Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 996 Forum

View Poll Results: 951 vs 996 - DYI maintenance and repair.
951 is easier to do your own maintenance and repair. 0 0%
996 is easier to perfrom your own maintenance and repair. 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-06-2012, 03:53 PM   #1
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

Thanked 1,661 Times in 857 Posts
SD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant future
Default 951 vs 996 - Which is easier to wrench on?

I absolutely love my 951 but just spent 3 days busting my knuckles replacing the turbo. And as my wife and I are getting older we are looking more towards a weekend fun car with a few more creature comforts.

But I don't want to get those creature comforts at the expense of being able to perform most maintenance tasks on my own.

So if you've worked on both platforms please let me know what your experience has been.

'92 968 Cab - Horizon Blue
SD Porsche Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

SD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant futureSD Porsche Fan has a brilliant future

Not a very lively bunch over here. Lol!

Unread 08-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Ray S
Ironman
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Ray S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to behold

Can't say I've done extensive "wrenching" on either model, but the 996 has significantly longer service intervals that the 951 and the maintenance performed at those intervals is generally less intense.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resqir1s/P...aintenance.pdf

Oil changes on the 996 aren't bad. Brake pad changes are stupid easy. If something breaks inside, I'm calling an expert for either car.

Good luck....

'00 986 (Sold)
'02 996 C2 (Sold)
'08 997 Turbo aka "Silver Bullet"
Ray S is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ray S For Your Post:
SD Porsche Fan (08-07-2012)
Unread 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #4
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray S View Post
Can't say I've done extensive "wrenching" on either model, but the 996 has significantly longer service intervals that the 951 and the maintenance performed at those intervals is generally less intense.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resqir1s/P...aintenance.pdf

Oil changes on the 996 aren't bad. Brake pad changes are stupid easy. If something breaks inside, I'm calling an expert for either car.

Good luck....
Thanks Ray.

I spent the first 4 years of 951 ownership catching up on scheduled/preventative maintenance that the previous owner didn't feel was necessary.

The turbo debacle was my own fault. I dropped a bolt into the intake at some point while replacing the a/c compressor.

The belt changes every 3 years or 30k miles are a pain. But every I get on the boost it all seems worth it!

That being said if I "modernize" my Porsche hobby a 996 is on my short list.

Unread 08-07-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
02tx996cab
New User

02tx996cab is on a distinguished road

Steve, the 996 forum here is kinda quiet--the 928 forum gets loads of activity.

Anyway, I've done basic maintenance, a suspension replacement (M030 RoW for stock), brake pad replacement on all four wheels, and catback exhaust replacement on my 996. I'm by no means a highly trained mechanic, yet I found all of these jobs very doable. Info on various 996 forums (here, rennlist, renntech, etc.) and many DIY videos posted on youtube by Porsche fanatics help a bunch. I can't imagine the 951 being much easier for these types of jobs. Like the last poster noted, anything requiring breaking into the engine case is a job for a real pro--not for me.

What I find challenging as a "not as young as I used to be" owner (I'm 50) is crawling under the car to do most every job. Gravity sucks! Having access to or getting a lift so that you can work sitting or standing will make nearly every wrenching job easier.
02tx996cab is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 02tx996cab For Your Post:
SD Porsche Fan (08-07-2012)
Unread 08-07-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
SD Porsche Fan
Werker drone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tx996cab View Post
What I find challenging as a "not as young as I used to be" owner (I'm 50) is crawling under the car to do most every job. Gravity sucks! Having access to or getting a lift so that you can work sitting or standing will make nearly every wrenching job easier.
I'm 42 and after spending a couple hours on my back on the floor of my garage my wife comes in and says, "You need a lift!".

The door has been opened!

Unread 08-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
Ray S
Ironman
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Ray S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to beholdRay S is a splendid one to behold

Steve,

The 996 is a good car, but like most Porsche's it does have its weaknesses. In my opinion the intermediate shaft bearing design is a probably the biggest. Porsche in their wisdom decided to make this part sealed (it is not exposed to an engine oil bath unless the seal is broken) and it can fail.

If you do get a 996 or 986 I'd recommend you replace the stock part with an upgraded bearing from LN Engineering (that is exposed to engine oil). The best time for this install is when you change the clutch and are already in there. The bearing is not cheap so if you want an alternative Jake Raby makes a kit called the "IMS Guardian" that monitors the oil pan for metallic debris to provide advance warning of a bearing or other failure.

'00 986 (Sold)
'02 996 C2 (Sold)
'08 997 Turbo aka "Silver Bullet"
Ray S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun

UDPride is a splendid one to beholdUDPride is a splendid one to beholdUDPride is a splendid one to beholdUDPride is a splendid one to beholdUDPride is a splendid one to beholdUDPride is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to UDPride

I swapped a 951 I had for 10 years with a Cayman S. I loved the 951, but never ever ever ever looked back. I had thought about a 996, but wanted something a bit newer. The A/C always works the butt warmers work the wipers always work, the odometer isnt destined to crap out, the headlights are actually useful.

Its great to know I have 27 miles of driving range left, and stuff like that. The days of watching my 951 thermostat pop off in hot weather just got old for me. No fun watching the needle just to make sure its working. My fear is one time it will go up and never come down.
3. I want the government to basically leave me alone. Don't call me, I'll call you.
4. Unofficial Reutterwerk Food Critic.
UDPride is offline   Reply With Quote