Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 924/944/968 Forum

Unread 11-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
robin w.
New User

robin w. is on a distinguished road
Default Electric 944 conversion

Hello everyone, I'm obviously new here. I was refered to this forum by a fellow 944 owner. I have an '83 944 that I am fixing up as a regular gas car as well as an '86 944 that I am converting to electric power. I will be using a series wound DC motor connected to the bell housing and torque tube to drive a stock 944 turbo tranny. The gas engine and all related components (cooling system, fuel system, exhaust system, etc.) have been removed making room for the DC motor, DC motor controller and a fairly large pack of LiFePO4 batteries. Range will be around 100-150km per charge depending on driving speed and style, power will be around 300hp and 300ft-lbs of torque.

The '86 started out as an NA donor that the previous owner had swapped in the turbo tranny. It's a bit slow off the line with the NA engine, but gets pretty good mileage. The electric motor can generate 300ft-lbs of torque from 0-5000 rpm so even with the higher ratio of the turbo tranny I'll probably be starting off in 2nd gear to avoid roasting the tires.

There will be no regen on this car, as it will be using "older" dc motor technology very similar to what's found in an electric forklift, just at much higher voltage/current and power levels.

I've only owned my 944's for a short time, but after a few months of driving the '86 I fell in love with it. I hope you guys can see this conversion in a positive light, I'm taking a great car, and turning it into something that is ECO friendly and with lower maintenance, but still keeping it's performance roots and great looks.

The car:
Click the image to open in full size.

A few of the batteries, the car will be powered by 630 of these cells:

The motor, with the stock (blown) 2.5L and starter for size reference:

If you have any comments or questions I would be happy to hear them. There are many small things I've left out, like charging, heating, power steering, brake booster vacuum and all that but I'll make some small updates as I install those systems. Right now I'm working on getting the gas 944 on the road, I bought it with a blown engine and am swapping the engine from the '86 into it.
robin w. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robin w. For Your Post:
John D. (12-10-2010), Pcar944 (12-10-2010)
Unread 11-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Welcome, Robin! I've followed some of your electronics work on another forum, and I know we'll be interested to see how the project goes!
pontifex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
Joel
User

Joel will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Joel

Hope you can find a good solution for weight/balance- I'm not sure how much all of that weighs.

Definitely post more details about it, especially relating to the clutch/disengagement mechanism for shifting (if you need it).
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
robin w.
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel View Post
Hope you can find a good solution for weight/balance- I'm not sure how much all of that weighs.

Definitely post more details about it, especially relating to the clutch/disengagement mechanism for shifting (if you need it).
Thanks for the comment, weight balance shouldn't be a problem, I've been keeping track of all the weight removed from the car and will do my best to put it back in the same places. The car will gain about 100-150lbs over stock, so it could be brought back down/below stock weight with the right weight reduction, however a doubling of HP/Torque should make up for it.

As for the clutch it's staying for now, but it's only required for changing gears and not starting/stopping so if it can handle the torque it will virtually last forever. If it can't handle the torque that's another story, and I may end up with a clutchless setup depending on how well it shifts.
Unread 12-10-2010, 02:12 AM   #5
993Maineiac
DIY Blood Donor
Rennwish & Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,245 Posts
993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future993Maineiac has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to 993Maineiac Send a message via Yahoo to 993Maineiac

I would think with an increase in weight of less then one passenger (standard is 180#) not much would be affected. It is the balance issue that would concern me more. The 944 was about perfectly balanced (if underpowered) so placement would be essential to keep the personality of the car. I will watch this thread with interest.
Longhorn Region PCA-Hook Um
993Maineiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 07:39 AM   #6
Thaddeus
Harmless crank

Thanked 3,420 Times in 1,980 Posts
Thaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond reputeThaddeus has a reputation beyond repute

Awesome! I'll be watching.

2011 Subaru Legacy: 0-60: 8.6
2008 Toyota Sienna: 0-60: 7.1
2000 VW Beetle Diesel: 0-60: 6.9... really! (Bosio nozzles, tuned ECU!)
Thaddeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 08:31 AM   #7
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

Thanked 1,661 Times in 857 Posts
SD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant future

Very cool project.

'92 968 Cab - Horizon Blue
SD Porsche Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #8
cie_lab
Oroborous

Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,811 Posts
cie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond reputecie_lab has a reputation beyond repute

bookmark'd
Unread 08-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #9
robin w.
New User

Well it's been WAY too long since I've updated here.

The car is mostly done, and my daily driver. Just got some new suspension on it to bring up the back and lower the front.

It gained 300lbs on the rear and lost 100lbs on the front. F/R balance is about the same as a Cayman now and I really like it.

Most of the batteries are in the rear, sunk in the floor where the gas tank and spare tire use to reside.

In the front you can see the battery box where the rad use to be before I installed the batteries. You can also see the front of the motor and stock AC.

I think I need to get some new pictures of the almost final product.

I love the car though, it's fast, handles amazing with plenty of power.
It'll do 0-60mph in 5 seconds flat with ease right now, but there's room for improvement with software tuning in the controller as well as some extra batteries I'm about to install. Might need some wider rubber though, that's on 215/60R15's and I have to baby it a bit off the line when I launch in 2nd gear (turbo transmission) it's still pretty easy to break the tires loose.

My new goal is 0-60 in 4.4 seconds or exactly half of what the car did as a stock '86 NA.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robin w. For Your Post:
carlege (08-29-2013), pontifex4 (08-28-2013)
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #10
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Robin, that's sensational work.

Does the AC compressor only get turned when the car is moving, or do you idle the electric motor? Does the car still have its computer and gauges, or do you have something custom for that, too?
pontifex4 is offline   Reply With Quote