Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Air/Oil Cooled Forums > 993 Forum

Unread 12-28-2009, 02:44 PM   #16
DB_NC_95C2
User

DB_NC_95C2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
I am finally almost done with my install (sorry Curt, I have been using crimp caps, but I wanted to make sure I had all the connections correct first then want to go back and "do it right" so I will feel better about it). One question I have is about the antenna plug--doesn't seem to want to go in. Am I wrong in assuming this is just a standard connection? Just needs to be worked in, no?
Brian,
Do you have this adapter (see attached photos) ? Apparently when the previous owner installed the JVC I'm replacing, they put a male plug onto the antenna cable that plugged into the back of the JVC, but it doesn't fit into the CDR220. The male plug fits in the long end of this L-shaped elbow adapter, and the short shielded male plug goes into the back of the CDR220.
When UPS arrives today, I should have an extra one. Let me know if you don't have it and need it.

Click the image to open in full size.

'06 Mini Cooper (O.Z,MTH, Milltek & M7 tuned)

http://www.hakkinen.com/spain99-mh1st-easy.mp3

DB_NC_95C2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #17
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

BSL is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2 View Post
Brian,
Do you have this adapter (see attached photos) ? Apparently when the previous owner installed the JVC I'm replacing, they put a male plug onto the antenna cable that plugged into the back of the JVC, but it doesn't fit into the CDR220. The male plug fits in the long end of this L-shaped elbow adapter, and the short shielded male plug goes into the back of the CDR220.
When UPS arrives today, I should have an extra one. Let me know if you don't have it and need it.

David-
No, actually I don't have one of those. If you have an extra you are willing to sell, I am interested. If no extra, did you just get it from Becker?

Thanks!

1995 C2 Cab - lots of goodies from the previous owner

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 07:02 PM   #18
DB_NC_95C2
User

PM sent, I should have an extra tomorrow

Unread 12-29-2009, 11:18 AM   #19
DB_NC_95C2
User

Brian,
I have the extra antenna cable adapter, answered your PM. PM me back your mailing address.

So, the saga gets even better. The cable from Becker (I asked for the cable that would run from the HiFi under-passenger-seat amp in a '95 to the head unit) was about 7 inches long. It goes into the back of the head unit but it in no way goes to the underseat Nokia amp. SO the tech at the local Porsche store found the OEM cable that would go from the underseat amp to the (presumably) Becker AM/FM/Cassette that the car would have had when new. He's ordered it, but I won't send this other cable back to Becker just yet, because it may serve some purpose in the overall picture, but hopefully it won't be needed.

Had I any idea it was going to be this much of a pain, I might have stayed with the JVC.

But on a side note, I found a good price/good sale that ended yesterday (15%) on OEM litronic headlights from automotion.com, and ordered them, so they should be here in time to do them and finish the stereo work at the same time.

Unread 12-29-2009, 03:31 PM   #20
BSL
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

BSL is on a distinguished road

Lots of fun, eh? I finally took the time to get the wiring correct and the i-pod working yesterday. Just took a little search to get the instructions for unlocking the AUX input... Next step is getting the updated faceplate (and antenna adapter--$$ sent David, thanks!).

1995 C2 Cab - lots of goodies from the previous owner

Previously:
2011 Boxster
2009 Cayenne
2007 C2 Cab
2006 Boxster
BSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 05:34 PM   #21
DB_NC_95C2
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSL View Post
Lots of fun, eh? I finally took the time to get the wiring correct and the i-pod working yesterday. Just took a little search to get the instructions for unlocking the AUX input... Next step is getting the updated faceplate (and antenna adapter--$$ sent David, thanks!).
It's on the way, Priority USPS. Let me know when it gets there.

Unread 01-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #22
DB_NC_95C2
User

I am now done. I had to get another adapter that connects the yellow Becker plug for pre-amp out (it's female and goes into the C slot left tabs) wired to a male plug that plugs into the female plug at the end of the Porsche cable to the underseat Nokia HiFi amp. I got this last adapter from SWS. I'm now completely and properly wired to the speakers,power,pre-amp. I had forgotten the CDR220 has a flashing LED, which I will leave enabled (looks like a security thing...)

My only problem is that the face of the CDR220 seems just a BIT too wide for the dash opening. Presumably a CDR210 would slide all the way into the dash and end up completely flush, but this CDR220 will not. It's about 1/4" from flush on both sides of the face. I am not willing to try to modify the sides of the faceplate or dash hole. It's not perfectly flush but it looks tons better than the ugly silver JVC. The faceplate mod is nice, it's a 'yellowish' LCD screen with black letters/numbers instead of the black LCD screen with 'yellowish' letters/numbers. Overall the sound with the HiFi amp is about the same as the JVC I had. I don't notice any brighter or less bright treble, or greater or lower bass.... and as I said before, I am not an audiophile when it comes to car stereo. Most of the time when the weather's nice the windows are open I revel to the engine note.

Unread 01-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #23
inkatouring
User

inkatouring is on a distinguished road

Several people have had this problem and if I recall correctly it is because of the cage for the CDR 210, which should be removed for the CDR220. All I can tell you is I replaced my CR-1 with a CDR 220 and it fits in perfectly with no modification to anything, although it is difficult to get it all the way in...

73 BMW 2002 touring (home made Alpina A4 clone)
95 993 Cab (DD)
08 BMW 328it (wife's)
inkatouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:50 AM   #24
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

I'm curious about your fitment with the CDR-220 as well. My TrafficPro is the same size dimensionally, but it fits completely flush like it should. Inkatouring is correct though - there's no cage used for the later Becker units, so if there's one in there now, it needs to come out.

If there isn't a cage, then there are a couple of other potential issues. The body of the becker is a little bigger than the factory radios, so the mount behind the console has to be modified slightly (the tabs need to be opened up more). Also, check the locking tabs on each side - they're adjustable and if they're not in the right spot, it could cause it from seating all the way in. Check the cables in the back of the radio too - they will get caught between the radio and the body keeping the radio from sliding all the way in.

Best way to check everything, IMO, is to remove the center console, place the trim over the radio opening and slide the radio in place. With the console out, you can check the locking tabs to make sure that they're in the right spot. Once you get the fit correct in the removed console, slide the radio into the support in the car. With the console out, you can check to see that the radio fits in the support or if it's binding. Once you get all that sorted, reinstall the console, but leave the cubby hole (or gauge panel) out until you get the radio in. With the cubby hole out of the way, you can reach through the opening to move the wires out of the way so the radio will slide all the way in. Make sure no wires get caught between the radio and the radio support!
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #25
DB_NC_95C2
User

CurtP - there's no way in hell I'm that DIY-friendly. I had the local Porsche tech do the work but I will save your info for future reference. It may be the tabs at the back, but I break EVERYTHING I touch. I got beaten to a pulp with 'how many rennlist thread pages does it take to change a bulb in a switch' responses to my questions on a rennlist thread about EXACTLY how to take apart the headlight switch to replace the bulb. I am bad news when it comes to DIY so BEFORE I try ANYTHING, I want copious explanations and pictures. So after all the sarcastic responses I flat told the responders to kiss my a$$. What you're describing looks like my issue but I'd rather have a CDR220 stick out 1/4" from flush with the dash than break something because so I'm so inept. There's a reason I test software instead of work on cars.
If you're ever in Raleigh I'll let you do it and make it worth your while ;-)