Reutterwerk
Go Back   Reutterwerk > Porsche Water Cooled Forums > 996 Forum

Unread 10-23-2008, 08:53 PM   #16
Wellardmac
Reutterwerk Smartass

Wellardmac is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Wellardmac Send a message via Yahoo to Wellardmac

Thanks! I'm eager to shine up the car again soon.
Unread 06-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #17
johnnyreb2010
User

johnnyreb2010 is on a distinguished road
Garage
Question quixx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tippy View Post
Good job Wayne! Claying is pretty fun and it really feels like you are doing the paint some good,

Looks great!
little different note, i used some of this scratch remover called quixx, no sanding, jus #1 & #2 applications, & it left a little small patch that was real hazy, tried to wax & buff, but it's still has that haze look, any suggestions?
johnnyreb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
johnnyreb2010
User

Garage
Default claying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellardmac View Post
Here's an account of a detailing job that I did earlier in the year.

The nice weather convinced me to finally try the Mcguires clay bar kit that I've had sitting under my bench for the last year.

... the car was washed, clay barred while wet, hand dried, one coat of Mother's Glaze/sealer applied by hand and removed by a random orbital buffer. The wax coat was Mother's Carnuba wax - applied by hand, removed, buffed, and polished using the buffer. I then finished with a hand buff with a microfiber cloth. Stainless was polished using Mother's Billet metal polish.

I'm really impressed with the results. The car is in pretty good shape anyway, as I'm a freak for keeping the paintwork in good shape, but I'm really impressed with the results. The clay bar treatment really did a nice job of taking off the surface haze and the glaze coat really helped take out the minor swirls.

Total time, start to finish, approx 5 hours.

It's worth it just to see the mirror finish on the doors.

Now if only it wasn't so damned cold when I started this morning... ice was forming on the paintwork while I was doing the clay bar treatment - it was brutal. I kept having to come inside to warm up my hands and the clay.
when you clay a car, do you just keep the area your doin wet & rub the clay bar on that area, about a 2 x 2 size at a time, i've heard it's mostly for a car that has oxidation, or overspray, or swirl marks, if you don't hav any of these, do you still need to clay it?
Unread 06-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
Wellardmac
Reutterwerk Smartass

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyreb2010 View Post
little different note, i used some of this scratch remover called quixx, no sanding, jus #1 & #2 applications, & it left a little small patch that was real hazy, tried to wax & buff, but it's still has that haze look, any suggestions?
I'm guessing that the scratch remover was a little too large in particle size - small abrasive particles shouldn't leave any scratches or haze - large ones will. I'm guessing that something went wrong in the process. I would leave that stuff alone and get a high quality scratch remover and try again (very carefully).

Quote:
when you clay a car, do you just keep the area your doin wet & rub the clay bar on that area, about a 2 x 2 size at a time, i've heard it's mostly for a car that has oxidation, or overspray, or swirl marks, if you don't hav any of these, do you still need to clay it?

Most clay bar kits come with a bottle of lubricant - use it liberally and never use the clay on an area that isn't lubricated.

All cars will collect microscopic dirt over time - the clay bar will remove it. You may think that your paint looks good prior to a clay bar treatment, but it will look amazing afterwards.
Unread 06-19-2010, 10:56 PM   #20
johnnyreb2010
User

Garage

thanks wellardmac, i'll give these a try, i'd seen on ebay that quixx was suppose to be the best scratch remover, even over m3 & some others! if you have a good paint job do you still use the clay bar, or is that for cars with oxidation, & overspray? thx
Unread 06-19-2010, 11:25 PM   #21
Wellardmac
Reutterwerk Smartass

Quote:
thanks wellardmac, i'll give these a try, i'd seen on ebay that quixx was suppose to be the best scratch remover, even over m3 & some others! if you have a good paint job do you still use the clay bar, or is that for cars with oxidation, & overspray? thx

My paint is pristine and I still use the clay bar once a year - it really makes a difference to the feel and appearance. Rub your finger over your point - it will be smooth, but you'll feel friction. After using the clay bar you'll feel nothing but a smooth low friction surface.

As for Quixx - I've never heard of it, not heard of anyone mention using it, so cannot comment on quality.

In terms of scratch remover, I only ever use Mother's scratch remover. 3M also makes an excellent product. If you search the porsche forums for other detailing threads like this I'm sure you'll find other recommendations.

What kind of scratch are you trying to remove?
Unread 06-20-2010, 12:01 AM   #22
johnnyreb2010
User

Garage

it's like a swirl of scratches about the size of a half dollar, not really sure what could have caused it, but its like alot of little scratches in a circle, which now the haze is twice that size now, but i even tried to clay it, then wax it, & buff it, still has a very dull (hazy) red color compared to rest of car
Unread 06-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #23
johnnyreb2010
User

Garage

i'm scared to try & use the sand paper that came with kit, but that may be my only other option, i jus can't bring back to gloss to it
Unread 06-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #24
johnnyreb2010
User

Garage

wellardmax, i jus noticed looking at the front of your car, do you have the covers on your headlights, i've been thinking about gettin some for my car, do that fit pretty snug, & are you happy with them, i've got one of my headlights that i jus can't quite get it clear enough, i've pretty much tried everything, but i've thought about gettin the covers, if so who did you get yours from, i seen where they have some that are from hong kong, but they look identical to all the others, but are 1/2 the price. your thoughts
Unread 06-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #25
Wellardmac
Reutterwerk Smartass

Quote:
it's like a swirl of scratches about the size of a half dollar, not really sure what could have caused it, but its like alot of little scratches in a circle, which now the haze is twice that size now, but i even tried to clay it, then wax it, & buff it, still has a very dull (hazy) red color compared to rest of car
Quote:
i'm scared to try & use the sand paper that came with kit, but that may be my only other option, i jus can't bring back to gloss to it

Do not use sandpaper! If these are just swirls, then they should easily be removed.

Here's a link to another forum that covered the topic well. Everything that you need is posted here.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...irl-marks.html
Unread 06-20-2010, 09:00 AM   #26
Wellardmac
Reutterwerk Smartass

Quote:
wellardmax, i jus noticed looking at the front of your car, do you have the covers on your headlights, i've been thinking about gettin some for my car, do that fit pretty snug, & are you happy with them, i've got one of my headlights that i jus can't quite get it clear enough, i've pretty much tried everything, but i've thought about gettin the covers, if so who did you get yours from, i seen where they have some that are from hong kong, but they look identical to all the others, but are 1/2 the price. your thoughts

I do have covers on the front, but, know very little about them other than the previous owner installed them and that I was told that they were made by Gemballa. I would not have installed them myself, but they don't look terrible and it would cause more hassle to take them off.