Thread: A new car!
View Single Post
Unread 04-18-2015, 01:17 AM   #109
GlenL
Workin' on it

GlenL will become famous soon enoughGlenL will become famous soon enough
Garage

Since the whole clutch and the bellhousing was out I thought I'd try something different. Why not assembly the clutch to the bellhousing and put that in as a unit? Genius work? Well, not quite. It was a lot easier to lift the whole assembly into place, hook it onto the studs for the bellhousing and bolt it down.

With the alignment pins started it wasn't hard to tap them the rest of the way through the flywheel. That can be a headache.

What I didn't consider was putting in the upper bolts for the torque tube. Those were almost inaccessible. I could get a 1/4" ratchet and about 1 tooth of ratchet. Took a while to get the bolts snug and then I could get a wrench on it plus some 3/8" ratchet action. Had to alternate tools and ended up putting a jack handle on the 1/4" wrench to torque it down. Didn't bust it and it seems tight. I'll check when the clutch comes out next. That'll be when I pull the engine which should be inside the next year.

The second pick shows a detail of tapping the 3 "U" shims down a bit. The wires will touch the inside of the bellhousing otherwise and make it hard to turn the assembly.

Before putting in the clutch, the flywheel went on. I re-used the bolts and also put in used pilot bearing. I plan to replace the bolts and bearing with new when I do the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CAM00511.jpg (134.4 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg CAM00512.jpg (115.9 KB, 55 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to GlenL For Your Post:
carlege (04-18-2015)