Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 993 Forum

Unread 11-12-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

BSL is on a distinguished road
Default Changing Radio

The radio currently in my car is a bit too flashy for my tastes, and also doesn't have the ability to add an i-pod input. What are people's thoughts on a CDR-220 versus something like a Kenwood/JVC (one with an understated screen, not a lot of graphics). I have seen the aftermarket for $150 and less, and can pick up the CDR for about $250 shipped with the i-pod cable.

From my view, I like the stock look of the CDR. The benefits to the aftermarket is ability to control i-pod from the radio, and they are about $100 cheaper (I am not looking to spend a lot of money on this, as my favorite music is engine/exhaust at >5k rpm ).

Right now I am leaning toward the CDR--any good reasons to not do this?

1995 C2 Cab - lots of goodies from the previous owner

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
helmet993
User

helmet993 is on a distinguished road

I have a CDR220, I impulse purchased it off 6speed for like $150 shipped. I have to do the faceplate mod still - it is really invisible in daylight.

One thing I did notice - after installing the CDR220 the FM reception sucks. There is a chance the antenna plug popped off...but I doubt it.

Honestly, I think I am going to go back to the CDR210 - but before I fully decide I want to check the antenna connection.

The audio is about the same - I have the HiFi option but one thing for sure is the CDR220 skips CDs less.

So...whichever you aesthetically prefer. I will follow up in a few days about the FM antenna connection to confirm or clarify my reception comments.
Unread 11-12-2009, 03:16 PM   #3
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Thanks for the info--this CDR is from a 986, so sounds like the faceplate mod will be needed. The radio in the car now is a Sony, and skipping really hasn't been a problem with it, despite the car being dropped to ROW RS height.

I am having pretty crappy fm reception also, and was thinking about an antenna booster...

If you decide you want to go back to the 210, I may be interested in your 220--let me know.

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
Unread 11-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #4
helmet993
User

helmet993 is on a distinguished road

I did a search on the list a bit ago and there was some discussion regarding the sensitive connection when using a cdr220...and the possibility the antenna connection near the window can get wasted too.

Hopefully it's as easy as affixing the antenna properly...One thing that was smart about the CDR210 had a convenient place to zip tie the antenna angle connector to the body of the radio to prevent it popping out...the 220 doesn't have that. BTW my connector is the angle type.

CDR220 for sale now:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=29890

Knobs look a little beat, but you can get those easily.
Unread 11-13-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet993 View Post
CDR220 for sale now:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index...howtopic=29890

Knobs look a little beat, but you can get those easily.
Thanks for the link. He is looking for a little much IMO at $175, when for $25 more I can get one in like-new condition.

Regarding the antenna connection at the window, I think that might be my problem. Does anyone know if this is a somewhat easy fix? Is it a DIY, or is this something where the window needs to be pulled?

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
Unread 11-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #6
JPP
Porsche Pusher

JPP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
The radio currently in my car is a bit too flashy for my tastes, and also doesn't have the ability to add an i-pod input. What are people's thoughts on a CDR-220 versus something like a Kenwood/JVC (one with an understated screen, not a lot of graphics). I have seen the aftermarket for $150 and less, and can pick up the CDR for about $250 shipped with the i-pod cable.

From my view, I like the stock look of the CDR. The benefits to the aftermarket is ability to control i-pod from the radio, and they are about $100 cheaper (I am not looking to spend a lot of money on this, as my favorite music is engine/exhaust at >5k rpm ).

Right now I am leaning toward the CDR--any good reasons to not do this?
IIRC there's a compatibility issue with later generations of iPod/iPhone connection/connectors. Right now, Alpine's IDA-X305 head unit looks like the best interface. Not as subtle as the CDR units but totally integrated.
JPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #7
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

I think that I am set on the 220 now, just working out the details of the deal. Will need to contact Becker about the faceplate change, and need to get the wiring connectors, as well as the i-Pod connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPP View Post
IIRC there's a compatibility issue with later generations of iPod/iPhone connection/connectors. Right now, Alpine's IDA-X305 head unit looks like the best interface. Not as subtle as the CDR units but totally integrated.
I actually have the old school first generation i-pod... Will need to check if it will work, or if I need to find something a little newer. Only problem I saw with the Alpine IDA is that they don't have a cd player (I haven't transferred all my music to digital yet).

edit: Well, that fell through... Oh well, it will be a long winter, so there is plenty of time to search.

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster

Last edited by BSL; 11-20-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Unread 11-25-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
DB_NC_95C2
User

DB_NC_95C2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
I think that I am set on the 220 now, just working out the details of the deal. Will need to contact Becker about the faceplate change, and need to get the wiring connectors, as well as the i-Pod connector.

I actually have the old school first generation i-pod... Will need to check if it will work, or if I need to find something a little newer. Only problem I saw with the Alpine IDA is that they don't have a cd player (I haven't transferred all my music to digital yet).

edit: Well, that fell through... Oh well, it will be a long winter, so there is plenty of time to search.
I just purchased a pre-owned, but new & never installed CDR-220. I probably paid a bit more than I could have for one that had been installed before, but I'm happy with the price. I should get it today. I have a JVC with ugly silver amorphous buttons and dancing stupid graphics, I hate it. It has to go, I want the stock look. I don't care about iPods or MP3 players, I just want a decent CD player and occasional FM. I'll send the faceplate off to Becker for the visibility mod, and get the removal keys and the wiring harness, because I have no idea what butchery may have occurred when the prior owner removed the OEM cassette and put in the JVC. Speaking of which, can someone recommend the best place to have the JVC removed and CDR-220 installed ? A genuine Porsche facility ? A good car-audio facility ? My local mechanic (who tells me as long as I have the wiring harness he should be ok to do it ?)

If I were an audiophile (for car stereo) I'd have paid more and gotten a Nakamichi CD-500. I'm an audiophile in the house, not in the car. Most of the time I don't even have the stereo on, when the weather's nice, it's windows down and listen to the glorious sound of DACH cat-less XPipes and DACH-R mufflers.

'06 Mini Cooper (O.Z,MTH, Milltek & M7 tuned)

http://www.hakkinen.com/spain99-mh1st-easy.mp3

DB_NC_95C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2009, 02:04 AM   #9
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Well, just found one and should have it this coming weekend. Will get the new faceplate from Becker, and the wiring harnesses, as I believe the original wiring harness was cut out for the Sony radio that is there now.

David-
If your independent can do it (and you would rather not), then that is probably a good option. I wouldn't pay the dealer rates for wiring in a radio.

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
Unread 12-05-2009, 12:35 PM   #10
DB_NC_95C2
User

Sent mine to Becker, they checked it out (I thought I should send it as well as the face plate just in case),they did the face plate mod, sending it back with the wiring harness, removal keys, hardcopy manual with faceplate pocket. I didn't get the iPod interface, I don't even have an iPod or MP3 player, just want radio & cd.
Need to make the appointment with local independent. Then notch off one more step down the slippery slope.

Unread 12-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #11
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

I spent some time yesterday splicing the "new" Becker plug to the original wiring harness--I think that the speakers are wired in correctly based on going color of car's harness to like color in the plug, just need to figure out the "A" side of the plug connections.

I will say that it has taken a little longer than I intended, but hasn't been too bad.

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
Unread 12-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #12
Red
User

Red is on a distinguished road

I'm thinking about doing something like this as well. I have a cheesy aftermarket unit right now. Another brand to look at is Nakamichi... nice units with a very understated look.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
DB_NC_95C2
User

what a nightmare, the wire butchery done to install the JVC I'm replacing (and it was tapped into the factory 'hifi option' amp under the passenger seat) goes beyond description. I had to order an antenna connector for the CDR220 AND the interface cable that goes between the amp and the CDR220. Those should be here Thursday or Saturday, then I can finish the job early next week.

Partly my fault, I didn't ask Becker if I might need them as I hadn't gotten in there yet.

I'll still be really glad I did this, car deserves OEM look. Did see the lit faceplate from Becker, it's a nice change from stock, much more visible.

Unread 12-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #14
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2 View Post
what a nightmare, the wire butchery done to install the JVC I'm replacing (and it was tapped into the factory 'hifi option' amp under the passenger seat) goes beyond description. I had to order an antenna connector for the CDR220 AND the interface cable that goes between the amp and the CDR220. Those should be here Thursday or Saturday, then I can finish the job early next week.
Want to bet that it was done "professionally" too? I have yet to find a stereo shop that does a good job. Most use crimp caps, and the few that I have seen solder, don't make a good mechanical connection first and most of their solder joints are cold, and I have NEVER seen one that actually uses heat shrink. Aftermarket alarm installs are even worse.

Post pictures when you're done!
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #15
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

I am finally almost done with my install (sorry Curt, I have been using crimp caps, but I wanted to make sure I had all the connections correct first then want to go back and "do it right" so I will feel better about it). One question I have is about the antenna plug--doesn't seem to want to go in. Am I wrong in assuming this is just a standard connection? Just needs to be worked in, no?

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster