Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 924/944/968 Forum

Unread 01-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #1
ramius665
Resident Jester

ramius665 is on a distinguished road
Default Door Handle Options

Besides the obvious 968 door handle upgrade, what other options are available for the 944? A few years ago Jager Engineering offered a fairly interesting upgrade but they have since stopped offering it here: http://www.jageng.com/garage9/produc...roducts_id=148. IIRC they are a modified version of the VW MK 4 door handles. Has anyone gone this route or anything else interesting?

I'm not entirely sold on doing a door handle modification, but I'm also not married to keeping the "script" handles either.

ramius665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #2
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Martini the script handles and call it done!

Hey it worked on the interior!

OH, another idea.. get the PORSCHE machined off the handles, and either your and the wife's names, or MARTINI cut into them!

OR

Ask me about my other stuffs!
John Koa Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #3
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

This is a familiar discussion

I was just revisiting this again the other night. My car came with 968 handles, but in all honesty, I don't care for them. I'm not a huge fan of the script handles either. From what I've found, it looks like Hella made the door handles - at least that's what I'm finding when I find replacements.

I think the Mk III Golf/Jetta door handles are still available. I wonder if they can be made to work. I'm tempted to order a set to find out - they're under $35/ea.

What other VAG cars out there used similar handles? I didn't have much luck looking at Audi.
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Curt, apart from the lettering, the factory 944 handles are almost indistinguishable from the ones which were on my German-made '84 Jetta. Same design, material, finish and failure point, as nearly as I can tell. I offer this because I'm almost certain that someone with an A1 Golf or Jetta has swapped the handles at some point, and what worked for them should work on the 944.
pontifex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #5
ramius665
Resident Jester

I'm interested in trying to do something similar to the Jager Engineering handles because I like the idea of the "pull" style handles. I like the idea of using the VW MK IV because they're more angular than the 968 handles. Just curious if anyone had explored what the options are. Based on the pictures of the MK IV handles they appear that they would fit in the doors, but the real question is how will the hardware work. I'm going to source a pair and start checking it out. Any help is always appreciated!

Unread 01-14-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Here's a thread on RL with a car with Boxster mirrors and handles that many of us likely saw: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ster-mods.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EBAY 944S2 (Large).jpg (131.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg EBAY 944S21 (Large).jpg (61.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg EBAY 944S22 (Large).jpg (59.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg EBAY 944S23 (Large).jpg (61.1 KB, 1 views)
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:33 PM   #7
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontifex4 View Post
Here's a thread on RL with a car with Boxster mirrors and handles that many of us likely saw: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ster-mods.html
Just my crazy ass oppinion, take it or leave it...

This car has ALWAYS bothered me... IMHO there is a right way and wrong way to update / modernize / customize a car.. and this car has always screamed CLASH to me... too much in some areas, while others are completely untouched...

and then the wheels... these wheels look good, but then to introduce negative camber front and rear to tuck them into the fender, rather than modify the fender to properly align the tires... is just wrong...

I am a big defender of function before form, but you CAN have both.. it just takes time, skill, and a little money.. ok sometimes it takes a bunch of money.. but to shave the doors of the original mirrors and handles and install what is there shows some attention to detail for body mods, then there is the blending or "frenching" of the rockers into the body... nicely done... why not finish the body mods in the fenders to allow proper alignment of the tires?

this car is nicely done in some areas, and poorly in others.. it has always screamed half assed to me... but I am sure to someone it is the bomb...

OR

Unread 01-18-2011, 11:36 PM   #8
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

But then I dont care for the 968 aero mirrors on a 944 / 951... some who ask I tell why...

OR

Unread 01-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #9
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

What I don't like about the Boxster44 is that its mirrors poke up too much at the ends, and its door handles end up making it look like an RX-7.

I agree on the wheels. I was surprised they were able to get that much negative camber at the rear, actually.
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #10
ramius665
Resident Jester

When I first showed this pic to my wife, she thought the mirrors and door handles were from a Toyota. And upon further review, I can completely see why.

SOooooo...

I'm not//not going for that kind of look. I like the 944's boxy mirrors and door handles, I'd just like to go with a door handle that's a "pull" style. Need to scour the junkyards this weekend.

Unread 01-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #11
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koa Wood View Post
this car is nicely done in some areas, and poorly in others.. it has always screamed half assed to me...
Just about every car I look at looks half-assed to me. I see guys blow a wad of money in just one area, but not spend a dime anywhere else.

And some guys just don't know when to quit. You can go from really nice to OMGWTFBBQ in about two seconds. The car that inspired my interior, for example, is way overdone (IMO). Stick-on carbon fiber overlays, instrument panel chrome rings and aluminum knob covers just distract from an otherwise incredible interior. And if you're going to continuously add accessories, please stick to a theme - if the trim rings in your instrument cluster are polished aluminum, then make the other accent pieces polished too. Nothing distracts me more than inattention to detail! But more time than not, less=more.

I need my meds...
Unread 01-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #12
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

I always hate it when modifications to a car look flimsy (or are flimsy). Lower body work is the real killer for me on modified cars. At least the Boxster44 seems to have everything attached well. The fiberglass front fenders on my car drive me CRAZY. As soon as I can find a nice set of steel ones, they're off of there.

I have 968 handles and mirrors in my 'eventually' pile of parts for when I finish my garage. I bought them as much because both mirrors and one door handle on my current car are damaged as because I liked the style. We'll see.
Unread 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #13
ramius665
Resident Jester

Managed to find a copy of the Jager Engineering instructions for assembly/install of the handles. Ordered a set of VW Mk2 "pull" style handles. Based on the limited information I've been able to find, it appears that Jager just took some cheap HK VW handles and modified them for duty on the 944. I should know when I get the handles in the mail if this project is actually going to work.

Unread 01-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #14
ramius665
Resident Jester

Oh, and if anyone can find ANY pics of the Jager handles (specifically the "back" or "inside' portion) I would forever appreciate it. Their website just has a tiny jpg that isn't much help.

Unread 01-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #15
CurtP
Super User

Did you get the Hella handles? New or used? I wouldn't mind trying to modify a set myself.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.