Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 993 Forum

Unread 05-21-2010, 01:38 PM   #31
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsr91128 View Post
On the vario-ram you will see 2 complete sets of intake runners that are different lengths made out of aluminum. As the engine speed changes it opens and closes the different intake runners making the intake air travel further for low engine speed (more torque) and a shorter distance for high rpm (better for HP).

There are actually three intake flow settings. Assuming more than 50% throttle opening, the length changes at approx. 3800rpm, then changes again at approx. 5150rpm. Basically runner "A" is open first, then it switches to runner "B", and finally both runners are opened.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #32
Blupurr
Super User

Blupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the roughBlupurr is a jewel in the rough

This has been one of the most informative threads I've read in a very long time!!! Thanks for lookin' out for me, Bob. And thanks to both you and rsr for all of the great education.
Blupurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #33
rsr91128
User

rsr91128 is on a distinguished road
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupurr View Post
Woah. Where'd you get the tube? That sure makes changing spark plugs a ton easier, to say the least.
It is a factory RS piece. Part number is 993 211 941 00. I got it from Darin and Mark at FD Motorsports. I don't know how but their prices are better than suncoast and sunset. Another benefit is I can write them a check out of an account my other half doesn't have access to, instead of putting it on a credit card so she doesn't know how much I spend on my car . They have promised not to tell (for now anyway).

As for pro's and con's:

Good: No more noisy fan motor when I want some heat in the car, it removes around 10 lbs from the back of the car, it really cleans up the engine compartment for access and visually too.

Against: You have to run the cabin fans at a pretty high speed to draw the heat up front but there is still plenty of heat so this is not that big of a deal, the other operation of the rear fan is for extra cooling especially after shutdown when the engine is really hot. This point doesn't matter to me because I let the car cool down as I finish a drive or will idle it for a little bit and while it is cooling down at idle I'll check the oil and look for leaks (both are always fine but I do it anyway ).

There are a few options for the fan bypass, factory RS piece, Rennline carbon fiber and fabspeed carbon fiber.

I like factory piece because it matches the engine intake and it is cheaper than the other options by quite a bit (if you get it from the right place). The Rennline looks good without the emblem but is still a bit too flashy for my engine bay, I have read nothing good about the Fabspeed unit, poor fit and overpriced seem to be thrown around on other posts but I have no personal experience with it.

Let us know how blupurr drives after you get the boot put in (it always drives better after you complete a job yourself ).
rsr91128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2010, 09:49 PM   #34
rsr91128
User

rsr91128 is on a distinguished road
Garage

Sorry I just realized why you were calling me rsr instead of by name. My signature line was not showing up, found why in the control panel.
My name is Erik and I am a Porscheholic.

1995 993 coupe 6 speed Polar Silver/ Black
rsr91128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #35
Bull
Regulator

Bull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to allBull is a name known to all

Blupurr, I would do the fan bypass if I were you (and I have in the past) since you need more regular access to things than the average drover. I also like the look. The cabin heat will not be an issue for you. Sounds like Erik has the low-cost source for the part.
Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #36
cgfen
User

cgfen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blupurr View Post
I've got my breaker bar in there holding up the lid (like many of these cars, my lid shocks are toast).
sounds like your 2nd DIY
cgfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 09:53 PM   #37
jakfrost
New User

jakfrost is on a distinguished road

[/QUOTE]As for the fresh air intake vs. none I got rid of it altogether

Click the image to open in full size.[/QUOTE]

WOW that looks clean, I LIKE it, A LOT... Were did you see that mod, how much did it cost, can I do it? Droooooooool....

I have a '95.5 993, no VR obviously, but no basket handle either, but I do have the fresh air intake.

Hope you read this, it was a post from last year...

Jim
jakfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #38
Bill Verburg
User

Bill Verburg is on a distinguished road
Garage

As for the fresh air intake vs. none I got rid of it altogether

Click the image to open in full size.[/QUOTE]

WOW that looks clean, I LIKE it, A LOT... Were did you see that mod, how much did it cost, can I do it? Droooooooool....

I have a '95.5 993, no VR obviously, but no basket handle either, but I do have the fresh air intake.

Hope you read this, it was a post from last year...

Jim[/QUOTE]
The heat tube is the one used on a 993R, S part#993.211.341.41

Rennline & Fabspeed both sell aftermarket versions
Bill Verburg is offline   Reply With Quote