Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 993 Forum

Unread 05-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #16
Blupurr
Super User

Blupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the rough

Yes, I have a basket handle. Do you still need a pic?
Blupurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:01 PM   #17
rsr91128
User

rsr91128 is on a distinguished road
Garage

Hey Bonni,

Great job on the DIY. Sorry you didn't get any quick responses but I am really glad people are posting here again, so here are a few answers that may help in the future.

All 95's are non vr (except 1 or 2 added after by ambitious owners). If your intake tubes are black plastic it's a non-vr, aluminum = vario ram.

For future reference the rubber boot part # changeover, IMO, happened when Porsche added the fresh air in reverse intake sometime in 1995. This is a square grid on the left side of the engine bay next to the heater fan. If the car has the air intake it uses the 993 part #, if no intake it uses the 964 part #.

Lastly if you want to add an RS style fan bypass (vr or not) you need the 964 part #.

1st pic shows early 95 with 964 boot w/o fresh air intake, second is from pcar workshop and shows the square grid in the left corner.

Hope this helps
Attached Images
File Type: jpg early 95.jpg (111.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg vr.jpg (157.6 KB, 0 views)
rsr91128 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rsr91128 For Your Post:
Blupurr (05-20-2010)
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:10 PM   #18
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupurr View Post
Yes, I have a basket handle. Do you still need a pic?
The basket handle indicates that you have an earlier '95 993, as the factory got rid of the handle in late '95. A number of track rats in our area have converted '95s to Varioram, usually obtaining the system from owners of '96 - '98 993s that have added supercharging to their 993s.

A picture would still be helpful so that we can see if there have been modifications by a PO, and if so, what they did.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull For Your Post:
Blupurr (05-20-2010)
Unread 05-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #19
Blupurr
Super User

Blupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the rough

Looking at RSR's pics, I would have to presume I have a non-VR. I would be happy to retrofit if it is worth it. Tell me more, boys? THANKS!!! I love Blupurr, but I am sure he would love an extra kick. I will take a pic in a bit. Gotta have dinner yet.

THANKS, Bob and RSR . . . I LOVE learning. Thanks SO MUCH for helping me. I owe ya both BIG.
Unread 05-20-2010, 10:25 PM   #20
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

Generally not seen to be worth the expense of the retro-fit. The three phase intake system was rated at 12 more hp than your car, and provided a broader tq curve (the real advantage).
The Following User Says Thank You to Bull For Your Post:
Blupurr (05-21-2010)
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #21
Blupurr
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull View Post
Generally not seen to be worth the expense of the retro-fit. The three phase intake system was rated at 12 more hp than your car, and provided a broader tq curve (the real advantage).
Only 12? Nah. I ain't racing this one. I don't need to do anything but show my mad drover SKILLZ. Years of Spec Miata against lotsa cheaters taught me how to get along fine.
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #22
Blupurr
Super User

Tell you what, Bob . . . in the MORNING I will shoot off the dust, etc., and put up a pic of my BEAUTIFUL engine bay. Just 'cuz. I SO appreciate every little bit of help that all of you have provided. Yeah, I've worked on cars before; but thanks to you all, my first Porsche DIY was far less scary than I thought it would be. HUGE HUGSSSSSS!!!!
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
Bull
Regulator

No rush for a picture, and no need at all if you are busy. All indications are that you have a normal '95 993, and no Varioram. I just like to be certain because after 40+ years of Porsche ownership I have learned that making "definitive" statements about 15 YO cars with multiple owners can bite you.

BTW, my thoughts and experiences with Varioram are that if you have it great; if you don't have it, meh.
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #24
Blupurr
Super User

I'm confused, because I DO have a fresh air duct. That's it . . . I'm off to take a quick picture. Back in a few with the results.
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #25
Blupurr
Super User

Okay . . . here it is . . . the air duct is missing because I am waiting on the correct one still (due in this morning sometime). I will blow all the dust out of there with the compressor when it goes on, so no griping about my dirty engine bay.

Click the image to open in full size.

Also, my air duct is the 993 . . . one. I think this means I do have varioram??? Lol. Don't know why this is bothering me, but like Bob said . . . know your car before you go citing data on it.
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #26
rsr91128
User

rsr91128 is on a distinguished road
Garage

Early 993's did not have the fresh air intake on the blower housing. At some point in mid 95 they figured out that if you slowly back up with the heater on full, exhaust fumes would enter the vent system, so they added the fresh air intake, when you put your car in reverse a solenoid moves a flap to draw in fresh air from above the engine instead of through the fan housing. Personally this seems kind of counter-productive as it is only a little higher and at parking lot speeds the spoiler is not deployed to block the exhaust so what's the difference? When the fresh air intake was added that seemed to make the change to the 993 part # rubber boot.

As for vario-ram vs. non here is my basic understanding of the systems.

If you look at your intake you will see 2 black intake tubes right in front of the fan housing, this is a twin resonance induction system (not vario-ram) a flap opens and closes at different engine speeds to change the intake air velocity and pressure.

On the vario-ram you will see 2 complete sets of intake runners that are different lengths made out of aluminum. As the engine speed changes it opens and closes the different intake runners making the intake air travel further for low engine speed (more torque) and a shorter distance for high rpm (better for HP).

So your car is a non-varioram, but don't sweat it, you can tell everyone about your "Dual Resonance Induction" and the massive power gains because of it (as long as it is working). To test it, have someone turn the key on while you are listening at the engine bay, you will hear a click in that tube (that is the flap moving) the engine has to have vacuum for this to work so don't try it if the car has been sitting for an extended period.

As for adding VR, unless you had all the parts and alot of ambition I wouldn't do it. It is eaisier to remove weight for a performance advantage.

As for the fresh air intake vs. none I got rid of it altogether

rsr91128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #27
Blupurr
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr91128 View Post

As for the fresh air intake vs. none I got rid of it altogether
Woah. Where'd you get the tube? That sure makes changing spark plugs a ton easier, to say the least.
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #28
NC TRACKRAT
User

NC TRACKRAT is on a distinguished road

There are a number of differences in ancilliary parts for the engine in the '95 model year, depending on early, mid- and late production. Sincerely, would really like you to verify a factory VARIORAM '95. Do you have the window sticker or a Letter of Authenticity to check Engine Number on the case?
NC TRACKRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:37 PM   #29
Blupurr
Super User

NC . . . I think rsr pretty much established that I do NOT have the varioram. It's no big deal, I was just curious. I could have sworn somebody (don't remember who now) told me it was a VR engine, which is why all my questions. But it was still fun learning about all the differences, etc..
Unread 05-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #30
Bull
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupurr View Post
Okay . . . here it is . . . the air duct is missing because I am waiting on the correct one still (due in this morning sometime). I will blow all the dust out of there with the compressor when it goes on, so no griping about my dirty engine bay.

Also, my air duct is the 993 . . . one. I think this means I do have varioram??? Lol. Don't know why this is bothering me, but like Bob said . . . know your car before you go citing data on it.
OK, thanks. That shows that you have the normal '95 993 engine...no Varioram. As I said, I just wanted to make certain after 15 years and multiple owners that you didn't have a VR conversion, engine swap, etc. going on.