Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 924/944/968 Forum

Unread 07-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

As someone who drives well under 5K a year, I am in awe of your determination!
pontifex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontifex4 View Post
As someone who drives well under 5K a year, I am in awe of your determination!
My experience with both of my 944s has been the more they are driven, the beter they will behave...

They DO NOT like to be parked for periods of time, and will require more work once returned to service.

I would not hesitate to drive my 944 anywhere, any time, and once the 951 returns to the fold she will get quite the workout... as I am sure someone in NY might be able to appreciate her...

as well as a small GTG somewhere in GA...

OR

Ask me about my other stuffs!
John Koa Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

John Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to beholdJohn Koa Wood is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koa Wood View Post
OK, todays update...

When I returned her to the fold, she had 85654... I should roll 90K today... with 3K since the fest!
Wow, just going through some of my old posts... 4 months ago 85K.. now I am within spitting distance of 97K...

extent of maintenance I have had to do in 12K was replace 1 front wheel bearing, replace 1 fog light bulb, oil changes... and I have the antifreeze and brakefluid on hand to change those out.. other than that it has been get in, fuel up and drive!

OR

Unread 11-22-2010, 10:43 PM   #19
pontifex4
Hatchthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

pontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the roughpontifex4 is a jewel in the rough
Garage

Thereby proving your hypothesis. Keep driving!
pontifex4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM   #20
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

I've been driving the piss out of my car too. Every day to/from work. I'll be driving it again to WV on Wednesday (250 miles each way). Did the third oil change on Sunday. I wouldn't hesitate to drive the 951 anywhere. I have a couple of issues though - delaminated hatch glass, inop cruise control and the cam tower oil leak. Oh, and all the acorn dents on the hood and roof
CurtP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2010, 09:42 AM   #21
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

little more than a month since my last post, few minor issues, but nothing too bad..

spitting distance of 100K now.. wow the last 5 months has been hell...

OR

Unread 12-28-2010, 11:16 AM   #22
CurtP
Super User

CurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to allCurtP is a name known to all

Have you been driving it in this weather? I'm curious how it does if you are. Mine is inside the compound covered in a foot of snow. I could barely get out of my neighborhood today in the Grand Cherokee - I wouldn't dare take the 951 out.
Unread 12-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #23
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
Have you been driving it in this weather? I'm curious how it does if you are. Mine is inside the compound covered in a foot of snow. I could barely get out of my neighborhood today in the Grand Cherokee - I wouldn't dare take the 951 out.
Yup, drove from Stafford to Richmond in the snow last week (I95 was white all the way down), and from Richmond to Stafford in snow on Sunday.

Car does remarkably well, being so neutral, with so little power and torque low in the RPM band it remains controllable.. enough torque to spin em, but neutral handling makes for a predictable event.. just dont try to hard to "hammer" it or downshift hard..

I really enjoy driving the N/A, now the Audi (TT Quattro) is MUCH easier to drive in the weather, but the Porsche makes for more odd stares...

OR

Unread 12-28-2010, 02:12 PM   #24
CurtP
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Koa Wood View Post
but the Porsche makes for more odd stares...
That alone would make it worth digging the 951 out and taking it for a drive.

But my neighborhood had 6" thick ice all the way from my street to Kempsville, and Kempsville was still fucked up this morning. And I have Falken RT-615 tires. While they have been amazing in the rain, I don't think they'll do well on ice.

I need to update my project thread, but I'm waiting for some parts to come in and the weather to clear up so I can take pictures. I did manage to get the springs on the rear shocks which raised the ride height a full 2". I'm waiting to see if it settles some before I go adjusting the control arms. Right now it has that awesome '70's stance (in other words, it looks like shit).
Unread 12-31-2010, 12:15 AM   #25
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Lol... well, no sooner do I brag about her... she would not start this morning, nor this afternoon.. didn't have the heart to try this evening...

Tomorrow she comes into a heated garage for some overdue tlc.. and some diagnossis of the no start.. so far I have rulled out dme relay (swapped know good one).. have tach bounce.. have charged battery.. believe it is a fuel problem, but wasn't about to play with the fuel or spark while waiting to be picked up so I could pick up my audi...

In no time I will have the 400 or so miles on her to break 100K.. but I have been neglecting her for too long she decided...

On the deck is... oil change, rear wheel bearing change, front wheel bearing repack, perhaps a wheel swap, belt tensioning, rear ride height adjustment, and anything else that strikes my fancy... she just needs the love and attention right now.

OR

Unread 01-02-2011, 10:37 AM   #26
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Well, heated garage is what the doctor ordered... she fired up.. leading me to believe the no start is being caused by ice in the fuel lines... as both times it has happened the mornings have been well below freezing on les than half a tank..

I pulled the plugs and other than being fuel soaked they all look good.. I am going to send the in jectors off for cleaning, drain the rest of the fuel out of the tank and clean up he tank, change the pickup screen and filter.

Rear wheel bearings were a breeze, and are done, everything is back together, adjusted rear ride height, adjusted front wheel bearings, pick up oil filters today for a fresh oil change..

Adjusted belts for the millionth time, and have decided on an engine rebuild once the 951 is up and running need a full power steering system rebuild too...

She will drive again, just a few things to take care of before I trust her to be my DD again...

OR

Unread 01-04-2011, 08:36 AM   #27
CurtP
Super User

John,
I checked with Mike and he took the fuel pump back. It came from Bap Geon. It was branded Python and was around $120, but I don't recall the origin of manufacture - I suspect China based mainly from the price.
Unread 01-05-2011, 12:58 PM   #28
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
John,
I checked with Mike and he took the fuel pump back. It came from Bap Geon. It was branded Python and was around $120, but I don't recall the origin of manufacture - I suspect China based mainly from the price.
Well, I am installing the fuel pressure gauge from teh 951 onto the 944, and already have an 044 on hand for the 951, so I DO have a functioning fuel pump I could install to the 944 if needed.

Transplant the Ostrich and stuff to the 944 from the 951 and I can tune the maps on the 944 to acount for the additional fuel delivered by the 951 pump (minor increase)..

will need to get an O2 bung installed to the 944 so I can use WBO2 for tuning, but I do have a path forward.. first thing to do will be get the 5 gallons or so drained or burned out of the 944, and fully clean out the tank and fuel system.

Add GOOD gas beck into the system, and go from there.. also need to weather guard the balast resistor for my MSD coil, as it is also a potential problem, I cleaned it up before trying to start her again, and she fired right up after.. so I will be RTVing the hell out of the balast resistor.

All in all she should be returning to the fold soon, just taking the time to properly sort a few things out before she returns to duty.. and will be keeping the Audi as backup until I am assured the 944 is on board with the level of use again.. considering a full front end reseal, as long as the head gasket checks out fully good.... Cam tower is also leaking onto the exhaust.. so I DO have more work to do, and am taking the slow and steady approach to ensure many more miles can be enjoyed..

AND

Am considering selling her once she is sorted, Fergus is sending me a book for me to use in selecting a replacement.. but DAMN are 996 prices good, and a nice speed Yellow one I have been keeping an eye on is looking nice...

HINT HINT Speed Yellow 996 C4... 6 Speed, leather, sport seats, sunroof...

It is under 20K...

OR

Unread 02-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #29
John Koa Wood
Enthusiast
Reutterwerk
Supporter

WOW has it been a rough month..

Head rebuilt, head gasket replaced, PS lines rebuilt, PS rack rebuilt, cam tower rebuilt, front end reseal, coolant tank replaced, trans output seals replaced, rear wheel bearings replaced, alternator replaced, fuel pickup replaced, trans mount replaced..

500 or so miles since Saturday, and yet to see a puddle left underneath!

am glad to finally be able to drive her some place, and not be worried about how much fluid is going to leak out, or how it will smell when I get there..

OR

Unread 02-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #30
CurtP
Super User

Sweet. I'll have to tackle the cam tower oil leak soon. I'm not looking forward to it.