Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 964 Forum

Unread 05-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

PNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Default Stripped and Frustrated

I was pulling the brakes off to replace the brake lines, pads, paint and all around freshen up. I had 7 of the 8 caliper bolts off when the bottom bolt in the rear stripped out. This is the one you have to have the extra long allen wrench for as it passes through the suspension. Freakin' great. This one (being last) got the most penetrating oil too.

I tried an extraction kit from Harbor Freight but they were either too fat or too short. I tried one from Sears but I broke it in like 5 minutes. I started drilling out the head (and got pretty far along) but started to worry about damaging the caliper when I noticed the bit wasn't staying centered.

I ended up drilling the head from the bottom and put a nail punch with a socket extension on it and "bounced" it a few times. Finally I heard the "crack" I was looking for. I drilled additional holes to keep the bolt spinning.

It just so happened my son came out as I changed gears and went this route. He's my lucky charm (tonight even more so). Relieved, I'm treating him to a movie and popcorn. For me, time for a

1993 964 Oak Green Metallic C2 Targa
Daily Drivers: 2005 Civic EX; 2008 Pilot VP
The Ultimate 964 Targa Thread
PNine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

Ain't it fun to work on cars where some bolts haven't been touched in a loooong time? Start doing track events so that you will be changing rotors more regularly and you will not have this problem!
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:28 PM   #3
PNine64
Dazed and Confused

PNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the roughPNine64 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Yeah, the car only has 35K miles and these were the original pads and rotors. I plan on going through everything as time permits but figured I'd make stopping first on the list. I bought all new hardware and left off all the sensors and anti squeel stuff so I didn't have to fight that stuff next time. I zip tied the sensors up for now but might do that bypass later. At this point I just want to get it fired up.

1993 964 Oak Green Metallic C2 Targa
Daily Drivers: 2005 Civic EX; 2008 Pilot VP
The Ultimate 964 Targa Thread
PNine64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNine64 View Post
Yeah, the car only has 35K miles and these were the original pads and rotors. I plan on going through everything as time permits but figured I'd make stopping first on the list. I bought all new hardware and left off all the sensors and anti squeel stuff so I didn't have to fight that stuff next time. I zip tied the sensors up for now but might do that bypass later. At this point I just want to get it fired up.
Good choice with the brakes first. Zip ties should be fine for the sensors.

It sounds like a great car with only 35K on the clock!
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote