Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 997 Forum

Unread 07-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #31
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

LikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to LikeMyStoppie?
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI Flyer View Post
Last September, I tried to order a C4 coupe. In December, my salesperson informed me that there were no allocations for C4 or C4S cars (coupe or cabs.) I was able to find an existing allocation, i.e., one that was assigned to another dealer for a C4S which was modifiable. I took it and got my new car last month.

The C4 has apparently never been a popular model. And Porsche seems to have tried to force customers to buy from existing inventory as early as last year by restricting allocations.

For those unfamiliar with Porsche's arcane ordering system, dealers cannot order cars without an allocation (authorization to order a particular model) from the company. These allocations seem to be released to dealers based on past sales and the needs and convenience of the factory. I'm sure that there's much more to it but this is a rough outline of what I learned -- obviously from the customer's perspective. If someone knows more or can provide more details, please fill in the gaps.
You're close, but let me shed more light.... Porsche (as a company) has an obligation to sell cars. As many as possible. They have a marketing department that track sales. For MkI 997's- "S" models easily outsold "Non S" models. Thus at the crash of '08- and beginning of '09MY' there was a gluttony of "S" models alike. At one point I did a search and there was fewer then 3 dozen C4 coupe or cabriolets alike.

Interestingly enough, since the MkII 997's have arrived, there are fewer actual differences between S and Non S cars, so convincing oneself that the extra $10k+ in engine and options is worth it- is a more difficult sell, emotionally and logically. And now, there are barely any cars around.

What we're seeing today is Porsche trying to feed the dealers whom do a good job, and at the same time- starving the bad ones, or under performing dealers. Even as I write this- there are FAR too many Dealers to sustain. Just too many. It's going to take time to thin the heard, but it'll happen- unless we get a miracle and our Economy really shifts around. Highly doubtful.

In addition, you're seeing first hand how one dealer has a car, and one does not. But it doesn't have to stop there, if your dealer is progressive and hands on, they won't accept NOT having a car as an answer. They make their own destiny, and will search high and low for a car, for the client. Thus earning a sale.

The car business is, on many levels, very easy. But it's the layers of complicated psychology that confuse people. - all manageable when in the hands of a true professional.

Cheers-

Chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucydides View Post
Pick up an 8ball. This is for science man.
LikeMyStoppie? is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #32
FI Flyer
New User

FI Flyer is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure that I get it.

I wanted to get a C4 and my dealer wanted to sell it to me. (My dealer is a a high volume dealer. The word "premier" sticks in my mind or maybe it is "gold" but, whatever, they are not unproductive for Porsche.) Apparently there were very few C4 cars in inventory anywhere.

So why would Porsche, which is in the business of selling as many cars as possible want to risk the sale by making it impossible for me -- or my dealer -- to place a factory order for a C4 or even a C4S? At the time we are discussing I had a very nice Cayman S and was only interested in a 911 that would meet my exact specifications.

We checked and there were literally no C4s or C4Ses in dealers inventories in North America with the options that I required. I was offered my money back and nearly took it until my dealer found a C4S allocation that could be modified to my specs. Then he had to re-negotiate with me.

So why was putting me and my dealer through this ordeal worth it? My dealer is not marginal. I was a ready, willing and able buyer. And there was nothing available in inventory that was close enough to my requirements to tempt me. Yes, they did sell me a pricer C4S instead of a C4 but, if that was their intention, why not simply remove the C4 from their list of models?

I still don't get it.
FI Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2010, 05:21 PM   #33
LikeMyStoppie?
PooorSHA Porrrrn StAr
Reutterwerk
Supporter

LikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of lightLikeMyStoppie? is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to LikeMyStoppie?

Easy-

Supply- Demand.

There was not as much demand for regular C4 product as there is now. Regardless, Porsche wants to make sure cars don't sit at the dealer any longer then is really necessary. While you might want the car- and this is certainly not meant to be offensive to you- you- are not the only client Porsche must think about.

end of the day, Porsche marketing took their best shot at guessing what actual demand would be for a model. Thats the best anyone can do these days. Discontinuing a model; while still producing the 997 Chassis would -devalue- the entire brand. And Porsche won't do that; not that way.

In addition; the spectrum of folks who absolutely won't go for the S model- are much fewer then you can imagine. Most clients, when met with such low volume of any given car, will sway, and opt for the pricier S model. Or, go completely the other direction, and go for a slightly used car.

Again, they try and arrive at a real approximate # for allocation. They don't always hit their mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thucydides View Post
Pick up an 8ball. This is for science man.
LikeMyStoppie? is offline   Reply With Quote