Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 07-16-2020, 01:17 AM   #216
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

The shifting problem was pretty obvious and it was the shifter cup. THe plstic liner had cracked away and the cup had, eventually, come completely off the ball.Gotta kick myself for not replacing this when the whole drivetrain was on the floor of the garage. Fortunately, I had a new one (spotted it cheap on eBay) and could actually find it.

Replacing the shifter cup was fiddly and took about 5 hours. The critical part was getting the jam nut loose that's holding the cup to the rod. After 40 (?) years it could be corroded solid.

To get access, the exhaust system needs to be dropped and the forward heat shield removed. The shift lever needs to be released from both of the rods. THe the forward rod can be pulled to the side enough to access the cup. Not much room and hard to get leverage. With a vice grip on the rod and multiple attempt, the jam nut came loose. Luckily, the cup unscrewed without tools.

Getting the new cup on takes some luck to get the threads started. It's also important to measure how far to screw it in so the lever will be positioned right. Once the cup is back on, it'd be miserable to remove it.

With the cup on, it's time to reconnect the rods to the shift lever. I lubed the cup with white lithium grease. It took a while to get it positioned over the ball but then a crow bar levering against the top of the tunnel made short work of forcing it on. Done! Except for the rest of the reassembly...

Shifts nice. Maybe I'll stuff some GT3s at the next event. There's always hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ShifterCup.jpg (140.6 KB, 0 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (07-16-2020)