Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 928 Forum

Unread 11-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #76
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

So soften the tar and then force it out. Seems like a plan. The windshield had a long L-shaped crack running from the side to almost the mirror but probably would have held together. I could have vacuumed anyways.
Unread 11-18-2013, 03:29 AM   #77
fogey1
User

fogey1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenL View Post
... I purchased a tool to cut the glue with a "L" shaped blade off eBay. $7 so what can go wrong? The box said "Harbor Freight" and, sure enough, the blade broke almost immediately. Plan B was to get a long Sawzall blade and cut the glue from the inside but that proved unwieldy. I also found that my attempts cut into the metal frame....
The tool I've seen a glass guy use is a sort of piano wire garrotte. One end of the wire gets pushed through the bead and reattached to the handle. Then the wire is pulled around the windshield by the handles, cutting the bead. Sounds weird but worked a treat.
fogey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #78
69gaugeman
User

69gaugeman will become famous soon enough69gaugeman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogey1 View Post
The tool I've seen a glass guy use is a sort of piano wire garrotte. One end of the wire gets pushed through the bead and reattached to the handle. Then the wire is pulled around the windshield by the handles, cutting the bead. Sounds weird but worked a treat.
I have seen this as well. Haven't tried it myself though.
69gaugeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:58 PM   #79
midlman
928 Addict

midlman will become famous soon enough

We've tried that piano wire (and zip tie) method and the windshield always cracks. Best one we saw was what the windshield guy at Sharktoberfest used. He mounted a reciprocating saw with a large flat metal blade spatula (about 3 inches wide) and coated it with liquid soap...and shoved it under the glass from the inside..and started it up..it sort of "cut" the butyl bead... (soap kept it from resealing)...all the way round and then pushed the window out...

Any pressure from the inside usually cracks the glass...this method just cuts in and out...sliding under the glass...

"With the 928, Porsche built a lightsaber, only to discover that people still liked their switchblades."
midlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #80
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlman View Post
He mounted a reciprocating saw with a large flat metal blade spatula
That sounds good. Not on the wall at Home Despot, unfortunately.
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #81
fogey1
User

fogey1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
That sounds good. Not on the wall at Home Despot, unfortunately.
Actually, you made me think of multitools ...

http://www.homedepot.com/s/multi%2520tool?NCNI-5

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalog...lt?q=multitool
fogey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fogey1 For Your Post:
GlenL (11-26-2013)
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #82
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fogey1 View Post
Actually, you made me think of multitools ...
I thought about that. It'd be a good addition to my tool weaponry. Hanging on the wall at Home Despot, too, I'll wager.
Unread 12-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #83
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

The clutch felt a little funny a week ago. It's been funny since I got the car, actually, but this was extra funny. The pedal was getting stiff about half-way down and not going farther. The clutch was releasing so could drive it.

This means it's time to try to fix it, do some WYAIT fixes and put in some cool parts! The list was like this:

New clutch slave
New black hose for clutch
Replace the starter
New polyurethane swaybar bushings
Heim joint swaybar drop links
Bleed the brakes

The work all went pretty well. Most of the time was spent replacing the clutch slave and the starter. Removing the starter is always a pain. If you've done it on a 5-speed you know the hard line to the clutch slave interferes with access to one bolt for the starter. This time I disconnected the hard line to the clutch slave, removed the clutch slave from the clutch cover, and then removed the clutch cover with the starter still attached. Installation was just reverse of that.

Looking into the clutch cover (aka lower bellhousing cover) I spotted a small bolt. That was one that holds the pilot bearing guide tube in. It went back in and there looked to be no problems there. The clutch discs, from what I could see, looked OK.

Bleeding the clutch went well. I did the main bleeding by pumping the rod on the clutch. I'd force it back and pop open the bleeder then close the bleeder and let the rod extend out. Helps to point the bleeder up a bit. I pump-bled it from the pedal later but o air seemed to come out. Feels nice and firm.

I like the new poly bushings. It's a better solution than the generic bushings commonly used and that I have on my other 928. The blue poly bushings are almost exactly the same shape as the stock bushings and mount up perfectly. These are available on eBay.

The drop links are put together from bits I got on McMaster-Carr. The mounting bolts are 12mm. The spherical rod ends (aka Heim joint) then also have a 12mm threaded hole. Some 12mm threaded bar stock cut to length and it's done.

How is all that related to an odd clutch? Well, I had the slave and will be replacing all the rubber hoses so it seemed like a good step in resolving a problem. The rest was just convenient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00008.jpg (130.8 KB, 191 views)
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:40 PM   #84
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Picture, in your mind, the above picture with two jam nuts on the threaded rod. Actually, regular nuts were used. The problem being that Porsche uses 1.5mm and 1.25mm pitch M12 bolts so I had no 1.75mm nuts handy. After a short period of contemplation, I got a bunch and fixed what might not have been a problem.

Since it was the holidays, I placed a good-sized order of parts (mostly used) from my friends at 928 International. I'll be working those in over the next few months and trying to get the electrics right.

Had the car out for a warm-up run today. It's 42F in Minneapolis as I write this. That's positively sweltering for the end of December. It'll be near 0F or below for the next three days so seemed like a good day for a drive.

Things worked fairly well. I even found the AC switching vents a bit and all fan speeds were working. There's something odd with the clutch as it didn't seem to be opening well. Maybe the discs aren't free on the intermediate shaft. Sometimes ground hard into gear and sometimes worked fine. I'll get to that after dropping the whole drivetrain from engine to tranny sometime. Yeah, sometime when the forecast includes 70s. The unheated garage is less appealing than it used to be.

Last edited by GlenL; 12-28-2013 at 06:58 PM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 09:37 PM   #85
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

Quote:
Picture, in your mind, the above picture with two jam nuts on the threaded rod. Actually, regular nuts were used. The problem being that Porsche uses 1.5mm and 1.25mm pitch M12 bolts so I had no 1.75mm nuts handy. After a short period of contemplation, I got a bunch and fixed what might not have been a problem.

Since it was the holidays, I placed a good-sized order of parts (mostly used) from my friends at 928 International. I'll be working those in over the next few months and trying to get the electrics right.

Had the car out for a warm-up run today. It's 42F in Minneapolis as I write this. That's positively sweltering for the end of December. It'll be near 0F or below for the next three days so seemed like a good day for a drive.

Things worked fairly well. I even found the AC switching vents a bit and all fan speeds were working. There's something odd with the clutch as it didn't seem to be opening well. Maybe the discs aren't free on the intermediate shaft. Sometimes ground hard into gear and sometimes worked fine. I'll get to that after dropping the whole drivetrain from engine to tranny sometime. Yeah, sometime when the forecast includes 70s. The unheated garage is less appealing than it used to be.

do portable heaters make much of difference?

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2013, 09:30 AM   #86
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlege View Post
do portable heaters make much of difference?
Heaters help somewhat. The garage is insulated along three sides and the door is also insulated. The roof is not, however.

I've tried electric space heaters but the 20A circuit isn't enough. I've got a small propane heater but it doesn't heat the place and the fumes don't dissipate. There is a wood burner out there and it kicks a lot of heat but that takes a long time to warm the garage, and the contents.

What I really need is a natural gas "warehouse" heater. I could fire it up Friday evening and the cars and tools would be warm for the weekend.

If you haven't worked in super cold conditions, it's the temperature of the tools and parts that is hard to deal with. The air temp itself isn't a problem. Then there's issues with sealants and if torques are right.
Unread 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #87
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Heaters help somewhat. The garage is insulated along three sides and the door is also insulated. The roof is not, however.

I've tried electric space heaters but the 20A circuit isn't enough. I've got a small propane heater but it doesn't heat the place and the fumes don't dissipate. There is a wood burner out there and it kicks a lot of heat but that takes a long time to warm the garage, and the contents.

What I really need is a natural gas "warehouse" heater. I could fire it up Friday evening and the cars and tools would be warm for the weekend.

If you haven't worked in super cold conditions, it's the temperature of the tools and parts that is hard to deal with. The air temp itself isn't a problem. Then there's issues with sealants and if torques are right.
the coldest i have worked is 20s - 30s in a non heated garage. That concrete floor is very cold when you are lying on your back.

Former
Unread 01-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #88
69gaugeman
User

69gaugeman will become famous soon enough69gaugeman will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I've done repairs on the dirt on my back in minus 5 C temperatures. I know what it is like. Brrrrrr. Gives me nightmares just thinking about it.
69gaugeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #89
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Any news on this car?

Former
Unread 03-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #90
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Thanks for asking, but not really. I got a box of parts from 928Intl in early January and haven't gotten to it. Replacing some exhaust parts and removing the air injection are coming up.

The winter has been epic here with over 50 days where temps were below zero Fahrenheit. That curtails my ambition.
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (03-10-2014)