Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 10-13-2019, 10:56 PM   #214
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

I've put the electrics to right...at least mostly.

The problem with the speedometer was the speedometer itself. With the instrument cluster out, I could compare the resistance into the speedo to anther unit. Swapped in another speedo and now it works.

The connector for the coolant temperature is still a little fussy. Needs a wiggle to make it work, sometimes.

The voltage measurement seems better but the gauge still drips too much when the turn signal goes on. What helped with that was cleaning the power feed from the jump post. There are three heavy gauge wires that run from the post and plug into the front of the fuse panel.

Something I found was that the wiring diagram doesn't completely match the wiring diagram. Something that really stymied me is below. Schematic Part IX shows that the "right side" connector to the pod has a wire between 7R and 11R. 11R connects to the ground for most of gauges and the wire from it runs, eventually, to the speedo pick-up. Measuring the speedo pick-up wire in the fuse panel to ground showed like 7 Ohms when according to the diagram it should be zero.

With the pod removed, I could measure that 7R was not connected to 11R. I expected a wire crimped into both of the pins. Looking at a spare harness (save everything!) it wasn't connected either. Eventually, what I found was that 7R and 11R were connected as a clean short in the pod. Argh...

But, now the speedo works. The turn signal light works all the time. The horn tang is re-attached. The intermittent wiper works. All the pod lights work.

But, that gear for the odometer was broken on the old speedo and just crumbled on its replacement. Next time...

I was at the track, BIR, last weekend for one final time this year. Had some issues with oil ejection and brakes but still had some good runs. With the speedo working, I could see the car posting 150 mph going into turn 1. I've often thought The Zombie had more power than my other 928 and, it seems, that's true. The other car will typically post nearer 140.

Now to get the engine fully sorted and see what the lap times are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WiringIXdetail.jpg (33.5 KB, 168 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (07-16-2020)