Nope, too expensive/complicated for me to consider 10 24.39%
On the fence about it. 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 09-14-2009, 03:52 PM   #16
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Lizard will become famous soon enough

Lets hope JD sees and deletes that!

OK, just got back from the cam guy. The cams will be shipped this week for the castings to be made. From then on it will simply be waiting for the castings to be completed and them to be made.

With regards to the questions on the tri-flow. The additional price will be between $200-$400 for the tri-flow. However there will only be 6 sets which will get that treatment! It is very time consuming. Basically if we get 6 sets then it will be closer to the lower scale, if we get 1 or 2 it will be on the higher scale.
I am doing the tri-flow for 1 of my sets. And a couple of others have expressed interest too.
So if you want the tri-flow grinds, please let me know immediately so that you can ensure to get it. If you are getting more than 1 set please specify how many of the sets you want it on.

Now, when I was speaking with the cam fellow today, there was a tiny misunderstanding. This was in that we had discussed having the cams made from 2 castings. He had then said that to make this a go it would be 50 of each casting. The part we missed on was that due to the complexity etc of the cams. It will be 4 seperate castings (better), but there are 50 sets that will be made. I am still going ahead with this none the less though!

For the second half though I will require a deposit to be put down for them.

So far we have 24/50 sets spoken for!

Lets get the last half spoken for and get them all taken up!

I also have more news on the profiles.

We will be offering basically 4 grinds. (But will work with you on anything you might want!)

All out race;
.466" lift 233 duration at .050"
Exhaust will probably be almost exactly the same.
B1 style
.438" lift 230 duration
The exhaust will be very close with a tiny bit less duration and lift.
Mid range is still to be determined,

GT+
Intake .400" lift 215 duration
Exhaust .355" lift 210 duration

For those that want a good increase in power yet dont want to have to mess with too much the GT+ grind would likely be the best one for you.

Please keep in mind that what you do with your cams is YOUR option. But to see the most out of the upgrade I would STRONGLY recommend standalone EFI, or sharktuning the car with larger injectors.

Lots have asked me about this and while the GT+ can be used with stock springs, as it has a nicer profile than the GT/S3 cams, I would still recommend that you consider changing the valve springs to something slightly stiffer. Though I am still doing my research before the cams are out the door I will have recommended spring rates for each of the cam profiles, and I will try to find and work out a deal for them as well!
Lizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #17
Lizard
Sharkaholic

I also forgot to mention that if all 50 cams are not sold then I will hang onto the blanks, and will offer them to be ground to your specs when you are ready to buy.
But as per the norm the cost will be higher at that time!

So now is the time to jump on them!
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Leon Speed
Shhhh, I'm analyzing

Leon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really nice
Garage

Colin, I would go for it but I am much to new to the engine business to consider this. I think I would prefer to spend some more money to get a stage 1 supercharger, because it sounds easier and has a significant impact on HP.
Unread 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #19
hans14914
User

hans14914 is on a distinguished road

Colin,

Thanks for all the new info. Can you get any more information on Tri-Flow from the grinder. Ideally, I would love to see a comparison on a cam with the same lobe profile, one with standard simultaneous operation, and then one with tri-flow to see what the improvements are, and where.

Also, if you (or the cam guy) has a decent engine simulator package, I would like to see the computed results of the various cam grinds to best make my decision.

Finally, are you still planning on making a dedicated supercharged cam, if not, what cam are you recommending for us boosted guys with Sharktuners.

Thanks
Hans
hans14914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #20
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans14914 View Post
Colin,

Thanks for all the new info. Can you get any more information on Tri-Flow from the grinder. Ideally, I would love to see a comparison on a cam with the same lobe profile, one with standard simultaneous operation, and then one with tri-flow to see what the improvements are, and where.

Also, if you (or the cam guy) has a decent engine simulator package, I would like to see the computed results of the various cam grinds to best make my decision.

Finally, are you still planning on making a dedicated supercharged cam, if not, what cam are you recommending for us boosted guys with Sharktuners.

Thanks
Hans
Hans,
I will try to get some more info from him preferably from another 4 valve engine to show the differences. Between the tri-flow and non.

Due to the way the SC works and the fact that it doesnt need something really special due to increased exhaust backpressure, any of the cam grinds would work really well with the blower.

Once I have a mid range cam figured out it will be better.

I know Tuomov has an engine sim, I will ask him to run the specs through his simulator to see what he gets.

But if you are not going to consider changing springs then the GT+ is the only one I would even consider.
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:03 PM   #21
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Speed View Post
Colin, I would go for it but I am much to new to the engine business to consider this. I think I would prefer to spend some more money to get a stage 1 supercharger, because it sounds easier and has a significant impact on HP.
In my opinion, I would do the cams before the SC as you will net a much larger power increase from the SC with better cams. And you will have the ability to step up one power notch before going all out.

Heck if you flew me over there for a week, I would consider even installing them for free
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:19 PM   #22
hans14914
User

hans14914 is on a distinguished road

If the cam is already out, It seem logical to go ahead and replace springs, just as a maintenance item. I would like to see matching springs, and lifters (if warranted) suggested for the cams. I dont think you would need to resell these items, just supply a source for the recommended bits.

Thanks
Hans
hans14914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #23
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Hans,

I will be working on that for sure!

BTW,

I found a site showing some info on the tri-flow.
Click here

But simply the tri-flow improves the mid and bottom end power while still increasing the top end power. This should also increase the detonation threshold at these levels as it maintains higher speeds in the combustion chamber which helps to eliminate lean and rich pockets.
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #24
terry91GT
User

terry91GT is on a distinguished road

Colin , It might be intresting to dyno my 91GT ,and then install a set of Gt+ with the tri-flow . These cams should sell out quickly . Finaly some new cams for our cars . Much better than rewelds . Terry
terry91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:54 AM   #25
PorKen
Inventor

PorKen is on a distinguished road

That Tri-Flow business is kinda neat. Staggered intake valve opening (requires 2 intake valves per cylinder).

http://www.coltcams.com/html/tri_flo...logy/index.cfm
1986·5 928 grandprixweiß weinrot #1195 » full leather, lsd auto « 3400#
1986·5 928 schwarz........schwarz #2824 » race ready, lsd 5-sp « 2900#/313rwhp
liftbars.com porken.com S300s.com
PorKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 03:52 AM   #26
Lizard
Sharkaholic

I am hoping so too Terry, I have noted you down for the Tri-Flow.

And you are right regarding the welded cams, the welded cams are very labour intense, not good for a street car, and tend to have some reliability issues.

So at this time all 6 for the tri-flow have been spoken for. Though I am sure I could twist his arm for a few more should anyone else want some.

Ken,
How many sets should I put you down for

BTW first 25 sets are spoken for!

Half down, half to go.

Lots of interest generating overseas with the racers for these.
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:05 AM   #27
Mike Frye
Writer of wrongs

Mike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to behold
Garage

That's great news that your first batch is already spoken for. Bodes well for a future batch I'd think.

Thanks for putting this together, good luck!
Mike Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #28
Lizard
Sharkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frye View Post
That's great news that your first batch is already spoken for. Bodes well for a future batch I'd think.

Thanks for putting this together, good luck!
Actually they are only half spoken for if you read the larger posting on pg 2

So there is still room for you to get a set Mike.
Unread 09-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #29
Mike Frye
Writer of wrongs

Mike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to beholdMike Frye is a splendid one to behold
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
Actually they are only half spoken for if you read the larger posting on pg 2

So there is still room for you to get a set Mike.
Oh, you mean the one right after the pron? Yeah, I may get fired for even looking at this thread on my work laptop. I don't think I can go back there, but if you say so ... (Sorry, I'm the kind of guy that waits for others to try this stuff out and then jumps in on vers. 2.0 or so if I can ). I'm just about ready to go with the PorkenTensioner.
Mike Frye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #30
Leon Speed
Shhhh, I'm analyzing

Leon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really niceLeon Speed is just really nice
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
In my opinion, I would do the cams before the SC as you will net a much larger power increase from the SC with better cams. And you will have the ability to step up one power notch before going all out.

Heck if you flew me over there for a week, I would consider even installing them for free
For the price of ticket I'll learn

So are you estimating the GT+ cams to add appr. 25 RWHP?