see what kind of bandwidth it's using. My internet is 100/20 and it tests right at those limits.
Unread 06-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #30
Kurt R
User

The DirecTV Now channel guide scrolls on the Roku. Are you using a different app for the guide?