Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 928 Forum

Unread 10-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage
Default A new car!

New to me, of course.

I'll add more to the story in installments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0364_SMALL.jpg (56.3 KB, 42 views)
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #2
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

Looks like it needs a good buffing

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #3
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlege View Post
Looks like it needs a good buffing
Correct! That's a black car...officially.
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #4
Leon Speed
Shhhh, I'm analyzing

Leon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really nice
Garage

Nice! Looks like a s?
Unread 10-26-2011, 08:06 PM   #5
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Speed View Post
Nice! Looks like a s?
Yeah!

An '80 Euro S just like my other car.

For all its flaws, the engine pulls strongly and just sings. Or wails. Or thunders! Depends on my mood.
Unread 10-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

So I spot this '80 S 5-speed on eBay. I've got a search set up to find early 5-speeds that are cheap. And it is cheap. Opening price: $1500! Starts and moves. Lots of problems. Interior is a mess. Just what I want.

Except... It's near Centralia, Washington. Lemme see. 1700 miles to Minneapolis via Butte and Fargo. That's a haul and not such a pleasant one.

I emailed the seller to see if it'd suit my purposes. "Will it make it to Seattle without trailing fluids and on those tires?" I've got minimal standards. "Yes, it should" was the reply.

So far so good. Maybe I can take this up a notch in fun. I could use some help with pick-up and if there's trouble. I email my son, who's in Chicago, and ask if he'd go along. "Yes...Yes I would." was the reply.

A check of airfares showed some reasonable rates and a check with the spouse ("Go for it") and I was in.

Placed a first bid of $1700.

(More to follow)
Unread 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
carlege
Architect / Car Guy
Reutterwerk
Supporter

carlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to beholdcarlege is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to carlege

Well done. what are the plans for the car? More pictures please.

Former
2012 Subaru Impreza 2.0 5 speed 77800 miles
2001 Nissan Xterra SE, 236,000 miles
1994 Ford Explorer XLT, 262,000
carlege is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
Steve Geiger
User

Steve Geiger is on a distinguished road

No guts, no glory, they say. Good luck w/ the road trip part.
Steve Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM   #9
midlman
928 Addict

midlman will become famous soon enough

yea..we checked that one out there locally.....has the 4.5...and has US cams instead of the euro ones....really butchered... ..............

Just kidding .........

Sounds like you got a good one..for a great price. What were the issues you had on the way back...? Pretty brave to take it that distance

"With the 928, Porsche built a lightsaber, only to discover that people still liked their switchblades."
midlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:10 PM   #10
Leon Speed
Shhhh, I'm analyzing

Leon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really nice
Garage

I want one! Too bad prices here are higher than overseas. And I don't have an extra garage.
Unread 10-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

The trip back was interesting. I'm going to add it in serial installment-style.

The Plan is to make it a track car and, hopefully, a full race car. That'll be gradual as time and $$$ allow. That's the only pic I've got now. I'll add a few as the work progresses.

My first 928 is too nice to gut and the track mods are making city driving harsh, although I like the power.
Unread 10-28-2011, 01:33 AM   #12
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

(next...)

No one else bid so I won it at $1500. Traded a few emails with the owner and he was accommodating to when I could get out there.

As I was planning it my wife asked "What about your daughter?" She works so the youngest would be coming along. Three makes fun.

I settled on flying in on a Tuesday evening. The youngest had Wednesday through Friday off and that'd give good time. The plan was to get the car on Wednesday morning and start the trip back that afternoon. Looked like we could work in a good day in Yellowstone and some good time in the Tetons and Mt. Rushmore. Then arrive back Sunday evening after covering 2000+ miles.

Talking with the owner it sounded like the car needed some work but would make the drive back. In preparation I packed two boxes. One was my tool box and tools at 47 lbs and a second box of 45 lbs of parts. (50 lbs being a limit of the airline) The parts included various seals and fasteners, water pump, fuel pump, hood shocks, and other bits that might be handy.

The flights out went well and there we were in Seattle: me, my son and daughter, a Chevy Impala and 92 lbs of anticipation.
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:14 AM   #13
pcar928fan
928 FANATIC

pcar928fan is on a distinguished road

Join the 928 Owners Club and post this over there! I'd love to follow this closely and that is my preferred forum...though I can follow it here if I HAVE TO!
'84 928 S Ruby Red/Can Can Red-Black
'85 928 Euro S Guards Red/Black
'88 928 S4 Dark Blue/Linen
'92 928 Euro GTS Polar Silver/Navy Blue
'94 928 GTS Grand Prix White/Classic Gray
http://home.rr.com/jemorrison2
pcar928fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 09:51 PM   #14
GlenL
Workin' on it

Garage

(next...)

On Wednesday morning we made our way to Chehalis, WA. Ken was waiting for us.

The car was in the garage and was very dusty. He said it had been indoors for a while and clearly it had been. Looked in over for a bit and got to work.

Ken had gotten a new battery for the car and that went in. It was great of Ken to handle the thing before we arrived.I had recently looked for batteries and every place spec'd a battery that was the right height and width but was too short. This was the same item. I considered trading it for the correct battery but it'd get us going.

My son took on some interior issues. The right door panel and inside release were off. He got the release on but couldn't get the lock mechanism to fit. The panel was off to access the latch as it doesn't open from the outside. The window is also in-operative. Looks like some work there. The door panel had been on-off and laying around for a while and wouldn't cooperate. The handle mounting was also broken. We did what we could and it fairly hung there.

I had brought new hood shocks and those were needed. (Came in handy later on, too.) With the hood nicely open, I pulled the T-belt cover to take a look. The belt looked clean and fresh and tracked right in the middle. It was tensioned to the top of the slot on a Kempf too. I decided to not change the belt. Had brought the tools and spares for that operation but it'd take a half day or more with the chance for further problems.

We were talking about if the differential was LSD or plain so jacked the car. The showed a problem that would stay through the trip: the right-rear caliper was dragging. Time to dig in. I got the caliper off and the caliper seemed OK. The sliders were free and the piston moved back. Not sure what the issue is but it's getting a new caliper. I had suspected a dragging parking brake but it turned easily with the caliper off.

With the car in the air we could try to get the right-rear shock fixed. Ken included two rear shocks with the car but I chose to not attack that at the time. It was mentioned in the eBay ad but it was only clear to me when seeing it: the right-rear shock had broken off at the top. I was surprised that there was nothing in the cap" in the hatch area. There were some threads left on the rod so we worked that up through the mount and worked on a nut. That held for the trip back but the two rear shocks were completely shot. It'd bounce for a good while after hitting a bump.

With the door panel hung, the shock attached and the caliper "freed" (not!) it was time to start it up. Turning the key turned the engine over but it wouldn't start. Applying some starting fluid got it to fire so we looked at fuel supply. There was no sound from the pump so I spun all the fuses and re-plugged the relay. Then we got a hum from the rear and after a few cranks it fired.

The car ran fairly smoothly. It was really loud in a pleasant way. Trying out the controls it became apparent there were a lot of electrical issues. The tach, alternator, oil pressure and temperature gauges worked. After that the whole electrical system was out. No speedo. No gas gauge. No blower motor (although later on it'd come on with Defrost setting.) No radio. No interior lights. No cruise control. No dash lights. No turn signals. I'm suspicious of the aftermarket alarm. That's going to be completely removed.

With the car running and moveable, we packed up the tools and parts and headed out on the traveling part of our adventure. The first problem was about five miles down the road.

Last edited by GlenL; 11-01-2011 at 09:36 AM.
GlenL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2011, 01:58 PM   #15
WyattsRide
User

WyattsRide will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenL View Post
....With the car running and moveable, we packed up the tools and parts and headed out on the traveling part of our adventure. The first problem was about five miles down the road.
I can't wait for the next installment. I'm on the edge of my seat.
WyattsRide is offline   Reply With Quote