Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Volkswagen Forums > VW Vintage & SUV > Touareg

Unread 09-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Robby in WA
Cap'n Insane the Engorged
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Robby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud of
Garage
Default First thread :-) - Getting T-Egg in a Few Days

After a long wait, I'll get the keys to a new T-egg in a few days.

I'll post pics and impressions here - replacing Range Rover 4.6 P38.
Unread 09-24-2008, 01:42 AM   #2
Robby in WA
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Robby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud ofRobby in WA has much to be proud of
Garage

First pic - more impressions in a bit....

Click the image to open in full size.
Unread 09-24-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,112 Posts
Dick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Keep the keys away from your son.
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

"AMERICA! Designed by geniuses, Run by idiots.."
Dick B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Robby in WA
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Beers View Post
Keep the keys away from your son.
Believe me, he's not even allowed to look at it.

Photo shoot - kind of dark.

Review soon - let's just say I like it for now.

2 12v and a 110v inverter in the back.

Unread 09-29-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
Dick B.
Adult Supervisor
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanked 1,881 Times in 1,112 Posts
Dick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond reputeDick B. has a reputation beyond repute
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in WA View Post
Believe me, he's not even allowed to look at it.

Looks like the dog(s) already went for a ride. Think I see some paw marks on the back of the rear seats.

Nice lookin' car.... er SUV ... or whatever they call um.
2016 Polaris RZR 570EPS

"AMERICA! Designed by geniuses, Run by idiots.."
Dick B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
eaniemeanie
Don't call it a comeback.

eaniemeanie is on a distinguished road

What were your long term impressions of the Range Rover? Just curious.
eaniemeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 09:06 AM   #7
kris
User

kris is a jewel in the roughkris is a jewel in the roughkris is a jewel in the rough

I thought you'd never get rid of the P38. Touareg looks great, all the initial shortcomings should be gone by now. Only the wheels look a tad smallish. Are they 17 or 18 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaniemeanie View Post
We sold ours after 5 years and 100.000 miles (2.5 BMW 6 in line diesel). My wife, it was hers, loved it, just like a pair of comfortable old slippers. It has broken down quite a few times, leaving us stranded by the roadside. The suspension is something to watch out for (compressor, cracking rubber bellows). Almsot all electronic switches needed replacement at some stage. We replaced it by an X5 which is a much better car in terms of handling, power and comfort. When it comes down to class and presence the P38 wins hands-down.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #8
Robby in WA
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Beers View Post

Looks like the dog(s) already went for a ride. Think I see some paw marks on the back of the rear seats.

Nice lookin' car.... er SUV ... or whatever they call um.
Thanks. Those marks are from our lil' guy's mountain bike. No hair in there.....yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaniemeanie View Post
I had it for 10 years 130k miles and loved it ( I shed a few tears when they took it away - some great memories in that truck ). They have some QC issues, but my service manager told me I got, "a good one."

The air suspension components start to fail over 100k miles. I got a reset tool here:

http://www.rswsolutions.com/index.htm

that resets it so we wouldn't be stranded. Any little leak will cause it to "sink" but the Buddy Box brings it back. It was a great highway vehicle and an awesome 4x4 - could take it almost anywhere - pull stumps, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris View Post
I thought you'd never get rid of the P38. Touareg looks great, all the initial shortcomings should be gone by now. Only the wheels look a tad smallish. Are they 17 or 18 ?.....
My son totaled it taking the trash up to the road. Otherwise I was planning on keeping it a few more years. I just put new tires on it.

The T-egg has 17" on it. These are better off-road and for snow and I'm not into the bling-bling look.

As you can see from the pic - the Rover mat fits almost perfectly in the rear space. The Egg has just as much room as the Rover. It's much more fun to drive too. Interior quality is on par w/Audi. I didn't get the air suspension because of the problems we had w/the Rover.

It has some neat features I've never had in a vehicle before - rear camera, rain sensor, the headlights turn, satellite radio, iPod/iPhone input, the nav is a million times better than the Rover's ( that was first generation ).

It seems like it's a cop magnet or just easy to drive fast. I've already been pulled over twice, one warning, one ticket.

The way the interior lights up at is really cool. I guess they did a bunch of research w/fighter pilots and night vision.

So far no issues, only 700 miles on it though.

The first "4x4-ing" I did was to take it down to our beach for the pics above. Low range has a ton of torque and I didn't notice the 40 lb/ft deficit it has from the Rover. I have some trees to clear in the next few weeks, so we'll see how it does there.

Overall I'm really happy w/it.
Unread 09-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #9
kris
User

kris is a jewel in the roughkris is a jewel in the roughkris is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob in WA View Post
My son totaled it taking the trash up to the road. Otherwise I was planning on keeping it a few more years. I just put new tires on it.

The T-egg has 17" on it. These are better off-road and for snow and I'm not into the bling-bling look.

As you can see from the pic - the Rover mat fits almost perfectly in the rear space. The Egg has just as much room as the Rover. It's much more fun to drive too. Interior quality is on par w/Audi. I didn't get the air suspension because of the problems we had w/the Rover.

It has some neat features I've never had in a vehicle before - rear camera, rain sensor, the headlights turn, satellite radio, iPod/iPhone input, the nav is a million times better than the Rover's ( that was first generation ).

It seems like it's a cop magnet or just easy to drive fast. I've already been pulled over twice, one warning, one ticket.

The way the interior lights up at is really cool. I guess they did a bunch of research w/fighter pilots and night vision.

So far no issues, only 700 miles on it though.

The first "4x4-ing" I did was to take it down to our beach for the pics above. Low range has a ton of torque and I didn't notice the 40 lb/ft deficit it has from the Rover. I have some trees to clear in the next few weeks, so we'll see how it does there.

Overall I'm really happy w/it.
Oops, that must have been a bit of shock. In between 17 inch and bling-bling there's an 18 inch which fits perfectly for this type of SUV. I've got a summer and winter set in 18 inch for the X5. Looks good and is still very capable in the snow. I had them also on the P38 (see below). Enjoy your new car. Which engine did u get in the end ?

Unread 09-30-2008, 11:58 AM   #10
Robby in WA
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

I got the V6, it has 280 HP and 265 ft/lb of torque. Up 55 HP and down 35 lb/ft of torque from the Rover. I drove all of them and decided this had enough power for our needs. Towing capacity doesn't change w/the V8. Plus it gets better gas mileage and is more bang for your buck. I was trying to hold out for the V6 diesel which should be stateside in early '09, but w/our exchange student - couldn't wait any longer. I might trade it in, in a year or two, for the diesel. It came w/the 17" wheels. The Rover ( 4.6 HSE ) had 18"s on it. I might change at some point, but these don't bother me and I like the stock wheels.

Good to see ya here Kris, you're one of the people I was going to invite from that other site.
Unread 09-30-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
kris
User

Tx Rob. Appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to kris For Your Post:
Robby in WA (10-03-2008)
Unread 11-14-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
Robby in WA
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Garage

I pulled the ski boat out yesterday and got a chance to see how she tows.

20' Mastercraft ~3500 lbs w/the trailer. Tows like a dream. The rearview camera makes it super easy to hook up the trailer. No need for another person to guide.

I could see taking a long road trip w/the boat and the Treg, it was that nice. Maybe take it up to Shushwap Lake.