Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 964 Forum

Unread 12-11-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Jazzman
New User

Jazzman is on a distinguished road
Default smoking wires

Hi,
When I started my 1992 C2 after work on a very cold day, the starter was very slow as if the battery was low. I turned off the key after 3 or 4 seconds and turned off anything that was electronic in the car (radio, heater fan which squeels in the cold, etc) Then I tried again. The car started for a moment and died. One more try with the same result. The next try I gave it some gas and the engine rev-ed up some and almost kept going but there was smoke coming from under the dash by the steering column. I turned it off and got out of the car. After the smoke cleared I did not see any melted wires or anything so I got back in the car and turned on the key. Everything looked normal and the car started normally. I stopped a few places on the way home and it perfomed as usual. I have not driven it since because it is low on fuel and the gas station was out of premium. I will drive it this weekend. Has anyone experienced the same problem? How do I get to the ignition switch area easily? The smell has not left the cab. Thanks.
Jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Stromius
Son of a son of a sailor

Stromius is on a distinguished road
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Stromius

You might consider checking your ground points for corrosion. In the 928's we typically do this as a matter of maintenance too.

88 928 S4 - 5 speed : X pipe/hi flo cats / Black Sea rear muffler / Venetian Blue / Blue&Champagne
Stromius is offline   Reply With Quote